Help please... Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:20 PM
It is build up (most likely brake dust). You are going to have to work at it gently to get it off.

Last edited by roushstage2; 04-08-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2008 | 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by roushstage2
It is build up (most likely brake dust). You are going to have to work at it gently to get it off.
Huh? Brake dust? What are you talking about?

Brake dust requires next to no work for me to get off.

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:39 AM
|
From my guess i would say it is salt from the roads this winter... I couldnt wash my wheels off after every drive cause i am in college so it probably built up...

Can you guys list some products i can use to make this as easy as possible... Like i said I already used Megs All Wheel Cleaner and a stiff bristled brush and a lot of elbow grease and scrubbing...

And also can you list some products to use to brighten up the face of the wheels? get them to "BLING" per say...

Old 04-09-2008 | 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
Huh? Brake dust? What are you talking about?

Brake dust requires next to no work for me to get off.

If it builds up, it doesn't just come off. I'm sure it would be more than just brake dust though... I have gotten that off of wheels before, the same type of stuff. If you went say, all winter like I'm guessing almost happened, without them getting really good scrub downs, that could happen.

Last edited by roushstage2; 04-09-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2008 | 01:51 AM
|
Yeah, It was prob a month or so without a really good scrub down... so your saying it is salt just built up...

SO what do i NEED to DO?

products, steps, ect...

THANKS!

Old 04-09-2008 | 02:06 AM
First, I'd get a chrome wheel wash and let is soak in it and scrub it good a few times. Then I'd use something like Hot Rims polish a bit on the heavier side to help break it down. Then just keep working my way up and finish with a chrome polish to give it maximum shine. Then you could seal it with a wheel sealant if you want.

Old 04-09-2008 | 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by SuperLB51
.... They are chrome wheels (probably clearcoated) from KMC...

chrome wheels and clearcoated very unlikely....most wheels are bare alum, chrome plated alum or steel, or painted/and or cleared over a machined or polished finish.

this looks like a case in point for needed an acid wheel wash. it appears to be brake dust build up...yes uncleaned will develop little bumps....i would say that they should come clean with an acid based wheel cleaner and that it is brake dust since the pitting is very consistant and only on the inner rim...most pitting on rims that are chrome defects are not such an even coverage, and only on the inside. pitting when its first noticed would be very blotchy and you would prob see some on the face of the rim too. another thing that has me almost certain that it is brake dust is that its on all rims, or front only....not just one rim.

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:14 AM
Based on those pictures – and your description – I think you just have good old fashioned oxidation / corrosion on your wheels. Most aftermarket chrome plated wheels are just not finished to the same standards as factory chrome plated wheels. The plating isn’t as thick and there (generally) isn’t a clear coat to protect the chrome. So, if you don’t take extremely good care of them, you end up with exactly the situation you have. Basically, you’re far better off removing this type of wheel and keeping it away from road salt. (Trust me, I live in the road salt capital of the free world.) That said, you’ve got a problem and you asked for help, so here goes.

I’ve occasionally seen black lumps on the inside / back of my wheels and believe it’s from blacktop patch used to fill potholes. It gets kicked up and trapped behind the wheel, then, the heat from the brakes bakes it in. How does one remove it? A good solvent will soften it up so you can remove it with a plastic razor blade. You can also polish some of it off using chrome polish. (I wouldn’t worry about using it here since you most likely don’t have clear coat.) I’d follow the polish with a synthetic sealant such as Zaino, NXT, etc.

Your pictures also showed some oxidation on the front of the wheels. The bad news here is that one you start the oxidation process, your chrome plating has generally been penetrated and without lots of attention, the oxidation will just keep coming back to visit you. I’d suggest using chrome polish again and following it up with a synthetic sealant. While nothing will last on wheels for very long due to brake heat, it beats no protection at all. Hope that helps.

Old 04-09-2008 | 10:36 AM
I use brake cleaner and a scrotchbright pad to get that stuff off when i balance wheels using stick ons

Old 04-09-2008 | 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Your pictures also showed some oxidation on the front of the wheels. The bad news here is that one you start the oxidation process, your chrome plating has generally been penetrated and without lots of attention, the oxidation will just keep coming back to visit you. I’d suggest using chrome polish again and following it up with a synthetic sealant. While nothing will last on wheels for very long due to brake heat, it beats no protection at all. Hope that helps.
The bold type in your post is one of the most important things you said.
As that is what I beleive has happened.
I think the salt has gotten past the chrome and into the metal itself. Maybe I am wrong but by the looks of it I think that is what he is dealing wiht.

Last edited by Richard D; 04-09-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2008 | 01:28 PM
|
They are still under warranty... So I will call them . Thanks guys... This time around I will take them to a paint shop and have them clear coated.

Old 04-09-2008 | 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by SuperLB51
They are still under warranty... So I will call them . Thanks guys... This time around I will take them to a paint shop and have them clear coated.
if there are bumps on the chrome... thats is the beginning stage of pitting. the moisture gets under the chrome plating and seperates it from the metal that the wheel is made of.. like you said its under warranty so get them taken care of ASAP.. the warranty has fine print so make sure you read it before taking the next step.
as far as clearcoat on the chrome...
i dont think thats a good idea. i am not a wheel guy or a paint/finish guy... but.. i dont think chrome and clearcoat are a good mix.. i could be wrong but do some research first!

Old 04-09-2008 | 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by 1badstx
I use brake cleaner and a scrotchbright pad to get that stuff off when i balance wheels using stick ons
Ouch for the wheel.

Old 04-09-2008 | 07:35 PM
|
See but the thing i dont understand is that when i was scrubbing them some of this stuff came off and it looked fine underneath?

And some chrome wheels are clearcoated... so i dont see that being a problem...am i right?

So are these wheels clearcoated do yall think??? If they are not i am going to get some chrome polish and buff this **** off... along with freshen the front up...

Last edited by SuperLB51; 04-09-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2008 | 07:50 PM
i think only polished aluminum wheels have a clearcoat.. i dont think chrome needs a sealant (clearcoat) because chrome is itself a sealant.

Quick Reply: Help please... Wheels