What to use/do to take swirls out......

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to use/do to take swirls out......

Ive noticed my truck has swirly marks everywhere. What can i do to take care of this?? BTW, this is an awsome section, never realized how technical yall make detailing sound!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Give it a good rub down with some 80grit sandpaper then top that off with some wax.

Or...

You could read the sticky at the top of this forum. Have a great day.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Search Button is quite handy. Here are 10 threads dealing with swirls in the first page of search results alone. If you havn't read the sticky do that first and foremost.

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10

Last edited by Jolly_Green_Giant; 02-14-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by vinson
Ive noticed my truck has swirly marks everywhere. What can i do to take care of this?? BTW, this is an awsome section, never realized how technical yall make detailing sound!
I would recommend reading the sticky..

BUT...

If you're doing everything by hand I can't really make a good recommendation. Everything you do by hand will take much longer and generally yield less result than if you used a machine, like a dual action polisher (DA.)

I personally use the Poorboy's SSR series with a G100 DA, and get great results.

Some of the more versed elders will respond shortly I am sure, so please stick around!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 AM
thanks, I started reading the sticky, man what alot of info there. Looks like just detailing can get pretty pricey. Never realized how much goes into it. Ive always just went to walmart got a bucket and cheap wash and wash with a bugscrubber! What an idiot Ive been. I need to get me alist of product to buy and have onhand when im ready to clean.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 AM
thanks, I started reading the sticky, man what alot of info there. Looks like just detailing can get pretty pricey. Never realized how much goes into it. Ive always just went to walmart got a bucket and cheap wash and wash with a bugscrubber! What an idiot Ive been. I need to get me alist of product to buy and have onhand when im ready to clean.
Welcome to the OCD club. I still buy stuff at wal-mart. They carry Meg's Gold Class Wash, and some other little goodies I like to keep around.

You'll want to build up a nice arsenal of MF towels (not wal-mart ones.)

Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM
ugh....the quick and easy or the long and expensive depending on how the swirls are....

if its a new truck and they are just minor marks that can only be seen in direct sunlight and the truck is a darker color there are some good hand applied glazes and waxes that can hide the appearance of the swirls that can reduce and almost eliminate the swirls for awhile but sure to come back since they are only hidden not removed. about $30.

or get your wallet ready...take it to a pro, look at work that they have done before you use them, dont go in blind. for an outside supercrew it should be in the $150-200 range for the outside only.

if you like doing the work yourself...open your wallet bigger.
buffer $150-250 for the machine
several pads for machine $40
several cuts of compounds $40
finishing compound or machine glaze $25
clay $15
detail spray 1 gallon $20
wax $15
atleast 15 good mf towels $40
that is the short list...there are alot of "other" little things that most who wash at home have....like wheel cleaner and brushes, tire dressing, window cleaner, plastic lens cleaner and sealer, nice mf wash cloths, several buckets (2 minimum)

the list goes on........

if i were you, before i did anything, i would determine what cause your vehicle to have the swirl marks induced....make sure you can eliminate that habbit that caused it, then move on to paint finish correction.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by troberts6874
if i were you, before i did anything, i would determine what cause your vehicle to have the swirl marks induced....make sure you can eliminate that habbit that caused it, then move on to paint finish correction.
Very good point. No doubt you go through lots of tunnel washes or wash with a cloth sponge and dry with a bath towel - these habits have to stop.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
well, i have access to a da; what products would u suggest to get started. I have maguirs gold wash to get started;

Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM
well, i have access to a da; what products would u suggest to get started. I have maguirs gold wash to get started;
It's hard to say without seeing any good pictures of the truck.

But,

If you go with PB's line on Lake pads I would start off with:

SSR1 on Green
Pro Polish on White
EX-P on Black/Blue
LSP

You may need to go more aggressive or less aggressive.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:53 PM
I was thinking of mag's mirror glaze #9 swirl remover 2.0???? And after that i would need to wax? How aobut nxt tech wax 2.0? Im not looking to get all technical, just something to clean, take out small imperfections like swirls and what not. They are very light, u can only see them in the sun.

Last edited by vinson; 02-14-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM
sight unseen.. if you are going the Meg's route, I would go with #80.

then follow up with a synthetic and top it with a pure carnauba once you have the swirls removed.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Ok, so I went to pep boys and got an extra bucket, terry cloths, microfiber mit, firehose nozzle, drying towel.
In my shopping cart at ADS I have hyper dressing, nxt was, and #80. What type of towels/cloths/polishers?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
do you have pads for the DA?

ADS has decent microfibers and waffle weave drying towels.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
do you have pads for the DA?

ADS has decent microfibers and waffle weave drying towels.
no pads yet, not sure what pads i need.

Quick Reply: What to use/do to take swirls out......