Detailed the truck... [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work! Great procedure with the right products will always pay off! Good job!

Knowing that you've likely used NXT 1.0, how did you like the 2.0?

Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the exact stuff that you use. You should invest in the Porter-Cable buffer that meguairs sells on their website. Its an awesome little machine. Oh and if you really want to make those white letters pop, get a gardeners spray bottle at walmart and make a 30:70 percent dilution of 30percent super clean degreaser( i think its a purple bottle at walmart) and 70percent distilled water or even tap will work. Spray the solution on before you do anything, let sit for about 5- 10 mins and scrub a lil if you want but your results will be awesome.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Looks crazy clean! Good job and way to do work!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice work.

I am short on words tonight.

Great job.

Kudos....well done. Cheers

Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Powercat
Not meaning to hijack, but how is your ride compare now with your modifications?
To elaborate further...

The ride isn't like OEM but it's very good all things considered. Keep in mind that I have OEM shocks/springs and the like. It's just has a Hell Bent Steel 2.5" Level Kit with 20X9 Moto Metals and 35" Toyo Mud Terrains.

I really wasn't sure what to expect but I most certainly didn't expect such a pleasant ride. It's a little stiffer than OEM, doesn't stop as well [even though I have Powerslots], albeit from the factory these '05 were very poor, handles a little sloppier than OEM and the bumps and nudges are felt a tad more. But like I said, considering the changes I've made from factory, I'm very pleased. The tires are remarkably quite. I get a slight shimmy from a stop-start that lasts for less than a second and after that, almost nothing. I'm aware that without my Flowmaster catback and S&B CAI, I may be able to hear the tires more on the highway, but it really was a [pleasant] surprise to me.

I'm the type of bloke who will let others drive his truck... it really doesn't bother me. Some people comment on this mod, other people will prefer another mod, but the one thing that everyone who's ridding in my truck agrees to goes something like this... "I can't believe how quite and smooth these mud tires ride.... wow!"

Honestly, until I get my behind out of the truck, I often forget I'm riding on [relatively] aggressive mud tires.

Some will say that with my setup, 4:56 gears will bring it back to the factory ride, and help my drive train in the long run, but all my [extensive] research says that when you weigh the money spent on gears up against the benefits [ride quality, fuel economy, longevity of drive train components, etc...], well, I just couldn't justify it. I'm happy with my OEM [3:73] gearing. Maybe it's a case of not knowing any better.... probably.

To sum it up: No, the ride doesn't resemble anything like the factory finish, but, often, especially on full-sized pickups, you have to sacrifice a little here to have a little more over there.

Originally Posted by RockPick
Knowing that you've likely used NXT 1.0, how did you like the 2.0?
Honestly Rock, I prefer the original.

I mate from work told me that the new 2.0 brings out the darker colors like nothing you've seen before. He gave me the leftover of his container to try. He drives a Obsidian Black Pearl WRX and every day I see it, the damn thing's sparkling. I thought, "... Hey, perfect for my Xterra... why not?"

I'm relatively happy with it, however, in comparing it to my past NXT original experience, I'm not exactly doing back flips. I' not speaking of it's ease of application and/or removal. I'm speaking solely of the finished product.

I've only used the original NXT on one other vehicle... maybe 3 times, possibly 4.

It was on a Yellow Jacket '04 Goat. I was very, very happy with the finished product. It, the paint finish, had a depth to it that many strangers would often ask me what product I was using. The "wet-look" was also very eye-catching. Similar to the 2.0, it would glide on and wipe off without a hassle, though I think the original did it better. The GTO was a seasonal thing, garaged regularly, MF wiped-down often and never saw anything more aggressive than pollen and at times some water splash left on the road... so it stayed clean 9 out of 10 times.

The Xterra, however, is an every day vehicle that driven everywhere [almost 13K in about six months] and in the few short months I've owned it, it has seen snow, mud, sand, gravel, rain and anything else you can throw at it. It's never seen an undercover parking lot and is washed, at very best, once every 2-3 weeks. As much better as it looks compared to before the detail, it still didn't give me the gloss and wet-look I was expecting. I'm not sure whether the posted pics exhibit that, but it's the immediate conclusive impression I got.

However, given the differing lifestyles of the two aforementioned vehicles, just maybe [most probably] the comparison is unfair, but the original NXT is my choice. I would have loved the opportunity to have compared them panel-be-panel on the same vehicle.

Originally Posted by luckyjaytx
....Oh and if you really want to make those white letters pop.....
Hey, I appreciate the suggestion but, in all honesty, I absolutely hate white lettering on tires!

Those tires are being trashed soon. Actually, I'm currently in the hunt for some new - no white lettering - tires.... beginning to do research this weekend.

Thanks anyhow.

Quick Reply: Detailed the truck... [PICS]