Think I might do it

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Are you guys living together now? If not, I'd be trying that out before taking that big of a leap.

My girlfriend and I just moved in together after two and half years.
I disagree that moving in before marriage is a good idea. You get back from the honeymoon and its just the same old stuff. There's nothing really exciting about it after that. Both of my brothers made that mistake. The oldest has been married and divorced twice. The other one is struggling, but they're working through it. The cause - boredom.

We've spent weeks together at a time, but nothing longer than that.

On a positive note, the only debt she has are student loans, which her dad is repaying. But she's not a "virgin to the world," so to speak. She's more financially sound than I am. My vice is this disease we call OCD, and my truck in general.. her's is Target and Ikea - and she cut it off. I'm not that strong of a person!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 AM
If you think you're ready, then go for it.

Just think, in a few years, you'll have a few minions to help you with your OCD'ness.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
If you think you're ready, then go for it.

Just think, in a few years, you'll have a few minions to help you with your OCD'ness.

No sir... Not anytime soon! We're still in school, mind you.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by attworth
No sir... Not anytime soon! We're still in school, mind you.
I forget you are still in school, my advice would be to wait....

Otherwise you could be in for some tough times.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I forget you are still in school, my advice would be to wait....

Otherwise you could be in for some tough times.
We've thought about this too. She's done in February 09. I'm done towards the end of 09. We wouldn't be getting married in a month or anything.

I agree it would be tough to juggle school and a new life.. Not to mention the crap hole I call work.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GO FOR IT! It sounds like you really like her. And even if you ask her now it does not mean you guys have to get married in a year. Hell my parents were ingaged for 5 years before they finally got married. (both had been married previously and wanted to make sure it was worth it.) Now they have been happily married for 8 years.

Last edited by 05_sprcrw; 04-03-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Suspended
I disagree that moving in before marriage is a good idea. You get back from the honeymoon and its just the same old stuff. There's nothing really exciting about it after that. Both of my brothers made that mistake. The oldest has been married and divorced twice. The other one is struggling, but they're working through it. The cause - boredom.

We've spent weeks together at a time, but nothing longer than that.

On a positive note, the only debt she has are student loans, which her dad is repaying. But she's not a "virgin to the world," so to speak. She's more financially sound than I am. My vice is this disease we call OCD, and my truck in general.. her's is Target and Ikea - and she cut it off. I'm not that strong of a person!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so I'm not going to say your wrong and I'm right because in all honesty there is no right or wrong. But in the same token it holds true for the other side of the story. Living together is going to make you realize things about the other person that you might not like or that you do like. Just because your brother's relationships didn't work out, it wasn't exactly because they lived together before marriage. What about all of the people who have had many years of happy marriage and lived together before hitching up?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been engaged for 5 months now and plan to be for at least another year and a half or so. My rules of actually getting married is a stable job and health insurance (which both of us are still are still in oollege so it'll be just a short while) ... I dont see anything wrong with putting the ring on the finger then waiting awhile... just cause she was yes.. doesn't mean right now.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I truly love you guys. All these opinions and points really help put things into perspective and give me more things to think about. C&D doesn't only apply to trucks!

I'm going to talk to her old man, try and get a ring, and go from there. I'm slowly getting my life in line, and I want her to be with me every step of the way.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm going to talk to her old man, try and get a ring, and go from there. I'm slowly getting my life in line, and I want her to be with me every step of the way.
I know exactly what you're talking about, I'm in the same boat. I want to propose to my girl too. However, I'm in a different situation. I'm out of school for starters. Fresh out of college but out nonetheless. I highly recommend you wait until both of you are out of school.

You mention that you want her to be with you every step of the way, and that's a great thing. You must have the same feeling I get when I'm with my girl, the feeling of being a better man with her by my side. Taking the relationship to the ultimate level of committment is no joke, and I see you understand this. With that said, if you truely feel she is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with, work through any problems that arise, and be the figure-head of the family then do it.

My advice is this, if you are still "thinking of doing it" then don't. Not until you wake up one morning and say to yourself, "I want to marry her" and have absolutely no doubts in your mind she is the one for you.

PS - Talking to her dad/parents will also help as I'm sure they'll pitch in some advice. I'll be doing the same thing when the time comes for me. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Hate to play devils advocate but don't forget even at best you're looking at a 50/50 shot. However on the upside statistically childhood sweethearts have a higher rate of success.

Infidelity has left me very callous and bitter though lol

A few thoughts.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
Hate to play devils advocate but don't forget even at best you're looking at a 50/50 shot. However on the upside statistically childhood sweethearts have a higher rate of success.

Infidelity has left me very callous and bitter though lol

A few thoughts.

Nice....

Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Are you guys living together now? If not, I'd be trying that out before taking that big of a leap.

My girlfriend and I just moved in together after two and half years.
Is the girl in your sig your girlfriend? If not you should move in with her instead.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Do it !!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by cufootn
Is the girl in your sig your girlfriend? If not you should move in with her instead.
Haha naw she's not the girlfriend. I know better than to post pictures of her on here. Too many leg humpers !!