Car Wash Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Wash Suggestions

So I was thinking that this summer I could wash and wax cars around my neighborhood to bring a little extra money.

My questions to you guys are:

What products should I use when washing/waxing other peoples cars.

What should I charge for a:
Wash/ Vaccum inside
Wax
Tire Dressing

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:28 PM
id say 20-30 dollars would be a good starting point

and as for products, megs gold class, and maybe some mother carnuba or nxt wax and hyper dressing would definately be a good product to use

Old 03-27-2008, 07:16 PM
My responses are in bold.

Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
So I was thinking that this summer I could wash and wax cars around my neighborhood to bring a little extra money.
Good luck!!! I was going to do this until a $3 car wash upened up... As much as I hate the idea, they actually do pretty good work. I guess the cleaning stuff isnt too gritty yet... Their chemicals leave a pretty good look for what it is. (Yes, I tried it once to see... Not too bad...Wont go there again, though...)
My questions to you guys are:

What products should I use when washing/waxing other peoples cars.

***Wash: Megs Gold Class. Cheap, buy by the gallon. Please dilute properly, and for extra bonus points, use the 2 bucket method, although on a simple wash-wax, this may not be necessary.
***Wax: : I would go for Meguiars NXT 2.0. Also, for a small extra fee, you could top it with any carnauba wax (step 3 of DC system, GC, etc...) NXT 2.0 will give you some mild cleaners and fillers not to mention it has a high gloss (most customers will like this) and lasts a long time. GC will deepen and darken it. Looks really nice on top of NXT
***Dressing: Order some HyperDressing from ADS (clicky). You can dilute from 1:1 to 4:1. FANTASTIC stuff. Search around to see how much everybody here loves it...

Charge? I would say $20-30, depending on what you can get where you live. Perhaps add $10 to do a carnauba on top of NXT. Be willing to work with customers (ie: if they drive a compact car, cut them a deal. If they drive an F-750, charge them a few extra...) Also, be prepared for people to totally freak out on you for any one of several reasons. I will explain later-- I have to go to work
What should I charge for a:
Wash/ Vaccum inside
Wax
Tire Dressing

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Also, be prepared for people to totally freak out on you for any one of several reasons.

bahahaha exactly why i have decided to pursue any career where i do not have to provide a service to people and deal with them directly.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Yeah Im kinda confused as to what f150 sports response is. I get what he is saying, but why is it all in a quote from me?

The local car washes around here charge about 12-15 bucks for a wash for a normal car, and a few more bucks for trucks etc.

Also, a hand wax is like $45 -$60. Don't you think $30 is a little low, or will people just not bother when they can pay 45 at a real car wash?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
My neighbor took his truck to have it detailed at the local car wash $100. I washed my truck at home and detailed it myself and my neighbor came over and said that he wished that I did his truck for the $$$ he spent. My other neighbor said that he was going to go and have his truck detailed and I told him that I would do it for $60 and he said ok. I enjoy spending the time outside working on this type of work. It sure is better than sitting behind my desk at work!

TNCREW

Old 03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah Im kinda confused as to what f150 sports response is. I get what he is saying, but why is it all in a quote from me?

The local car washes around here charge about 12-15 bucks for a wash for a normal car, and a few more bucks for trucks etc.

Also, a hand wax is like $45 -$60. Don't you think $30 is a little low, or will people just not bother when they can pay 45 at a real car wash?
I did that so I didnt have to do this for every part:

Originally Posted by someone
blah blah blah
then type my response, then do this:
Originally Posted by same guy as above
more blah blah
then type my response to that...

catch the drift?

now, if this is easier, here is my response section to the rest of your post:

Well, if you can get more in your area, go for it. In my town, people are hard pressed to give you $25 for a wash/wax, even if it is all by hand. Why? We have a $3 car wash in town that gives pretty good results. Granted, its way worse, but the average person doesnt know or care about that.
On the other hand, if I drove over to RollingRock's neighborhood, I could probably snag $50+ for a hand wash/wax, and whereas $250 would be a full detail here, it would be upwards of $500 there... And he is only about 10 or so miles from me...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by TNCREW
My neighbor took his truck to have it detailed at the local car wash $100. I washed my truck at home and detailed it myself and my neighbor came over and said that he wished that I did his truck for the $$$ he spent. My other neighbor said that he was going to go and have his truck detailed and I told him that I would do it for $60 and he said ok. I enjoy spending the time outside working on this type of work. It sure is better than sitting behind my desk at work!

TNCREW
Whew!!! $60 is slave labor... When I did a detail on a 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 (Dually, black), it was $120, but then again, it was done in the driveway in the hot sun.

Speaking of which, I vow to never again try that. I had QD drying before I could get the clay to it... We ended up keeping the truck's panels wet right before doing a part (cool them with the hose then immediately QD and clay...) That wsa some of the most painstaking work I have done on a truck yet. Using polish and wax was pretty difficult, too...

So, for those of you thinking of doing this sort of thing, dont forget to get a shade-making device (albeit a tarp, portable tent thing, make customers drive to your garage, etc...)

Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 PM
This thread makes me giggle.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
This thread makes me giggle.
That's because after you have had enough of these, everything is funny!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Danggg, I must have closed my internet yesterday not realizing I hadn't put up my post yet. Well thinking back to what I was probably going to say....

No one where I live does anything themselves, like even wash their car themself, so I could potentially charge a decent amount. Plus there aren't really any cheap car washes.

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it

Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
LRG
I say go for it! I used to mow lawns in the summer, whatever pays you know?

I think the others have covered products pretty well, the detailing sticky is also very worthwhile.

I'd say charge what the market will bear, chances are in California you're going to be able to charge more than you could say in middle of Wyoming. I'd say try to position yourself in between an automatic car wash but less than a shop would charge for a full detail, remember they're a full on business, you're doing it out of your trunk/driveway so set your pricepoint as such. Make the cars look fantastic and you shouldn't have too much finding enough customers to keep you busy enough.

Remember obviously if they're dissatisfied in anyway they're probably not going to repeat. Most of the time they won't say anything directly to you but you won't see them again. Take that with a grain of salt though, some people are just stupid and will never be satisfied, and some will only plan on it being a one time thing.

Go for the people that definately want more that at the local automatic car wash but don't quite want to pay what a shop would charge and you'll be golden.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 AM
http://www.pyracantha.com/images/rol...ock%20beer.jpg
Thats why I enjoy doing it! LOL

OK How do I get the picture on here?

Last edited by TNCREW; 03-29-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
That's because after you have had enough of these, everything is funny!

Thats why I enjoy it!

Last edited by TNCREW; 04-05-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
I was going to do this until a $3 car wash upened up... As much as I hate the idea, they actually do pretty good work.
I'm having a tough time believing this.

Three bills for "... pretty good work?"

Doubt it.... highly.

Quick Reply: Car Wash Suggestions