ughhhh. fixing time.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ughhhh. fixing time.

bit of rant and need of advice.

about a half inch of sleet, freezing rain, snow covered the roads this morning on my way to school. Stopped at a light turning left. Light turns green and i take my foot off the brake and begin to turn and look up to see a white grand prix sliding through the intersection (left to right). Threw it in reverse but couldn't move in time and she hit/slid off my front end. Got out and the only damage was a dent about fist sized on my chrome bumper and some scratches on the lower valance. To make matters worse today was the michigan merit exam and i was late for that. I also laughed because the grunt of the impact was on my tow hook so her mirror got knocked off and her door smashed in pretty good with a nice black streak on it. So called the police and filed a report. The other person was totally at fault. But i am hesitant to claim it under the insurance because my mom is listed as the driver on our insurance for lower rates. So if i claim it they will know that i am driving thus going from a 47 year old woman driving to a 17 year old boy driving. i shall assume the rates will increase significantly. Are they (the insurance company) going to find out anyways due to the police report?? If so I'll just take it somewhere to get fixed. If not my neighbor, who is laid off from a body shop and has about 40 years under his belt, is looking for some used parts. I also priced some things new online with the chrome bumper running about $215 and the lower valance about $130. if anyone knows any cheaper prices let me know.

while i had him looking at my truck i had him look at some of my other dings. one is just a scratch through the clear on the a-pillar of both front and rear door. he said this would be extensive because he would have to clear both doors?? something about it would end up turning white or yellow in a year or two. my friend did this with a bag he tried to throw through my window with a cologne bottle. its been like that for almost a year because i never got around to it. he said he would pay for it, but i sort of feel bad because it sounds like it could be somewhere like $150+. also there is a dime sized dent/ scratch on the back door pillar between the back passenger side window and the back window. so if i went ahead and had him fix these he would have to sand them, paint the spots and blend them and then clear both doors? would he have to sand off both doors completely or just where its blended? sorry if this is alot of questions.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 PM
anyone?? any thoughts on after market bumpers that would look good?? possibly ones where i could pick the front and rear for somewhere around 400$ if i went that route? thoughts on painting the valance to match the truck?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I would make the other person's insurance pay for it! Your insurance rate should not increase.

Kevin

Old 03-15-2008, 10:49 PM
your saying my insurance wont go up from a 47 year old woman to a 17 year old boy?...........................

Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 PM
If the other person was at fault then their insurance should cover the repairs and your insurance won't know about it.

Edit: Can't spell.

Quick Reply: ughhhh. fixing time.