scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scratch removal

i found a scratch in the passenger side of my truck this morning, it was very light but ran almost the entire length of the truck. i used dupont wash and wax and washed the entire truck, it removed the scratch for the most part, but is still visible with the right light at the right angle (faint clear lines). i was thinking about trying a cleaner wax then applying nu finish ontop to protect it. would this be the best way to get rid of the scratch or would i be better with something like scratch X???

thanks
(if my camera worked i would put pics)

Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 PM
First of all, can you feel the scratch with your fingernail? If you can, then you aren't getting it out..

If you can't feel it with your fingernail, get some ScratchX and use some effort...it should get it out.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Are you looking to remove it, or just hide it?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM
no i cant feel it when i run my fingernail over it, it is very light.

03 mustang - whats the difference between the two ??? i guess remove it

Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by KDracing
no i cant feel it when i run my fingernail over it, it is very light.

03 mustang - whats the difference between the two ??? i guess remove it
You are faced with a challenge. Not to get the marring out, I say marring and not scratch based on how you described it and without a photo, that is what it sounds like to me. Someone prob ran a purse or a bag along your paint.

Using SX will more than likely take care of it, the problem with using SX on your year of paint is that you are going to see a nice polished line where you apply the SX. To get rid of that look, you should prob SX the entire truck, which would mean a full detail if you asked me. Wash, Clay, Polish (SX) then LSP. (Wax)

The reason Dan asked you the question is that you can do scratch and defect removal or you can use products to conceal it or make it look less obvious in light.

For more detailed plans on how to fix, provide us some photos to look at.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Reason I ask is because the products you're mentioning will not REMOVE the scratch, rather just hide it temporarily. If you want to remove it I suggest getting a PC and some quality polish.

Try using the products mentioned, then wipe the area down a couple times with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water mixed 50/ 50. This will remove any fillers/ oils from the product so you can see if the imperfection was actually removed, or hiding behind the product.

Last edited by 03gtmustang; 02-18-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
also if u are planning a full detail... read the two stickies on top... if you haven't already. it will help a ton on products and methods.

Quick Reply: scratch removal