Broke a backing plate. What?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke a backing plate. What?

So I was polishing away, at slightly less than 6. I turned off the DA, and go to set it down to get more product. The pad and backing plate fell off.

It looks like the plastic from the plate got really hot and just melted right off. It separated in a pentagon shape where the bolt is.

It was pretty hot at the time, but wow. I wasn't using any pressure what so ever. Any ideas?

Tony

Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Suspended
What were you using to need speed #6 !?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 PM
There are documented issues with heat causing backing plate failures when running at speeds higher than 5.

Why were you running higher than 5? what product and pad combo?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Using PB's pro polish on white lake. Me and RR didn't have issues doing my truck with the same combo.

Tony

Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
You shouldnt have problems using speed 6 with the PC. However, you dont need to be using the pro polish on speed 6.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Talked to Scott at SM (where I got the plate.)

He said that Speed 6 is what he uses all the time when he is polishing. When RR and I did my truck, we used 6 with the pro-polish, and the last two cars I did myself I used speed 6 (until the plate broke.)

Scott said that it should not have broken. He is sending me a new plate and will be sending the broken one back to the manufacturer.

For those wary of trying speed 6 with polish, I'd say do it. It makes a big difference in shine.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by attworth
For those wary of trying speed 6 with polish, I'd say do it. It makes a big difference in shine.

In my opinion... that is VERY poor advice.

There are literally thousands of polishing products out there on the market and very few will actually require the need for the PC to be set on 6. In fact, you risk actually causing quite a bit of a problem by using certain polishes on 6 versus a 4 or even 3.5.

Make sure you know the ins' and outs' before you make a blanket statement like that, attworth. Not trying to call you out here but, this is the type of statement that causes some people tremendous problems rather than helping them out.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
In my opinion... that is VERY poor advice.

There are literally thousands of polishing products out there on the market and very few will actually require the need for the PC to be set on 6. In fact, you risk actually causing quite a bit of a problem by using certain polishes on 6 versus a 4 or even 3.5.

Make sure you know the ins' and outs' before you make a blanket statement like that, attworth. Not trying to call you out here but, this is the type of statement that causes some people tremendous problems rather than helping them out.
My apologies.

Let me rephrase and say that using a PC on Speed 6 with a White Lake CEVC pad and PB's Pro-Polish has yielded great results for me.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Personally i dont run a PC much at speed 6...i do it at speed 5....and make no mistake about it i am nobody to challenge the elders here...but Rockpick, i am interested in learning more on a polish removing defects at speed 3.5....and with the limited power of a PC, wouldnt that just take forever and a day to fully break the polish down? Please explain more.....im very interested

Old 02-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Moderator &

I like #9 at 3.5 as it's not so much 'removing' the problem as it is filling the problem. I actually learned this subtle trick from one of the guys at Meguiar's while out there in training when I was helping with MOL. It's a little bit more pressure (slight) and a slower speed... the filling products, in my opinion, tend to work slightly better and require fewer passes, IMO.

That said, #9 is just about the only product that I think you can get away with doing that with... Maybe #81...

Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
By reading the description it seems Pro Polish is just a paint cleaner. So again, no need to use it on speed 6. As Rock said, with certain polishes speed 6 is necessary.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! Makes perfect sense...but i know i cant stand #9....even though it isnt labeled, i feel it is nothing more than a glaze...obviously because of the filling properties and very little removal

Old 02-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Moderator &

I'm not a #9 fan so much either but, it does have a place. I prefer not to conceal but, there are instances where I've found it necessary - and even advantageous.

Like you, I like the polishing oils in it as it really does add a nice deep gloss but, #7 will do the same with less worries IMO.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by RockPick
I like #9 at 3.5 as it's not so much 'removing' the problem as it is filling the problem. I actually learned this subtle trick from one of the guys at Meguiar's while out there in training when I was helping with MOL. It's a little bit more pressure (slight) and a slower speed... the filling products, in my opinion, tend to work slightly better and require fewer passes, IMO.
I wish you would of told me this when I first started out. I had to learn this on my own and it took quite a few attempts with #9 to get the right technique. I'm almost right on you with the technique except I have been using a little closer to a speed of 3.7-3.8.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I wish you would of told me this when I first started out. I had to learn this on my own and it took quite a few attempts with #9 to get the right technique. I'm almost right on you with the technique except I have been using a little closer to a speed of 3.7-3.8.
It is more satisfying when you figure it out on your own.

Quick Reply: Broke a backing plate. What?