need advice on products

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice on products

I am about to place an order to detail my truck and I need some final advice. I have a white Screw that has minimal scratches and few light swirls. I just want to keep it looking good without being too ocd. So here is what I have come up with....
PB SSR1 P21S PWC
PB EXP or Megs NXT
Natty's white P21S 100% Carnauba

Of course I am going to start with clay ( the truck badly needs that). Now I am thinking about using a PC 7424. What do you guys think? Do any of the P21S products have to be used ONLY by hand ? Is there anything else I should add ? Also keep in mind I am trying to keep costs down while doing a quality job. So if I had to I would spend the time and effort to do it all by hand and some good MF.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by jamieFF
I am about to place an order to detail my truck and I need some final advice. I have a white Screw that has minimal scratches and few light swirls. I just want to keep it looking good without being too ocd. So here is what I have come up with....
PB SSR1 P21S PWC
PB EXP or Megs NXT
Natty's white P21S 100% Carnauba

Of course I am going to start with clay ( the truck badly needs that). Now I am thinking about using a PC 7424. What do you guys think? Do any of the P21S products have to be used ONLY by hand ? Is there anything else I should add ? Also keep in mind I am trying to keep costs down while doing a quality job. So if I had to I would spend the time and effort to do it all by hand and some good MF.
I'll throw my hat in here.

I like the PB products myself.

SSR1 is pretty light, about as much cut as Megs 80, then pad choice becomes the factor. I wouldn't go more than a Green Lake for that, prob better to use a White lake with SSR1 if that is your correction step.

that PWC are you referring to PB Polish W Carnuba?

I also prefer the EX-P due to the cure time. You can top LSP over EX-P in as little as an hour.

For white a good combo is as follows:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correct with SSR1
PB Professional Polish
ClearKote Vanilla Hand Moose
EX-P
Collinite 845 LSP or Nattys

Or
SSR1
Menzerna Micro Polish
ClearKote Vanilla Hand Moose
EX-P
Collinite 845 or Nattys

Or
SSR1
PB PP
EX-P
Nattys

White is tricky.

EDIT: Opps you said by hand right? Ouch, ok, well the products dont' really change, I would use PB for sure, they are "by hand friendly"

Just know that you won't get the same results until you migrate to a DA.

Last edited by RollingRock; 03-23-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:49 AM
RR has given you some excellent advise and recommendations.

The secret to getting white to POP, as with any color, but particularly on white, is to get the paint clean, bright and reflective. His recommendations include the necessary cleaning/polishing steps to make that happen.

I think any of Steve's LSP products or the P21S pure carnauba will be fine choices.

I have two additional comments...

First, while NXT 2.0 is a fine product, I don't particularly care for it on light colors because of it's tendency to darken the paint... which sometimes has a negative affect on light colors.

My other suggestions is a bit a curve ball...

If your paint is in good condition as you suggest, you can clean and final polish all in one step by using Mothers Pre Wax cleaner, your PC, and a polishing pad.

Yes, I know, it's a "cleaner". However, it turns out that it is an excellent finishing polish when used properly. I like it almost as much as the Menzerna finishing polishes, and it is a LOT less expensive.

Spread it around at a speed of 1 to 2.
Work the area with several slow passes at 3 to 4.
Make a couple of final passes at 5.
Let it haze.
Wipe it off.

Have fun!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
sorry that should read :

P12S paint works cleaner (PWC)
megs nxt
P21S 100% carnauba

or

PB SSR1
PB EXP
Natty's white

I think I will save myself some effort and get a DA. Is there any difference between the PC 7424 and the Megs G110 ? I also am limited who I can order from being that I am in Canada. I have found that Autogeek does ship to me and they have most of the things I need.
Thanks for all the help !!!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:06 PM
sorry that should read :

megs nxt
P21S 100% carnauba

or

PB SSR1
PB EXP
Natty's white

I think I will save myself some effort and get a DA. Is there any difference between the PC 7424 and the Megs G110 ? I also am limited who I can order from being that I am in Canada. I have found that Autogeek does ship to me and they have most of the things I need.
Just remember you are going to have to polish out the SSR1 before you EX-P

Old 03-23-2008, 05:13 PM
sorry that should read :

megs nxt
P21S 100% carnauba

or

PB SSR1
PB EXP
Natty's white

I wouldn't get the G110. I've heard bad stories about it. If possible, get a G100. Basically the same as the 7424 but with a lifetime warranty.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Polish out the SSR1 with PB Prof polish ?

