Getting started with the G100. Help Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting started with the G100. Help Needed.

I am getting ready to purchase a DA through Rick at ADS and I would like to have some advice from you all.

Pads and Backing Plates-What size pads, what type(cutting,polishing, etc...) Do I need a backing plate. I am ordering the #1 package. My paint is in pretty good shape, but has a few swirls I would like to remove. Please reccomend me whatever you think a newby should have.

I was also going to buy some #80, and some #9 for the DA. Are there any others that you would reccomend that you think i should be using in combination of these products.

Sorry I have no pics of the paint, but once again I just want to remove all swirls, and get the paint in the best shape possible. Really want to make it pop. Any help on choosing these products would be appreciated. I have been reading the detailing sticky twice a day, and I am ready to take the next step. It's time to give my arms a break.

thanks,

jrbhc8

Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by jrbhc8
I am getting ready to purchase a DA through Rick at ADS and I would like to have some advice from you all.

Pads and Backing Plates-What size pads, what type(cutting,polishing, etc...) Do I need a backing plate. I am ordering the #1 package. My paint is in pretty good shape, but has a few swirls I would like to remove. Please reccomend me whatever you think a newby should have.

I was also going to buy some #80, and some #9 for the DA. Are there any others that you would reccomend that you think i should be using in combination of these products.

Sorry I have no pics of the paint, but once again I just want to remove all swirls, and get the paint in the best shape possible. Really want to make it pop. Any help on choosing these products would be appreciated. I have been reading the detailing sticky twice a day, and I am ready to take the next step. It's time to give my arms a break.

thanks,

jrbhc8
First off, I think I would skip the #9....secondly as for Pads go, read the Detailing Dictionary.

Pad choice is highly personal. My preference is Lake Country VC pads.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
First off, I think I would skip the #9....secondly as for Pads go, read the Detailing Dictionary.

Pad choice is highly personal. My preference is Lake Country VC pads.
So should I just use my DA for #80? Is there anything else I should be using?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 AM
So should I just use my DA for #80? Is there anything else I should be using?
I would use your new DA with everything except your LSP.

what condition is your paint in?

Most of the time, when using Megs, folks will go 80, 7, 26 with some NXT thrown in.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Here this may help a bit.

Print.
Laminate.
Tack up.
Use.
Learn to love.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 AM

what condition is your paint in?

Most of the time, when using Megs, folks will go 80, 7, 26 with some NXT thrown in.
My paint is in pretty good shape. I clay every year and have been using the Mequiar 3 step. I am just ready to step up to the next level. Like I said the main focus is the light swirling and micro marring. There really isn't any serious deffects that I could point out. If you want I can take some pics and try to post them up. That would probably be the best way for you all to help me.

jrbhc8

Old 03-27-2008, 01:25 AM
My paint is in pretty good shape. I clay every year and have been using the Mequiar 3 step. I am just ready to step up to the next level. Like I said the main focus is the light swirling and micro marring. There really isn't any serious deffects that I could point out. If you want I can take some pics and try to post them up. That would probably be the best way for you all to help me.

jrbhc8
you've been using the 3 step by hand? Great, I would keep it simple.

NXT
26 or your fav LSP

Cheers

Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Suspended
I like my #9, thank you very much.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I like my #9, thank you very much.
Well...there is conceal and there's do it right, I prefer the latter.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Suspended
having the da is a right step in the right direction, however make sure that you have good mf's as well. Personally, i use the da for everthing except waxes, and i remove everthing by hand. putting some pics of the paint would really help, your truck is 4yrs old, so theres bound to be a few problems with it.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
You may wanna go with the #2 package. It'll come with 2 polishing pads and a finishing pad. Plus some product. (#80 I think? NXT, QD.) Keep in mind that Rick is very flexible with substituting products. If you see something you don't like too much, he'll usually swap it out for something you like better, (as long as the value is similar.)

For polishing, i.e. #80, you'll want to use the polishing pad. For clean up, i.e. #9, #7, etc, you'll want to use the finishing pad. I would apply the LSP by hand. You're really not "cutting" or "correcting" with the LSP, so simply rubbing the LSP on is all that need be done. (Personal opinion of course.)

Now if you want to venture into other products, Lake VC pads are amazing. I love 'em. Poor Boys products also work very well, but since I've used very few Meg's Polishes, I can't comment on a comparison.

Good luck to ya!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM

X2!!!

Devildog101

Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Well thanks for the help everyone. I have over a $300 dollar order I am going to make. Do you think that the training dvd is worth the money? Below is a list of what I am ordering. If you think I need to change please let me know. i appreciate all advice.

jrbhc8

Package #1 DA Polisher Ala Carte Kit (G100A)
Item # DA Ala Carte $149.99 USD

PC Training DVD
Item # PC DVD $24.95 USD

Premium Quality 16" x 16" Microfiber Towel 12 Pack
Item # ADS-MT-12 Select Color: Dark Gold
$9.99 USD

Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Item # G1016 $15.49 USD

Meguiar's Hyper Dressing 32 oz. Sampler
Item # D17032 $9.99 USD

Plastic Razor Blades 10-Pack
Item # PB-10 $2.00 USD

Meguiar's Speed Glaze 32 oz
Item # M8032 $13.99 USD

Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Soap 64 oz
Item # G7164 $8.49 USD

Meguiar's Microfiber Super Thick Wash Mitt
Item # X3002-N $4.99 USD

Meguiar's Show Car Glaze 16 oz.
Item # M0716 $8.99 USD

Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax 16 oz
Item # M2616 $10.99 USD

Meguiar's Foam Pad 6-Pack Special
Item # W8006, W9006 3 Pads Each $49.95 USD

Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Jrbhc8, that order looks PERFECT. It would be exactly what I'd tell ya to order. Now that I think about it, most of it is sitting in my room now... When you get the stuff, Gary and I have been talking about doing a big detail-o-thon that you'd be more than welcome to come to. Gary will provide the garage and probably the beer too...

Also, I heard there was a tornado where you live...

Old 03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Jrbhc8, that order looks PERFECT. It would be exactly what I'd tell ya to order. Now that I think about it, most of it is sitting in my room now... When you get the stuff, Gary and I have been talking about doing a big detail-o-thon that you'd be more than welcome to come to. Gary will provide the garage and probably the beer too...

Also, I heard there was a tornado where you live...

Every May, I usually park the truck for a week, and do about 20-30 hours of detaling on it. This year I am going to have to start early since I will be out of state as soon as the semester is over.

I haven't hear much about the tornado. We were downstairs in the basement and heard a roar, but I don't think anything touched down around here. It's been some crazy weather. We had an inch of hail Wednesday and now this yesterday. Now everyone knows why I haven't been able to get any pictures of my paint to post up. LOL

Quick Reply: Getting started with the G100. Help Needed.