Need advice on tire dressing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008 | 12:46 PM
|
Need advice on tire dressing

Some ole hot rodders were telling me not to use any tire dressing because it will prematurely wear out tires, because of the ingrediants in the dressing. Fading and cracking was the issues.

Is there any truth to this? I know there are silicone based dressings and water based. Is one better than the other for tires? Does the tire dressing soak into the tire? Or do some absorb more UV rays causing damage?

Looking for some long time users of tire shine dressing on their views and long time use of these products.

Is it just an old wives tale or not?

Old 03-15-2008 | 01:02 PM
This is true (and there are hundreds of websites that explain the process in detail so I won't go into it here) but how long is a tire going to last? Today's dressings are better then those of 5 or 10 years ago (Armorall has switched to a water base and many dressings have UV protectant). Personally, I don't use expensive dressings that contain great UV protectant, etc. as the tire is not going to be around long enough to warrant that type of protection. That is, the tread is going to wear out before the tire shows signs of any cracking or fading.

Old 03-15-2008 | 01:29 PM
Well ol' hot rodders don't really wear out there tires, there rides sit in the garage all day, so yeah if you keep putting dressing on tires that don't wear out for 10yrs, your gonna get cracking. I personally put dressing on my tires every detail, you gotta, it finishes the job. W/o dressing your vehicle looks boring and unfinished. Tires only last a couple season now anyways, your not gonna have them on your vehicle long enough to get cracking, just normal wear/tear. Most guys on here use hyper dressing, I use hot shine (meguiars).

Old 03-15-2008 | 01:35 PM
There are "good", and "bad" silicones. To my knowledge, very few of the current dressings contain bad silicones.

Normally, I only get 3 or 4 years out of a set of tires (or vehicle), so I don't have any concern about a tire dressing doing damage to a tire... and I've never seen such a case. Also, I don't feel that a detail is complete unless the tires look nice and black, and have some sheen to them. That requires some type of dressing depending on the look you prefer.

I would find a dressing that you like, and use it.

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Boss_429
I would find a dressing that you like, and use it.
Hyperdressing!

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:27 PM
I used armor all tire foam for years. I did notice premature cracking on a set of BFG TA/KO's that I had. But they did last several years even with the cracking.

I switched a couple years ago to Meg's tire shine and havn't noticed any cracking but did attract dust like crazy.

Recently switched to Hyper-dressing and like the very low gloss and they attract MUCH less dust now. Much to early to know about cracking yet though.

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:40 PM
Suspended
well i only expect to get 20k out of my tires, so i doubt any dressing will harm mine. Hyperdressing gets my vote, in fact, i use hd on everything, i think it smells wonderful

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:41 PM
very old rodders used motor oil to shine up the rubber and some show guys may still do it.

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by clambelly
very old rodders used motor oil to shine up the rubber and some show guys may still do it.
USED MOTOR OIL?

Old 03-15-2008 | 04:46 PM
My grandfather (retired ford dealer and hotrodder) says the people he was around didn't use anything. they'd drive them down into the riverbed and scrub them with river water, river sand, and a stiff brush. Said nothing would get those wide white walls prettier before a night on main looking for girls.

But I digress off topic. hehe

Old 03-15-2008 | 08:16 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by wxscpo
Hyperdressing!
I agree completely. I haven't ever seen a tire crack and rot because of the use of a tire dressing. I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that unless you don't ever drive the vehicle. Even than time will take it's toll on the rubber before a tire dressing would ever cause damage. The damage was probably caused by what they were using to clean the tires with, not the dressing.

Old 03-15-2008 | 11:34 PM
4 words.

Hy-Per-dress-Ing.....

X5 on what Boss said.

Old 03-15-2008 | 11:55 PM
Quick question.

Is it possible to have Hyperdressing be as shiny as meg's Hotshine? I love the look i get with hotshine, nice and wet. My low profile tires just don't look right without a dark wet shine.

J/w because i have a bottle of hotshine, along with a container of Hotshine gel that came in the Walmart $28 gift set. Not to mention a few Black Magic tire gel w/ applicator things. So, if i do get me some HD.... It will be a WHILE seeing as i have to use up all that.

Old 03-16-2008 | 11:21 AM
Ive been using black magic for years and have never had any problems and the shine lasts...and I agree that right after a wash nothing is better than fresh tire dressing

Old 03-16-2008 | 01:49 PM
I use armor all tire foam, it works pretty good. Never had to worry about cracking like everybody else said, since the tires never last long enough to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Need advice on tire dressing