First Detail!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Detail!!

I received my DA, pads etc on Saturday. Did the black F150. Looks great (for a newbie). I did not use the Lake orange pad with the DA as per Meguiars warnings. Just went with the white, gray and blue. I did have some problems with the NXT 2.0 paste wax. I applied by hand and tried to buff off with the MF bonnet placed over the lambswool pad. The bonnet keptspinning around and did not work at all. Any suggestions? Ifinally buffed off the wax by hand. What is best method to apply and remove the paste wax?? Could I have buffed off wax with a blue "finishing" pad from Lake Country??

Also, a couple of spots where the previous owner touched up( on the hood, round spots looks like acid or sap) Left a raised area of paint. Best method to smooth out these areas (compound, cleaner??)

Lastly, how do I know when to re wax? Do I strip off all old wax and re do all steps, clean,polish wax or just wash and reappy wax over the old?

Thanks

J

Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by drjay9051
I received my DA, pads etc on Saturday. Did the black F150. Looks great (for a newbie). I did not use the Lake orange pad with the DA as per Meguiars warnings. Just went with the white, gray and blue. I did have some problems with the NXT 2.0 paste wax. I applied by hand and tried to buff off with the MF bonnet placed over the lambswool pad. The bonnet keptspinning around and did not work at all. Any suggestions? Ifinally buffed off the wax by hand. What is best method to apply and remove the paste wax?? Could I have buffed off wax with a blue "finishing" pad from Lake Country??

Also, a couple of spots where the previous owner touched up( on the hood, round spots looks like acid or sap) Left a raised area of paint. Best method to smooth out these areas (compound, cleaner??)

Lastly, how do I know when to re wax? Do I strip off all old wax and re do all steps, clean,polish wax or just wash and reappy wax over the old?

Thanks

J
I apply and remove all waxes by hand. you use cutting pads when removing products with a microfiber bonnet on top. get some body solvent (smells wonderful) to help remove the sap. try claying first though since you want to do the least aggresive method first. at the very miniumum i would rewax at the beggining of every season, in reality, i do it every month. you can remove everything, but i just re-do the whole process; wash, clay, polish, polish, polish, drink beer, wax, lsp, then final detail.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Old 03-24-2008, 11:11 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
You did it backwards - you *can* apply NXT with a DA, but you should remove it by hand.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by glc
You did it backwards - you *can* apply NXT with a DA, but you should remove it by hand.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: First Detail!!