Calling RollingRock

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RollingRock is a little busy right now. He, like RockPick, is trying to (tactfully) word responses to the following questions (for the 27th time) to folks who can neither write, spell, search or wait.

1. Which wax is best for my vehicle?
2. What is a PC, DA, etc?
3. Why did I just burn through my paint (and half way through the steel) on my front fender with a high-speed rotary, fast cut compound, and 400 pounds of force on my first detailing attempt? Can I fix this with my Pops a Dent?
4. Does the stuff that Billy Mays sells really work?
5. If I don’t have clay, will pottery work just as well?
6. If I don’t have a polish to use before waxing, will Polish Sausage work just as well?
7. Does the Polish Sausage Billy Mays sells really work?
8. What is the Sticky at the top of this forum for?

And you wonder why he drinks? Sometimes I don’t think we realize how much these guys help us. Keep up the good work guys!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked

And you wonder why he drinks? Sometimes I don’t think we realize how much these guys help us. Keep up the good work guys!

Definately, I'm really grateful for how much I've learned, err, been taught, from some of the guys on here.

The thing I appreciate the most is that you never get a "do a search" response.. It bugs me when I see responses like that, I mean most of the time before someone starts a thread, chances are they already searched and couldn't find their answer. And even then, nobody is FORCED to answer a thread; if you don't feel like answering, then don't answer.

But the bottom line is, you guys really are awesome

Old 02-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by MOford21
I mean most of the time before someone starts a thread, chances are they already searched and couldn't find their answer.
I guess there is no way to know for sure if they've searched, but I'd guess no search was done the majority of the time. You can tell by the questions that are asked. When someone asks, "What's a DA?" or "What's a PC?" "Or what DA would you guys recommend?" or "What package should I buy from ADS?" it's obvious that they spent no time searching. Anyone who spends more than 5 minutes reading through the threads here should be able to gather that 99% of the people here use the PC7424/G100. No one on this forum should have to ask what a DA or PC is because every thread that it's mentioned in eventually has someone asking "What is a DA?" and guys like RP or RR or F150sport and others reply with DA=Dual Action or PC=Porter Cable for the billionth time.

When I first started reading this forum, I did not know all of the abbreviations, but after about an hour or two reading through the posts you're able to put 2 and 2 together and you learn what everyone means when they start talking about DA's and #80 and PB and MF.

I realize that everyone has to start somewhere...my advice for that starting point: spend a half hour reading the sticky (that's all it takes) then spend a couple hours reading through as many threads on this forum as you can and at the manufacturer's websites (of the products talked about here) reading up on the products they offer. At that point, if you have questions, ask them. If you're serious about getting your truck looking good, spending this time up front to learn about products/processes/techniques is nothing compared to the hours and days you will spend actually doing the work.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
We are in the age of instant gratification. People can't be bothered spending some time reading, searching, and researching before asking questions. They expect to be spoonfed. I for one am less likely to want to help someone like this who can't be bothered to try to help themself first. If someone does their homework, then wants clarification on things, I'm very willing to help. I'm far from OCD, I'm far from being a detailing expert, but I do have some knowledge and when I do speak up I'm generally treated with respect and I do appreciate that greatly.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:26 PM
add a sticky dictionary to the top of the detail forum that can grow and add words as more are needed. the new one(hot word of the month) is the flex...i would guess that 80% that log on here to ask about is the turtle wax that they had since 1984 when the last time they used it was on thier corvette, then drove around the town to let it set hard, but had to cruise it to show everyone that they were waxing that ride, if that wax is still good or should they opt for the nu finish on isle 9 from autozone.....these are the people that would need the dictionary

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good idea, troberts...

Anyone care to start one... I'll gladly stick it and lock it so that we can add as we go. Good idea.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
OK. That one made me LOL.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Good idea, troberts...

Anyone care to start one... I'll gladly stick it and lock it so that we can add as we go. Good idea.
RP, RR... I'm assuming you guys can edit and add to any post as needed, correct?

