Noob help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob help

Like the title says I am a noob when it comes to detailing. Before I get jumped on I have searched and also read the sticky at the top. After a few hours I have come up with some info but I am confused about a few things.

Wash Megs Gold Class
Megs Clay Bar
Polish with what????????
Wax?????

I need something that I can get at walmart or autozone not a # this and # this because thats all I see on here.

By the way everything will be done by hand.

THANKS!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnfields20

Wash Megs Gold Class
Megs Clay Bar

THANKS!
Megs stands for Meguiars and Gold Class is a product line of Meguiars. It is Gold Class Soap (you SHOULD be able to pick it up at your local wal-mart, the wallyworlds here in WV just did start carrying it.) Its just a very good car wash soap, suds well, and is "fairly" cheap considering other soaps on the market.

Again megs = Meguiars. Clay bar is essentially that, a clay bar that is used for cleaning contaminants off of your paint surface. Meguiars makes a "Smooth Surface" clay bar kit that you should be able to purchase at Wal-Mart. It comes with the clay bar, quick detailer (for lubeing the clay bar) and a nice microfiber towel. There are instructions on using the clay bar also included in the kit.

Someone else should chime in to add to this and explain the others.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Your options on polishing are fairly limited considering you are doing this by hand, and want to get local stuff. The only products I have seen at auto parts stores are Megs #7 (professional glaze,) and Megs #26 (yellow wax.) Netiher of which are paint correction products.

You may be able to find some other Megs stuff as well though. I typically see these 'higher end' products in the body repair section. You may want to try and find some #9. It may cover up any inperfections you have, but probably won't have much correction ability.

Meguiar's also makes several cleaner waxes that should be decent by hand. #6 I've heard is good, and may be available at stores. If not, try and find a burgundy Meg's bottle that says "Cleaner Wax" on it. This may hide some imperfections as well. (I should add that the "Smooth Surface Clay Kit" comes with a very small sample of the "Cleaner Wax.")

Finally, add whatever wax you'd like. NXT is good. I know the Autozone by my house carries NXT 2.0.

Gold Class Wax is pretty good but I don't think it lasts very long.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Since you're doing this by hand, go with the Meguiar's Deep Crystal system. It is available almost anywhere. It comes in the maroon bottles. Step 1 is the paint cleaner. Step 2 is polish and Step 3 is the wax. Also, get some ScratchX and use it on the trouble spots after Step 1.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Here would be my polish/wax shopping list to Autozone if starting from scratch. Wouldn't go to Wal-Mart. Same list for O'Riely's

IMHO

In order of use.
Meg's Gold Class Wash
Meg's Clay bar kit
Meg's ScratchX (in spots)
Meg's Deep Crystal step #1
Meg's Deep Crystal step #2
Meg's NXT 2.0 Synthetic Wax/Sealant x 2 (wait 12 hours or more between and after last coat)
Meg's #26 Pure Yellow Carnaouba Wax (Mirror Glaze Line) (stocked by the body repair stuff)
Extra bottle of Meg's Quick Detailer

Old 02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by johnfields20
Like the title says I am a noob when it comes to detailing. Before I get jumped on I have searched and also read the sticky at the top. After a few hours I have come up with some info but I am confused about a few things.

Wash Megs Gold Class
Megs Clay Bar
Polish with what????????
Wax?????

I need something that I can get at walmart or autozone not a # this and # this because thats all I see on here.

By the way everything will be done by hand.

THANKS!
I am going to assume you are trying to get rid of minor swirling and are wanting to bring some shine back. Quite frankly with the products you are aiming for and since you are doing it all by hand, that is about as far as you will get is removing very minor swirls and bringing some shine back.

You will go something like this:

1. Wash with Meguiars or equivalent.
2. Dry
3. Clay bar with Meg's or clay magic (both can be had at any local auto parts store)
4. I recommend another light wash after claying to remove any residue and start with a clean surface (this step is entirely up to you)
5. Glaze (Meg's professional glaze #7 can be had at most auto parts stores) Forget about polish, you will waste your time and money without a buffer.Glaze can be applied by hand and still yield decent results.
6. Meg's NXT 2.0 Wax or 3M Perfect it pure carnuba wax ( I prefer 3M if im going with cheap stuff but to each his own) It will likely be found in the auto body repair section.

If you paint is oxidized at all, you can use a cleaner between clay and glaze (Meg's Deep crystal step one is good)

Old 02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
Here would be my polish/wax shopping list to Autozone if starting from scratch. Wouldn't go to Wal-Mart. Same list for O'Riely's

IMHO

In order of use.
Meg's Gold Class Wash
Meg's Clay bar kit
Meg's ScratchX (in spots)
Meg's Deep Crystal step #1
Meg's Deep Crystal step #2
Meg's NXT 2.0 Synthetic Wax/Sealant x 2 (wait 12 hours or more between and after last coat)
Meg's #26 Pure Yellow Carnaouba Wax (Mirror Glaze Line) (stocked by the body repair stuff)
Extra bottle of Meg's Quick Detailer

X2!
If you were on a time limit, I would maybe just do one coat of the NXT 2.0. Then wait 12 hours, and apply either Megs #26 (Hi-Tech Yellow Wax) or even Megs Gold Class.

Being that you read the sticky, just keep in mind the following...
Wash (Gold Class Wash)
Clay (Megs Clay Kit)
Paint Correction/Polish (Scratch X in places/Deep Crystal System 1+2)
Sealant (NXT 2.0)
LSP (Either Megs #26 or Megs Gold Class Wax)

The reason we all mention Meguiars products is becuase of there ready availability. There are other brands out there that make great products. But, to purchase at your local Wally World or auto parts place, Megs is an easy find.

I hope this helped/backed up some good advice for you,

Devildog101

Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Wash and clay - mandatory. Anything after here depends on what condition your paint is in and what color it is.

Mine is Arizona Beige and was in decent condition. I used ScratchX in spots, then the Deep Crystal polish (step 2) followed by 2 coats of NXT 2.0 a day apart.

If your truck is a dark color and/or in rough shape, I'd use the Deep Crystal cleaner (step 1) before the polish. The NXT 2.0 has a lot of "pop" but if you want more, a coat of a good pure carnauba wax over it (after at least a 12 hour cure) will give you more.

The Megs consumer products are easier to work with by hand than all the professional numbered stuff. If you are not happy with the end result, you will need to use professional products with a DA machine to achieve significantly better results.

Of all the consumer quality products that are available at Autozone, Walmart, etc., I think Meguiar's is as good as any and better than most.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The Megs consumer products are easier to work with by hand than all the professional numbered stuff. If you are not happy with the end result, you will need to use professional products with a DA machine to achieve significantly better results.

Of all the consumer quality products that are available at Autozone, Walmart, etc., I think Meguiar's is as good as any and better than most.
Agreed

Old 02-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Suspended
Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 PM
glc
That's the sticky, which he says he's already read. I don't see a problem with amplifying on it and discussing various alternatives.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by glc
That's the sticky, which he says he's already read. I don't see a problem with amplifying on it and discussing various alternatives.
I thought the sticky discussed products as well? If not, I retract my previous statement.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I thought the sticky discussed products as well? If not, I retract my previous statement.
The Detailing Dictionary talks about multiple products. I think that might have been the sticky you were talking about.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 AM
glc
Yes, the sticky does discuss products - I still don't have a problem with further discussion?

Quick Reply: Noob help