My diamond cut toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My diamond cut toolbox

Ok I have a good plan for detailing the truck except for my Aluminum tool box. It has oxidized a fair amount but no pitting. Just very cloudy.I don't want to sling product everywhere with a Mothers polishing ball and doing this by hand has "hell no" wrote all over it. Has anyone polished one of these boxes before? Any ideas on how I can make it as painless as possible? I have considered tossing it but that is just not an option. :P

Old 02-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go buy an 'el-cheapo' orbital buffer from Wal-Mart, a jar of NXT Metal Polysh (or something similar), and go to town.

I don't recommend that on paint but, the cheapo orbital on a metal plate won't be a harm or a detailing foul.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to Lowes and by the "Truck Box" section you'll find a product called Diamond Brite Truck Box Polish. It's about $13, but worth it. It's got some sort of abrasive in it that takes off the oxidation real quick. Works great on my Lightning SS exhaust pipes.

Jim

Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Sorry to highjack, but would the same steps be followed for a black box? Well, it's still rather "new" so this is more for preventative measures. Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
Sorry to highjack, but would the same steps be followed for a black box? Well, it's still rather "new" so this is more for preventative measures. Thanks
I usually use a good cleaner QD on my black box. Mine has a thin "painted" like coating which is prone to chips, so I'm scared to scrub it with anything.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Go buy an 'el-cheapo' orbital buffer from Wal-Mart, a jar of NXT Metal Polysh (or something similar), and go to town.

I don't recommend that on paint but, the cheapo orbital on a metal plate won't be a harm or a detailing foul.

I concur. However I've never seen NXT Polysh in stores. I have some of Meg's aluminum polish that I used on my old truck's box. Orbital, MF bonnet and polish. Looks good still after 9 years. (Uncles truck now)

Old 02-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by attworth
I usually use a good cleaner QD on my black box. Mine has a thin "painted" like coating which is prone to chips, so I'm scared to scrub it with anything.
i understand not wanting paint to chip and all, but at the same time, it is a tool box, things are going to happen, just pick up some touchup paint, and go over it once a month or something.

but as far as the aluminum tool box try the "wonderball" or whatever it is called, it will make life much much easier. im talking about the big red ball that goes on the end of your drill.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by ELVATO
Here's a thread about how I cleaned my black diamondplate box with pictures.

Quick Reply: My diamond cut toolbox