Anybody detail motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody detail motorcycles?

Just picked up a BMW R1200C cruiser. Lots of chrome, as you might imagine. Bike is about 10 years old so needs some cosmetic care.

Seems that there are four key types of materials used in this bike and wondering if anyone has tips on how to get them to sparkle the best.

1. Chromed steel. I've used Noxon which is a metal polish. Seems to do OK but not great. Any other suggestions?

2. Painted aluminum and steel. Seems that these are not clear coated. The telever mount and the drive shaft housing fall into this category.

3. Painted/cleared steel tank and fenders. Some spiderwebbing that I'll need to take out.

4. Plain aluminum (?). This would be the fork lowers. I have to think that there is some kind of coating on these parts but I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks. Any tips on how to make this thing sparkle would be appreciated. Of if there is a better board to post this on I'd appreciate a pointer.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 PM
S100 makes a whole line of motorcycle cleaners. Good stuff. Also a really good cleaner/polish is Next Dimension Spray Cleaner & Polish. Google it and you will see all the great reviews about it. I used it daily on my bike. S100 can be found at almost any motorcycle shop. For cleaning and polishing aluminum and chrome Master Formula is the best I have used. I bought a bottle at a motorcycle show years ago and I have been hooked ever since

http://www.s100.com/index.htm
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...h--619842.html
http://www.master-formula.com/Metal%20Polish.htm

Last edited by Sleestak; 03-24-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one thing i would HIGHLY recommend is a leaf blower. It helps to get all the water out of the screws, etc. I know alot of people that use the s100 and love it. Personally, I just use my Meguiars stuff on my bike. My dad uses products from a company called "Luiqitech" its good stuff. Also, a good wax is called Pig Snot.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by BigBologna
Just picked up a BMW R1200C cruiser. Lots of chrome, as you might imagine. Bike is about 10 years old so needs some cosmetic care.
I have done only 3, but here is what I learned (in bold)

Seems that there are four key types of materials used in this bike and wondering if anyone has tips on how to get them to sparkle the best.

1. Chromed steel. I've used Noxon which is a metal polish. Seems to do OK but not great. Any other suggestions?
Brasso or NXT all Metal Polysh, depending on how bad it is. Also, you might look at Hot Rims Mag/Aluminum polish if the NXT polish isnt availible. Both good.

2. Painted aluminum and steel. Seems that these are not clear coated. The telever mount and the drive shaft housing fall into this category.
Use an OLD applicator (it will get trashed) and Megs step 1 of the DC system, Color-X, S-X, etc...(choose one, not all...)NOTE: this one is an educated guess, not experience.

3. Painted/cleared steel tank and fenders. Some spiderwebbing that I'll need to take out.
Treat like normal paint. For a motorcycle, I would heavily look into something like Color-X, Scratch-X (then a sealant), etc. For this, you can read up ANYWHERE on here-- cleared paint is cleared paint whether on a bike or truck.

4. Plain aluminum (?). This would be the fork lowers. I have to think that there is some kind of coating on these parts but I'm not sure what it is.
No coating TO MY KNOWLEDGE, so I am not liable for the following:
Try Tarn-X/Brasso/etc first. If that doesnt cut it (what are you trying to do to these? buff 'em up?), then I would use any metal polish. Actually, I would probably skip straight to the metal polish (NXT all metal polysh, hot rims mag/ALUMINUM cleaner/polish, etc...)

Thanks. Any tips on how to make this thing sparkle would be appreciated. Of if there is a better board to post this on I'd appreciate a pointer.
No problem! Also, invest in some QD spray-- VERY practical for Bikes. Good luck, take pictures, and give us a full review!!!
HTH

Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the comments/suggestions. Pix of the bike below. You can't really see the imperfections in these photos.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Dude! That's bitchin'. I didn't think that BMW made bikes that looked that cool. And that thing is 10 years old? How much would something like that cost?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Does this count?

Washed, clayed, Polished and 1 coat of Nattys Red

Old 03-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Does this count?

Washed, clayed, Polished and 1 coat of Nattys Red
A sickness, if you ask me. I've never washed my custom Ti bike.

Really nice ride though. S-Works Tarmac?

PS. I'll bet that bike cost more than my m/c. I know my custom Spectrum did. To answer the question posted above, you can get a decent example of the R1200C for $4-6K.

Last edited by BigBologna; 03-25-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by Sleestak
S100 makes a whole line of motorcycle cleaners. Good stuff. Also a really good cleaner/polish is Next Dimension Spray Cleaner & Polish. Google it and you will see all the great reviews about it. I used it daily on my bike. S100 can be found at almost any motorcycle shop. For cleaning and polishing aluminum and chrome Master Formula is the best I have used. I bought a bottle at a motorcycle show years ago and I have been hooked ever since

http://www.s100.com/index.htm
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...h--619842.html
http://www.master-formula.com/Metal%20Polish.htm

x2 and enjoy the ride

Quick Reply: Anybody detail motorcycles?