I would gladly start the sticky and fill in what little I know. I would leave obvious blanks for the stuff that I don't know, and hopefully y'all would help me fill 'em in.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RollingRock is a little busy right now. He, like RockPick, is trying to (tactfully) word responses to the following questions (for the 27th time) to folks who can neither write, spell, search or wait.

1. Which wax is best for my vehicle?
2. What is a PC, DA, etc?
3. Why did I just burn through my paint (and half way through the steel) on my front fender with a high-speed rotary, fast cut compound, and 400 pounds of force on my first detailing attempt? Can I fix this with my Pops a Dent?
4. Does the stuff that Billy Mays sells really work?
6. If I don’t have a polish to use before waxing, will Polish Sausage work just as well?
7. Does the Polish Sausage Billy Mays sells really work?
8. What is the Sticky at the top of this forum for?

And the answers are:

1. Whatever floats your boat. Just remember, effort equals results. Easy rarely works.
2. Personal Computer, Duck’s A__ (Popular hair style in the 50’s)
3. Because you’re stupid. Ask Billy Mays.
4. Only his hair coloring – and it’s also great for sealing driveways.
5. Only if it’s unfired.
6. Only if you get the stuff with “natural casings.”
7. We should all hope that Bill Mays sausage doesn‘t work.
8. Probably the Bourbon & Hyper Dressing that Jason just spit out laughing.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepyMax
RP, RR... I'm assuming you guys can edit and add to any post as needed, correct?

I would gladly start the sticky and fill in what little I know. I would leave obvious blanks for the stuff that I don't know, and hopefully y'all would help me fill 'em in.
Yes. I can edit any post on the site. If you want to take it on, I'd be more than happy to sticky and edit as we go. I think it would be advantageous for it to be in alphabetical order.

What I'll do is sticky your first post and leave it 'unlocked' so that others may post to the thread. Once one acronym or # set is posted, I'll C&P it up to the main post and delete the post from the individual who posted. In turn, everyone can contribute to the sticky - not just us.

All in all though, it won't be for discussion on products - those posts will get snubbed. It'll just be a reference.

Giver' a go if you'd like, Sleepy! Thanks man!

-RP-

Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 PM
The dictionary would be great for a reference and learning tool for all who are new to the detailing and paint care game.

I know that I have searched and searched, and everyone is right: the same threads keep getting started.

Hopefully my thread on which product to use didn't upset anyone! I had a general idea of what I was going to use, but wanted some other opinions.

Thanks to everyone in this section.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Just a thought... maybe we should add useful links to that sticky... like ADS or product manufacturers maybe some other detailing sites...just throwing it out there

Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Meffects01
Just a thought... maybe we should add useful links to that sticky... like ADS or product manufacturers maybe some other detailing sites...just throwing it out there
I agree that some other sites should be on there. SM for example is a good supplier of PB's stuff. Pakshak has a good variety. Autogeek carries some good stuff.

The sticky only contains a link to ADS and the wax station.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I am a member on many sites and on all of them when people go to old threads and type the get called a troll. That is why most keep asking the same question over and over. If its the same question don't reply or point them to the other threads. Just be nice when you do.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Hello fellow OCD'ers

I am here, sort of. Appreciate the PM's trying to track me down etc. I have been trolling a bit....but I just needed a break from posting.

F150oneline has become a large part of my life and time...and with that I have sacrificed a lot of personal/family time so without going into a lot of detail lets just say I need to not post as much. I'll be around some here and there but prob not as much as of late.

I did see a lot of threads I wanted to respond to but I figure you guys had it all covered so I showed some restraint by not posting. Think its easy? Try pushing away from the site for 4-5 days...it gets in your bloodstream like a good shot of Hyperdressing and some Nattys Red.

Over the past weekend I did manage to wash and polish our camper and apply some LSP to the front and rear....why stop there right? Happen to wash, clay and wax my bicycle too.

Anyway, just stopping in to say hello. Things are good...

EDIT....BTW, good idea on the new sticky....

Quick Reply: Calling RollingRock