chrome door handles

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrome door handles

i know most people here dont like the look of chrome door handle covers, but i have some and they have like a residue on them from salt and winter i suppose. I thought it was pitting but was able to remove it with just a wet wash cloth and elbow grease. it took me about 5 mins to get the handle part on the tailgate clear. and the door handles are about 50% worse. so i am looking for something to assist in the cleaning process. i believe they are chrome plated ABS. any suggestions are appreciated thanks. (will post pics tomorrow.)

Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The biggest problem here is that, even if they're plated, the metal build is going to be beyond paper thin.

That means, just about anything that you use to remove the problem will likely burn through to the ABS.

Are these water spots? Compromised plating? Metal oxidation? Need pics... even then, it's probably going to be a trial and error thing... the bad news is that the 'error' part will likely result in a burn through on the plating (or compromising the plating in another way) and you'll end up replacing them... or living with a thrashed look.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
im pretty sure there just water spots. as i said i cleaned them with simple water and wash cloth. but it was some intense elbow grease. just looking for an easier way is all. i could accomplish cleaning with just a washcloth and about 30 mins. what do you suggest for protection? i put on NXT but i should prolly put it on like every month during the winter i suppose.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM
ooo yea while i have the almighty RP. what pads would you suggest to do #80 and #83. CCS. i am looking into getting started into a pc and thinking of getting one on ebay for cheap and then buy a pad for 80 one for 83 and one for a pure polish. what do you suggest for polish pad? also can i use a microfiber bonnet to remove polish and waxes? i believe so. if indeed so i have a rotary would you suggest using that w/ microfiber bonnet to remove polish and wax to reduce use of PC? or would i mess up my paint?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Moderator &

Try vinegar on the handles. Shouldn't have to rub intensively if it's simple spotting.

Spotting and etching are two different beasts.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by cookdawg06
what pads would you suggest to do #80 and #83. CCS.
I'll have to defer to the CCS users -- I'm not a huge Lake fan for no other reason than I'm comfortable using what I'm using and haven't found a need for multiple polishing pads. One polishing, one finishing is okay with me - and it works for me.

i am looking into getting started into a pc and thinking of getting one on ebay for cheap and then buy a pad for 80 one for 83 and one for a pure polish.
I know you've heard it before but, you may consider ADS with one of the kits. I believe you can still get the G-100. With the kit, you'll get the backing plate and some pads to get you on your way.

what do you suggest for polish pad?
Uhh. Trick question? I'd use a polishing pad. For me, that translates into a Meguiar's 8006 yellow pad.

also can i use a microfiber bonnet to remove polish and waxes?
Sure. You can. It's not my prefered method as I find microfiber bonnets to load quite easily and thus, can induce micromaring on a pretty intense level. I've even used some of the DF Towel Bonnets (definitely the nicest bonnet I've used) but, same problem. The trick is to be good enough with the device to detect that you're causing problems. As comfortable as I am with a PC - and even a rotary - I'm not comfortable with a bonnet for removal.

if indeed so i have a rotary would you suggest using that w/ microfiber bonnet to remove polish and wax to reduce use of PC? or would i mess up my paint?
See last response.

Plus, if you're not exactly comfortable with the PC, I don't think I'd jump up to a true rotary just yet.

Nothing inside the detailing realm is rocket science but, the rotary truly is a much more powerful tool. It's more difficult to manage on the paint and, because it's more powerful, it's much less forgiving.

My advice - get the hang of the PC and then think about stepping up.

-RP-

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM
I have the same problem with my door handle covers. They are not etched it just seems like a build-up of some sort. I've used a fine steel wool with barely any pressure and some chrome polish with no problems at all. Comes out great, keys words are barely any pressure!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 AM
I have an excellent idea for you..when i am detailing a vehicle that has a lot of chrome trim...i reach for my Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish and have at them....

When polishing metals think of it this way.....abrasive vs. chemical.....abrasive will burn through like RP said...so go chemical and this may take care of your troubles...

The plating is very think like RP already said, i swear none of us should even post after he has!

Good luck~!

Quick Reply: chrome door handles