NXT 2.0 disapointment..discuss

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NXT 2.0 disapointment..discuss

Was going to do a test spot on my beater car's hood to take pictures of later to show the difference of protection of using multiple products verses just a cleaner/wax. Clayed and then using my G100 I did the whole hood in #9 and then did one side with Meg's #6 cleaner/wax and the other Meg's #7 and NXT 2.0.

Fast forward one month and two washes.

Washed today and both sides of the hood to my complete suprise were nearly identical in beading and looks. NXT side feels a little more smooth but that's about it. I expected quite a bit more difference. Little to no beading was present so I didn't take a picture.

What do Ya'll think? Messed up in application? It's a 98 with less than perfect paint. Maybe that was the problem?

Not a problem really. Just thought it might make for decent discussion.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Suspended
Have you done both washes? If not, do you know what was used as far as soap goes.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep in mind that the level of beading isn't necessarily a measure of protection. If you're getting some level of beading, it's almost a sure thing that protection is on the surface. Plus, for your examination on this one, I think it's a tad early to really assess the long term durability... JMO.

Give it another month to 6 weeks and then assess. I'd be very interested in hearing your results.

You like the #6's cleaning ability?

Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 PM
I think the #6 an "alright" cleaner. I like if for quick jobs or for people that don't want to pay a lot for the multiple steps. i.e. I like it for a one step lsp.

Was more of a sheeting action than a beading. Which I know means that there is something there. Now the truck that also has NXT 2.0 on it beaded like crazy but it also had clay, #9 x2, #7, NXT 2.0 x2, #26 x2. So definitely a difference in those two. LOL

Weather permiting it's getting #16 tomorrow.

I did both washes. Meg's gold class both times.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Moderator &

I've not tinkered with #6 much but, it's always been a product that I was interested in because of the EXACT reason that you mentioned (the wash & wax customer).

As for the 2.0, I've not really heard much negative about it from a longevity standpoint just yet -- it simply hasn't been out there and available for most for that great of a timeframe.

I'll stick with what I mentioned earlier though -- give it just a little longer. Maybe it totally blows and it's already faded or, maybe it'll last longer (as advertised). I think the jury is still out...

Naturally, as you know, the longevity will depend on so many factors that it's not really an apples to apples comparison for anyone else except you. Plus, the prep and all that jazz can influence it... again, as you know. I look forward to hearing about this in about a month...

While NXT wasn't the longest lasting synthetic out there (and I'm sure 2.0 isn't either), it's a very solid product (or it has been historically unless they really screwed up the formulation - which I doubt). They typically tweak for the better -- and, actually, they tweak regularly but rarely 'rebrand' or 'rename' product. That said, I assumed that the 'new' NXT was a significant enough 'tweak' to justify the name change. Who knows? I'm not in the 'inner circle' anymore on that stuff... (glad to not be there too, might I add).

-RP-

Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 PM
My initial take on NXT 2.0 have been a bit more positive. It's appearance and beading definitely last longer than the original NXT. However, it may not be protecting any longer than the original. Still, the longer lasting appearance and beading give one the impression that it is lasting longer.

When the weather gets better, I'll have a chance to get a better handle on it.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Had a little rain today and was good example picture for you guys. Maybe some of you have better eyes than I. maybe nxt has a more round bead than the #6?

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Honestly I think you are reading a tad bit in to much with the water beading. I don't really see a big difference between either side. Obviously it's going to take some time for you to see how you really like the product, especially the durability. Wash it down really good in a few weeks and see what side looks better at that point. I would really hope that any wax product would hold up really strong after just a month or so. I'd be more interested in seeing where you are at two to three months.

From what I have read Meguiars had three big hitting points on the 2.0 formulation versus the original NXT wax. One being that it would give your car a much deeper, wetter look to the finish. Two, which was that it no longer had a powdery residue when it dried. Last but probably the most important in your book was the beading. This wax is supposed to last longer and cause more beading then the original wax.

I would personally be more interested in seeing a hood that had the original NXT on the left with NXT 2.0 on the right at different stages during a three month period.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Suspended
Did you say water beading !?

Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Suspended
Pretty Pic! You should frame it. ^^^

Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Suspended
I love it .. only reason why I wanted to show it off in this thread.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Moderator &

I have got to be honest with you here JGG... I think you're approaching being more over the top than any of us here.

From what I can see, it's apples to apples right now.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
LOL not saying there is a problem of any kind.

Just opening up some new discussion away from the "how do I get swirls out of black paint" duldrom.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant

Just opening up some new discussion away from the "how do I get swirls out of black paint" duldrom.

...and, for that, you get a cookie.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant

Sorry didn't mean to insinuate anything.

Do you think that the 2.0 is easier to remove then the original once it has dried? I was just curious if the same rule of thumb of putting on a really thin coat still applied with the new formula.

Quick Reply: NXT 2.0 disapointment..discuss