Is the 7424 a good unit ?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Suspended

Is the 7424 a good unit ?
Very good unit but like attworth said, get the G100. It's just a Meguiars labeled Porter Cable 7424 but it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:52 PM
If I use SSR1, PP, EXP and Nattys can they all be applied and removed with a DA ?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
If I use SSR1, PP, EXP and Nattys can they all be applied and removed with a DA ?
They can be applied with DA, but IMO would remove with a different MF for each application.

BTW, I also have a white truck and use the following combination after wash & clay.

Megs #80
ClearKote Vanilla Moose
PB's EX-P
Collinite 845

Can't wait to see pics when you are done!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Applied with a DA yes, using different pads and MF's for removal. Personally, I would use Nattys by hand.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 PM
ok so I appreciate everyones patients with me I'm kinda slow some times.

SO if I get this right you apply and work a product with one pad and then wipe down the surface with a MF towel ? How do you know what pad to use with what product ? I am thinking about the PB world DA polish and protect package on Autogeek.net. It comes with 3 kinds/colors of pads. I assume you would use the Orange with SSR1, white would be for the PB PP, and black for the EXP and Nattys by hand ? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 PM
ok so I appreciate everyones patients with me I'm kinda slow some times.

SO if I get this right you apply and work a product with one pad and then wipe down the surface with a MF towel ? How do you know what pad to use with what product ? I am thinking about the PB world DA polish and protect package on Autogeek.net. It comes with 3 kinds/colors of pads. I assume you would use the Orange with SSR1, white would be for the PB PP, and black for the EXP and Nattys by hand ? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ok, you are asking more detailed questions now. Have you seen the sticky on detailing? Or the one on Detailing Dictionary?

You DO NOT WANT TO USE A ORANGE pad with SSR1, assuming those are Lake Country pads.

To quote myself
LC
Lake Country. Maker of high quality buffing and polishing pads. (Three lines of Pads, VC=Variable Contact and CCS=Collapsed Cell Structure, LC Flat Pad
Six Pads of Various Cut and Polish.

Yellow & Orange Cutting: Designed for moderate oxidation, scratches and acid rain damage. Use with medium cutting products: (paint levelers and compounds) Yellow is more aggressive than Orange.

Green & White Polishing: Designed for light oxidation, scratches and surface swirls. Use with light cutting products: (polishes, swirl removers, pre-wax cleaners) Green is more aggressive than White.

Black & Blue Finishing: Designed for final prep & surface protection products. Use with light one-step cleaner/waxes, glazes, paste waxes and polymer sealants. Blue is the finest texture and has no cleaning ability.

To answer your question. I would use a Green Lake Pad with SSR1 or a yellow Megs pad. Then with the Pro Polish I would use the White Lake Pad.

For EX-P, I would use the Blue pad (black absorbs too much for me) then Apply Nattys by hand.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
To answer your question. I would use a Green Lake Pad with SSR1 or a yellow Megs pad. Then with the Pro Polish I would use the White Lake Pad.

For EX-P, I would use the Blue pad (black absorbs too much for me) then Apply Nattys by hand.
I agree

Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 PM
I'll have to re-read the sticky now that I am getting closer. I just need to

find the best price on a DA and I think I have the products picked out. It

was suggested to me to use SSR2- maybe PB PP-EXP and/or Natty's white.

Thanks to all for the help, I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: need advice on products