Carnauba over Carnauba?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnauba over Carnauba?

I've been trying to figure this out in my head, but it's not coming easily.

Lots of people, including myself, attest to the use of NXT followed by a carnauba. What could be had if a carnauba was used over another carnauba?

It may be pointless, but I want to try it and see if I notice a difference. I wanna top Collinite 845 off with #26.

Any thoughts? What about cure time? Will the 26 take 845 off even with some cure time?

I like the way 845 looks, but that little curiousity bug keeps biting.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Attworth,

There are differing opinions on this, but from what I've seen, layering carnauba wax doesn't seem to have a huge effect. (Remember, others may differ.) I have seen where layering does have some effect - a negative one. If your second coat is done with a product with some cleaners in it, you'll actually remove the first layer. Both Collonite 845 and Meg's #26 do not have cleaners in them as I recall though.

So, I'd say you're probably wasting your time. If you have some time (and beer) on your hands and want to experiment for the rest of us though, knock yourself out!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Doing a carnauba over a synthetic to some people can enhance the depth of the gloss.

Doing two coats of the same lsp is generally to ensure 100% coverage. Not for added protection or looks.

Doing two different carnauba lsps would probably not be worth the effort any more than two coats of the same lsp.

But it would all boil down to personal prefference I'm sure. If you do it and you prefer the results that it brings to you. There wouldn't be any harm to it.

Putting on too many coats before stipping off the old can be counter productive but that would be quite a few coats.

Yes, any wax with cleaning properties will remove the previous coat. So it would have to be a pure wax.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 AM
As the others have said...

Some carnauba waxes have a considerable amount of silicone polymers (or oils) added to them. Repeated coats with such a product can add some gloss and/or wetness to the appearance.

Some carnauba waxes have added tints that can darken the paint, and in turn enhance the appearance.

As for your other questions...

Wait overnight or 24 hours for the next coat. I like to wait until the next wash.

#26 won't remove much of the previous layer. It has no cleaners, but the solvents in the product might remove a tiny amount of the LSP underneath. Don't let it stop you from adding the #26.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Boss_429
As the others have said...

Some carnauba waxes have a considerable amount of silicone polymers (or oils) added to them. Repeated coats with such a product can add some gloss and/or wetness to the appearance.

Some carnauba waxes have added tints that can darken the paint, and in turn enhance the appearance.

As for your other questions...

Wait overnight or 24 hours for the next coat. I like to wait until the next wash.

#26 won't remove much of the previous layer. It has no cleaners, but the solvents in the product might remove a tiny amount of the LSP underneath. Don't let it stop you from adding the #26.
Thanks Boss. I'm getting ready to do my truck again, so I was just curious...

In the meantime, I'm doing a black BMW 3 series... tonight.. It's got some moderate swirling, but nothing bad. It's going to be beautiful.

Quick Reply: Carnauba over Carnauba?