New Wheels coming soon... How to care?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Wheels coming soon... How to care?

Getting some new wheels soon. I'd like to make sure they're protected well BEFORE I mount them. They'll be unmounted for about a month while I wait for other things to be done. They are chrome. I don't know if they have clear or not, but based on the price and prestige of the company, I'm pretty sure they might be.

What should I do to them to keep them nice? I want to protect both the outside and the inside of the wheels. Should I wait a while before doing anything to them?

What about APC+? I use this to clean my wheels now, will it be safe to use on these?

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Suspended
I'd wax them with Collinite 845. I don't recommend using anything but soap/water.

I also always rotate my wheels/tires every 3,000 miles and usually apply a new coat of 845.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'd wax them with Collinite 845. I don't recommend using anything but soap/water.

I also always rotate my wheels/tires every 3,000 miles and usually apply a new coat of 845.

Thanks Thump. What about set up time on the wax? Like usual, or should I allow it to set in longer? What if I notice swirls in the chrome (if they're cleared,) would I follow the same steps I would when working with paint?

Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Suspended
I wax all of the wheels and than remove the product on the first one.

I don't know about the swirls, if they're clearcoated, I guess you could try it. I've never had that problem.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I wax all of the wheels and than remove the product on the first one.

I don't know about the swirls, if they're clearcoated, I guess you could try it. I've never had that problem.
10-4. Guess I'm jumping the gun a bit. I still gotta buy them then receive them.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
attworth,

Before I can answer your question, it would help to know what kind of finish is on your wheels. The base material wouldn't hurt either. Not knowing that, let me tell you what I've learned.

First - and especially since you've got an F-150 - is that you've got to be careful with brake dust. Not only does it look ugly, but it will really mess up your wheels in a number of ways. One of those ways is oxidation. Yes, that stuff is pretty nasty and if you leave it on long enough, it will etch itself right into yout finish. So, wash it off with mild soap often.

Second, brake dust it abrasive. Don't be tempted to just wipe it off with a dry rag or towel. Trust me, it will even scratch chrome plating. Always use water - and lots of it.

Finally, protect them with a wax or sealer. I think you'll see where a number of us recommend a synthetic (Zaino, NXT, etc.) due to the heat build up from braking.

PS: I'd be real careful on using a rotary unless your wheels are just polished aluminum.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by attworth
......based on the price and prestige of the company, I'm pretty sure they might be.

brand and model would help determine if they were chrome and or cleared....

most are either chrome or polished alum with a clear finish over the bare alum....clear over chrome is not common...if they are polished alum with no clear finish i would look a different rims if its a daily driver.

if you wash them weekly you should not have problems keeping them clean with other than soap and water with a soft rag...you should not need wax to protect them (chrome finsish is very hard and not like paint)...most chrome wheel damage/problems is not on surface but poor adhesion of the chrome to alum wheel itself....there was a recent post that showed peeling chrome...this problem more than likley, i am 95% sure it was not caused or could have been prevented by the owner...it was poor quailty in manufacturing...either dirty/oily surface on alum when it was dipped, or just cheap plating methods.

best care for chrome rims (non cleared) wash weekly even if you dont wash your truck to keep the brake dust from sitting and ettching into the rim. wash with soap and water first then move up to over the counter wheel cleaners....but never apply any cleaner to a warm or hot wheel. you should not need any metal polishes to brighten chrome, things like power ball, or mothers alum chrome polish, those are great for bare alum rims but tend to cause micro marring and will cause a haze over the chrome if used regularly...

Trending Topics

Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Suspended
I disagree, I find waxing wheels is a very important step to keep your vehicle looking good.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thump,

I don't think any of us would disagree with you. Some type of wax or sealer is very important. If you use a "power" method (such as a rotary) or too aggressive of a polish on the wrong surface though, you can end up with problems.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Suspended
Did you read trobert's post? I guess I should of quoted it, but he said that he doesn't think you need to wax wheels.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Clean them up with regular soap and water. Then apply a sealant to them.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:10 PM
thats right i will post it again...no need to wax a "chrome plated" wheel, just keep it clean of brake dust build up and salt....clear coated wheel is not the same.

Last edited by troberts6874; 02-18-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by troberts6874
there was a recent post that showed peeling chrome...this problem more than likley, i am 95% sure it was not caused or could have been prevented by the owner...it was poor quailty in manufacturing...either dirty/oily surface on alum when it was dipped, or just cheap plating methods.
Yeah those were my wheels and hopefully I will be hearing something back from the company soon on replacements.

As everyone else has already said wash your wheels often. I did a much better job while I lived in MS then I do out here in HI, but I still get out there at least every other weekend and hose them down, can't stand the look of brake dust on my wheels.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by troberts6874
thats right i will post it again...no need to wax a "chrome plated" wheel, just keep it clean of brake dust build up and salt....clear coated wheel is not the same.
There's no need to "post it again", we got it and like I said, I disagree. Waxing a chrome plated wheel, just like a paint needs waxed, it makes clean up much easier. I washed every other 2-3 days and still got brake dust that wouldn't come off with washing with soap and water. Waxing makes it much easier to clean up and reduces the chance of this happening.

I'll agree to disagree, though.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
The best way to minimize brake dust is ceramic brake pads and premium rotors designed for their use.

Quick Reply: New Wheels coming soon... How to care?