Black FX4 Detail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black FX4 Detail?

Being relatively new to detailing (I have never spent much time making sure my vehicles sparkled.... that is until I bought my truck) and spending the last few hours looking through the detailing posts/sticky's etc....I need some advice. I have a Black '05 FX4 off road and have noticed scratches in the clear coat that I would like to make disappear. What is the best way for me (as a newbie) to go about doing this.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Without a PC its going to be really hard to remove scratches. You can use a polish with fillers to help hide them. Scratch-X would be good. If you have a PC then Poorboys SSR line is good and easy to use. I use Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish with good results with a PC.

Last edited by Sleestak; 03-23-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by plotko41
Being relatively new to detailing (I have never spent much time making sure my vehicles sparkled.... that is until I bought my truck) and spending the last few hours looking through the detailing posts/sticky's etc....I need some advice. I have a Black '05 FX4 off road and have noticed scratches in the clear coat that I would like to make disappear. What is the best way for me (as a newbie) to go about doing this.
Can you catch the scratches with your finger nail? If not, there are a few ways to get rid of them depending on how severe they are.

What detailing supplies do you currently own? Do you want to do it by machine or by hand?

Include some pics in this thread if possible.

Thanks,
Devildog101

Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 PM
If you run your fingernail across the scratches, can you feel them? If so, there's not much you can do about it. If not, you're in luck. Wash it off real good, using the proper methods of course, then get some Meguiar's Scratch-x and rub it on the scratches. You may have to rub pretty hard. No worries, it should be okay. Use a foam applicator if possible, and remove the residue with a good microfiber cloth.

This should take care of most minor scratches, and possibly cover up some of the worse ones. If there's still some there, try using a cleaner wax to conceal them.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by attworth
If you run your fingernail across the scratches, can you feel them? If so, there's not much you can do about it. If not, you're in luck. Wash it off real good, using the proper methods of course, then get some Meguiar's Scratch-x and rub it on the scratches. You may have to rub pretty hard. No worries, it should be okay. Use a foam applicator if possible, and remove the residue with a good microfiber cloth.

This should take care of most minor scratches, and possibly cover up some of the worse ones. If there's still some there, try using a cleaner wax to conceal them.

Good luck!
X2 on all this advice.

The only thing I might add is it may take multiple passes. It took me 3-4 passes by hand. When he says you may have to rub pretty hard it means don't be afraid to put your back in it. Personally, my door was bending in and out in order for the scratches to come out.

Good Luck

Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Suspended
Are we talking about line scratches or swirls?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Line scratches...you can't catch them with a fingernail, They aren't very deep.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Suspended
Scratch-X is your best bet than.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
once I use the Scratch-X, What should I use next?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
once I use the Scratch-X, What should I use next?
Well what exactly are you trying to do, a full detail? What products do you have?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I am trying to do a full detail for the 1st time. I just spent about an hour working out the scratches in the clear coat.....almost have them all gone. A couple spots are worse of then the others but, I had to stop for the night my 7 year old and 5 year old finally made me realize it was time to make dinner. I don't have much product at all, just scratch-X and NXT and I am not sure what to do next (I know NXT is the last step....at least I think it is).

Old 03-24-2008, 08:58 PM
i have the same truck as you and for the last two days have been using scratch x to remove my scratches also. rub it in and it will either remove or for the most part conceal the scratches by rounding the edges. i drive my truck on a farm so i have a few scratches that can be felt by finger nail. after the scratch x go over it with a cleaner or polish like deep crystal step 1 and then finally with the nxt. i bought a 6" orbital buffer for cheap at parts america that works great for the cleaner. This is what im doing and it is coming out great and removing the swirls left by the scratch x. good luck black is the most beautiful color as long as you can keep it looking nice.

oh and make sure you tape off the flares and handles or you will be sorry.

Last edited by jl530781; 03-24-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks jl! I appreciate the info....I will let you know how it goes

Old 03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
No pix yet but, thought I would let you know..Scratch-X has worked wonders on the scratches....virtually disappeared. There are a couple I have to do a little more work on but, the weather as turned (mid 30's today with chance of rain and snow) so it will have to wait, got to love chicago springs.

While I have been working on the truck i have noticed some small rock damage (little chips) on the front bumper. What would the best way to handle them be. Most people would never notice them...but of course I do.

I appreciate all the advice everyone gives on this site.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 AM
No pix yet but, thought I would let you know..Scratch-X has worked wonders on the scratches....virtually disappeared. There are a couple I have to do a little more work on but, the weather as turned (mid 30's today with chance of rain and snow) so it will have to wait, got to love chicago springs.

While I have been working on the truck i have noticed some small rock damage (little chips) on the front bumper. What would the best way to handle them be. Most people would never notice them...but of course I do.

I appreciate all the advice everyone gives on this site.
Usually rock chips are atleast through the clear coat, and most of the time are through the base coat. I have several that are all the way to the metal. Gotta love rock haulers!

There's not much you can do about it other than keep the area waxed. If they go through to the metal, definitely grab some touch-up paint.

Quick Reply: Black FX4 Detail?