How long before another coat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 11:57 PM
|
How long before another coat?

I don't mean months but like hours or days. I already put on the NXT 2.0 but just ordered some Meguiars #21 & #26 to try out.

Dam this place is costing me

Old 03-18-2008 | 12:02 AM
NXT takes a minimum of 12 hours to cure. Then you can top it off with #26 or whatever you like.

Old 03-18-2008 | 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by rsbeachbum2
I don't mean months but like hours or days. I already put on the NXT 2.0 but just ordered some Meguiars #21 & #26 to try out.
Well, I'm sure you are going to hear the "two thin coats 12 to 24 hours apart for complete coverage" recommendation. Normally, I "recommend" the same thing, and it is a good way to go. However, I don't always "do" what I "say". Here's what I do...

I apply a one COMPLETE coat the first time. Yes, that means that I apply (and remove) slightly more than a "thin" coat the first time. Some folks might even call it a somewhat "heavy" coat... but I'll tell you what... it is a COMPLETE coat.

Then, I wait until the next wash. After washing and drying, I apply a thin coat (actually thin this time).

After that, I keep it maintained with a great spray wax in my drying process.

Anyhow, waiting until the until the first wash after the first coat accomplishes a few things in my opinion...

First, you KNOW that the first coat is completely cured.
Secondly, you KNOW that the surface is clean and ready for another coat.
Lastly, washing/drying tends to remove a slight amount of the LSP. Therefore, adding a thin coat of wax at that time is actually replenishing the protective layer.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-18-2008 | 07:27 AM
The idea behind waiting to apply a second coating is to allow a window-of-time to pass, to insure that all of the polymers have fully set-up. Anytime you introduce water or other liquids to the surface before the polymers have fully set-up you risk disrupting the polymers.

Some people cannot wait, or do not want to wait this long before applying a second coat, I know many times I don't have the luxury of time to wait until the next day to apply a second coat. If you are in this position, then it's completely fine to apply a second coat sooner. The 12 hour window of time is just a best case scenario for those people that want the maximum results possible. It's like giving the benefit of doubt to the process.

After applying the Tech Wax to your car's finish, it's perfectly fine to drive again in sunny weather. It's liquids you want to avoid for the first 12 hours for best possible results. I
from Mike Phelps

heres a whole thread about it

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052

Quick Reply: How long before another coat?