What's causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's causing this?

Alright just washed my truck this morning and I notice my wheels are having issues. One of the rear wheels is actually peeling. A couple of the others look like maybe pitting? My wheels are only 10 months old so just wondering what may be causing this. A little background on the products I use to clean my wheels/tires. Was using Bleech White up til a couple of months ago and then quit using it. Last couple of times I've used something called Purple Power. The only thing I use on the tires that could get on the wheels is hyper dressing.

Here's a couple shots of the peeling and what I think is pitting.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First, who did you shoot prior to taking those pics?
Those look like shells in the reflection?

As for what you're seeing...

Pretty tough to decypher in the pictures. It looks like the chrome (where the water spotting is located) looks 'splattered'... is that what you're talking about? The real real fine 'pitting' (or so it looks from here) that you're describing?

Can you get me some specifications on the ole' Purple Power product? I know about Westley's...

Lastly, they don't look like they're coated, correct? No clear?

-RP-

Old 02-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RE: Spec on Purple Power

Who makes it and where is it made? I'm coming up with multiple MSDS sheets for it -- not sure which to use.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Some Mother's Mag polish will fix that bottom one right up.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
First, who did you shoot prior to taking those pics?
Those look like shells in the reflection?

As for what you're seeing...

Pretty tough to decypher in the pictures. It looks like the chrome (where the water spotting is located) looks 'splattered'... is that what you're talking about? The real real fine 'pitting' (or so it looks from here) that you're describing?

Can you get me some specifications on the ole' Purple Power product? I know about Westley's...

Lastly, they don't look like they're coated, correct? No clear?

-RP-
The shells that you're describing is the actual chrome layer is peeling back so no I don't believe ther eis any clear on them. Simply a layer of chrome plating it looks like.

Yeah in the shot where it looks like water spots, those are actually the areas I'm talking about. They're not water spots, but what I thought was what some describe as pitting.

The Purple Power is made by Clean-rite. On that back of the bottle it says "For use on: ABS Plastic, Anodized, Chrome and Clear Coated Factory Treated Wheels and Hubcaps. Caution: Do not use on aluminum or polished aluminum wheels as streaking or hazing may occur."

In the Danger section it states "Contains ammonium biflouride and ammonium floride."

Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Have you gotten salt spray from the ocean on them? Just a thought....

Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Copenhagen848
Have you gotten salt spray from the ocean on them? Just a thought....
I've only been to the beach a couple of times and the last time was on Christmas day. If it's that then I'll just end up using these wheels til I get back to CONUS and buy a new set in 3 years.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:16 PM
As a metal plater, I'd say it looks like the chrome is poorly plated in some spots.

I plate aerospace metal, but I'm guessing rim companies do it the same way (roughly).

Take a piece of masking tape and put it over where one of the peeling spots is... if a lot of the chrome comes off, you have poor adhesion to either the base material or nickel/copper (depends) strike that they use for good adhesion of the chrome.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Ouch, I hate to see this especially since I have the exact same wheels. Maybe try contacting Wheel Pros who makes Helo? My wheels are pitting a little also, but its from running them in the winter with the salt. I always have said that if they got pitted bad enough or something like that happened, I would get them powdercoated black.

I have some mothers mag polish, would this be safe to use the these wheels?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Suspended
Wow, that's no good. I'd call up the wheel manufacture ASAP !!!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Wow, that's no good. I'd call up the wheel manufacture ASAP !!!
When I had my lift done I took my truck to the offroad shop and told them exactly what I wanted, they ordered everything for me. I sent them pics though yesterday and am now waiting on a response. Hoping I can return at least the peeling wheel for a new one.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:59 PM
its both of the products you are using to clean the wheels. STOP using them or it will just get worse.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Need4racin
its both of the products you are using to clean the wheels. STOP using them or it will just get worse.
I agree !!

I thought he was only using it on the tires but now that I re-read it. WOW!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't have any experience with Bleech white but I would certainly not make a habit of using Purple Power on wheels. I use it occassionally to clean my white letters but I try not to get it on the wheels and rinse it immediately. Definately don't get it on the paint.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Actually I only used the Bleech White on the tires themselves, but I did spray it all over the tire and some did get on the wheel itself. I used the Purple Power on the wheel itself to get the brake dust off because that what it states it's specifically for. I will stop using both products though. Is simple green safe to use for cleaning the wheels themselves? Thanks

Quick Reply: What's causing this?