How to tell a friend they're wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell a friend they're wrong

This is somewhat of a humorous, sad, idiotic story all in one.

My friend and I were outside looking at how dirty my truck is today, and I tried to explain to him how to properly wash a vehicle. He understood the concept pretty well. I then mentioned that I will follow a wash with QD. He said, "Wait. I thought QD was for cleaning?"

1. I was surprised he knew what QD was. Turns out our mutual friend has some sort of Meg's QD that he let this friend try out.

2. When questioned on, "how dirty are the cars that Chuck (mutual friend,) is using the QD to clean," his response was, "oh, well they look about like your truck. When you see the pic at the bottom of the page you'll understand.

So, how do I confront this fellow and tell him he is completely wrong in using it to clean and needs to correct that? Mind you, he works for a big marketing company for Ford and "details" all their custom F650s, F450s, etc. He wants me to do his black Lincoln, but I'm not going to waste my time if he's going to QD it once a month without a bath first.

Here's how my truck looks (no I didn't intend for it to get this way.. Lets call it lazy construction workers.) Theres tons of water spots from when it rained this weekend as well.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably what I would do... is maybe "catch" the guy in the act and then just offer some advice on how you would do it.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 AM
i would most likely just try and tell him point blank that the lubricants that QD contains to help move light dust and contaminants off the surface safely are nowhere close to being enough to move actual heavy dirt, sand, and grime. Make sure he knows that quick detailer is only intended to be used once the surface has been cleaned thoroughly - touch up basically...cant believe he doesnt realize this if he does all that detailing for Ford...he should notice that QD smears that heavy dirt all over the place

Old 02-20-2008, 07:39 AM
If it were me I'd just give him a hard time about how swirled up his paint is psudo joking. I have a friend that has a 150 and a 350. Both are his farm trucks and are treated like tools. But, some people look at it that way and I let bygones be bygones. Then I sit back and enjoy when he admires what mine looks like and when he asks how I do it, then I can tell him what I want without it being unsolicited advice.

The only time I really like giving a hard time is that evidently the X-wives new hubby doesn't have a clue and doesn't even wash her brand new Explorer. I used to OCD on her vehicles now she drives a brand new mobile trash can. I personallly like "wow! looks like someone took sandpaper to your hood? What happened? Did you take it to a body shop to see how much they'll charge to repair it?"

Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by attworth
Mind you, he works for a big marketing company for Ford and "details" all their custom F650s, F450s, etc.
That explains it.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
If he is a friend try to explain the difference.

If he is a really good friend point, laugh, buy a few brews and tape off a section and show him the difference. Then point and laugh again and drink a few more brews and admire.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Suspended
Friend! You're wrong! See, not so hard. A friend will listen, an acquaintance will not...

Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Suspended
well if he's a friend i would make a bet with him. say a 6 pack to whoevers right about how to use a qd. call up megs and have him ask them, put it on speakerphone. then you pick your beer of choice.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 PM
He really isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Took me forever to convince him I wouldn't burn through his paint with my DA. Finally had to let him watch me do my mom's car.

This is their latest creation.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Suspended
and how did he get this job?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by gators241987
and how did he get this job?
His dad is a big power-stroke player for the region. Word of mouth and knowing people go a long way. His primary job isn't "detailing," but it's a role he plays at shows. He's a PR/marketing type.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
You just say, "hey, You dumb sh**, what WTF you think you're doing???" Then proceed to tell him why what he is doing is wrong. If he's a friend, he'll appreciate it, if he isn't a friend, doesn't really matter.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM
If he wants you to do his Lincoln I say go ahead and do it and when he picks it up and gives you props on how good it looks (and that he probably never got it that clean before) Tell him how you did it, making special note of how to use the QD!

Quick Reply: How to tell a friend they're wrong