Glaze??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glaze??

Just got back from the store. Picked up Meguiars wash,clay,cleaner,polish and NXT 2.0 paste wax. All the necessary (or so I thought) steps for a great detail. Also all the extras like MF towels etc. Now a co worker tells me I forgot the glaze!! Whats the story?? And where in the process does glaze come in??

Also anybody have a location where I can pick up a Meguiars or Porter Cable ?? Wanted to do the truck this weekend. No luck at Autozone, Lowes Home Depot.The auto parts stores all have random orbitals but they are about $40 so I think there may be a real quality control issue with these cheaper units.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:39 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you are using NXT 2.0 you really don't need a separate glaze. All the products you have can be applied by hand - assuming the cleaner and polish are Meguiar's Deep Crystal.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by drjay9051
Just got back from the store. Picked up Meguiars wash,clay,cleaner,polish and NXT 2.0 paste wax. All the necessary (or so I thought) steps for a great detail. Also all the extras like MF towels etc. Now a co worker tells me I forgot the glaze!! Whats the story?? And where in the process does glaze come in??

Also anybody have a location where I can pick up a Meguiars or Porter Cable ?? Wanted to do the truck this weekend. No luck at Autozone, Lowes Home Depot.The auto parts stores all have random orbitals but they are about $40 so I think there may be a real quality control issue with these cheaper units.
he is probably refering to meguiars #7 show car glaze but its just a polish

as for the pc check out paint supply stores they usually have a very wide selection of detailing products and may have a pc or g100

Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Glazes are usually a pretty fine polish. They do bring out a nice shine in a dark or metallic vehicle, but are entirely un-necessary.

As for finding a PC locally, good luck. If you're using consumer grade products (I.e. black or maroon bottles,) you should be fine with just your hands.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Suspended
I've never used #7, I've been meaning to pick up some for quite some while, but does it have filling properties like #9?

Would I need to use #9? This is after #80, of course.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I've never used #7, I've been meaning to pick up some for quite some while, but does it have filling properties like #9?

I was wondering the same thing, maybe I'll hop over to Megs forum and see if they have info

Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113

Nope. #7 is basically the #9 without any abrasives/fillers.

In most circles, you'll hear #7 referred to as a 'pure polish' - meaning no abrasives or anything else that will help/hinder paint problems.

The key to #7 is ULTRA THIN. If you put it on thick, you'll hate yourself... been there, bought the t-shirt.

I find #7 to be killer on reds -- especially the cherry variety. The 'wetness' it creates is really impressive, IMO.

-RP-

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Suspended
Should I invest in a bottle of it pending that it'll only be used on my car? .. or is #9 doing a job well done?

Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Actually a glaze is very necessary in my opinion if you are working by hand....nothing much will be removed so why not fill it in with a glaze with all your work?? Wash/Clay/Glaze/Seal/Wax in that order good buddy

Although NXT has filling properties and the cleaners will likely remove the glaze...that is why i dont use NXT but i hear 2.0 is a great sealant!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Actually a glaze is very necessary in my opinion if you are working by hand....nothing much will be removed so why not fill it in with a glaze with all your work?? Wash/Clay/Glaze/Seal/Wax in that order good buddy
Glazes with fillers tend to be great for that purpose, I agree.

But if he's talking about #7, which is widely available at auto parts stores, then what RP said hits it right on the head. No fillers/abrasives.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Nope. #7 is basically the #9 without any abrasives/fillers.

In most circles, you'll hear #7 referred to as a 'pure polish' - meaning no abrasives or anything else that will help/hinder paint problems.

The key to #7 is ULTRA THIN. If you put it on thick, you'll hate yourself... been there, bought the t-shirt.

I find #7 to be killer on reds -- especially the cherry variety. The 'wetness' it creates is really impressive, IMO.

-RP-
RP,

Wouldn't that make #7 a "pure filler" then if it doesn't have any abrasive properties to correct defects in the paint?

Grasshopper

Quick Reply: Glaze??