Differences/Similarities

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gators241987
Glancing through some old threads, I think it was Intel, who posted a pic of a detail, everyone said wow, looks great, etc. everyone asked what he did, products, etc. he let it go on for a while, then eventually said he used dawn dish soap on it. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Different strokes for different folks. I can detail my truck every time with the same products and there will be differences every time, microscopic to visible, it just depends. Basically, find something you like and perfect it.
an old trick, Rock was telling me of a similar post a few years back. Classic.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go polish the bed bolts in my truck.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I think you all misunderstood my question (and TBH, whn I rread it, I thought I was crazy... No more late-night posting after Calculus...), but I rephrased it to JP in a PM last night (or mayb it was this morning):

I am looking for a substitute for #16 and was wondering if there is a comparable product (I was really hoping CIW #915 would be the one). Then, I got curious about P21S and how it would compare to som other waxes... And in my tiredness it went from there.

Agreed-- it isnt the products as much as technique and results, but I definately njoy playing with new products.

Most of all, I was trying to expand my horizons. I have VERY rarely found a product that I will throw away... There are PLENTY of uses for each one (although not ncessarily on my own truck, I find many people satisfied with those products)

In any case, I didnt mean to stir things up, I was just curious... I guess I will google this later...

Old 04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Ryan - far be it from me to try to tell you how to do things, after all, it was I that was asking you for advice last fall. However, why don't you try this on your next detail?

Use the products you are happy and comfortable with up till your LSP. Then for the LSP, try 2 coats of NXT 2.0, 12 hours apart, and see how you like the results. You may well be very happy with it as is. If not, then you can always experiment with different pure carnaubas on top of it.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Ryan - far be it from me to try to tell you how to do things, after all, it was I that was asking you for advice last fall. However, why don't you try this on your next detail?
No worries-- I am aware that I dont know everything, and sometimes (okay, more than sometimes) I fail to see the glaringly obvious...

Originally Posted by glc
Use the products you are happy and comfortable with up till your LSP. Then for the LSP, try 2 coats of NXT 2.0, 12 hours apart, and see how you like the results. You may well be very happy with it as is. If not, then you can always experiment with different pure carnaubas on top of it.
I know, I know... I have used NXT 2.0 (and like it a lot), but I was thinking of getting one new carnauba. Why? I have heard great things about #16, but unless I win the current ebay auction, I wont have it. So, I thought that the Collinite #915 sounded similar in description, so I thought I would ask about it.

Then, I thought "Well, why not have someone describe it as compared to some waxes I have used?" So I put the bit about Nattys and #26 on there. (First mistake). So I got to thinking "I wonder what Fleetwax is good for (Collinite) as compared to #915???" So I thought I would ask about that, too. (second mistake), then, I thought "what about P21S and others???" (third mistake)... See how it starts to get crazy after the first mistake...

Then, I went absolutely insane and asked about other stuff...

So, as said before, after re-reading my post, I realized how lunatic I sounded, but I didnt want to be a [insert the foul word of your choice here] and edit my original post...

MY PLAN OF ACTION AS OF NOW: Wait until my ADS goodies arrive tomorrow, then after applying #26, sit there and think about how nice it would be to be using some Nattys Blue, #16, or some other expensive wax...

...and after re-reading this post, I sound fully insane... I think RP should delete this thread so I can maybe forget how crazy I am...Maybe it will prevent another incidence of me being loco...

Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
No worries - you are just showing your OCD.

My detailing expertise is mainly old school - back in the days of single stage paints which require a totally different approach than a base/clear. The products back then don't bear much resemblance to today's either. I'm comparing the efforts involved back then and the final results to today's equivalent, and am simply amazed with the ease of use and the final appearance of NXT 2.0. Heck, if I didn't know better (now), I'd be very impressed with a simple wash the vehicle and apply/remove NXT 2.0 by hand with no intermediate steps. In fact, after I did my truck out in CA this winter with clay, DCP, and NXT 2.0 all by hand, my nephew and I did his Explorer and my sister's BMW the same way, skipping the DCP, and they both wound up looking great in his and her eyes, the NXT seems to have "enough" polish and fillers in it to hide a lot of flaws by itself. You OCD'ers here would probably disapprove of the final results if you looked at all 3 vehicles closely, but everything is relative.

I think clay is probably the best invention in detailing products in a long time. That right there does a heck of a surface prep for "waxing".

Old 04-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by glc
No worries - you are just showing your OCD.

My detailing expertise is mainly old school - back in the days of single stage paints which require a totally different approach than a base/clear. The products back then don't bear much resemblance to today's either. I'm comparing the efforts involved back then and the final results to today's equivalent, and am simply amazed with the ease of use and the final appearance of NXT 2.0. Heck, if I didn't know better (now), I'd be very impressed with a simple wash the vehicle and apply/remove NXT 2.0 by hand with no intermediate steps. In fact, after I did my truck out in CA this winter with clay, DCP, and NXT 2.0 all by hand, my nephew and I did his Explorer and my sister's BMW the same way, skipping the DCP, and they both wound up looking great in his and her eyes, the NXT seems to have "enough" polish and fillers in it to hide a lot of flaws by itself. You OCD'ers here would probably disapprove of the final results if you looked at all 3 vehicles closely, but everything is relative.

I think clay is probably the best invention in detailing products in a long time. That right there does a heck of a surface prep for "waxing".

Agreed. Most of the time when I am not doing my own or a client paying a lot, I will skip #7 or #9 and go straight to NXT 2.0. I like it a lot... My parents and brother's cars get the same stuff-- NXT 2.0 (topped with some cheap-o wax a friend gave me)

Anyway,I have to go, but I have to mention-- MY GOODIES ARRIVED TODAY!!! (Will post ehen I get home tonight)

Old 04-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Ryan, i actually love these kind of discussions

Instead of the same ole NXT 12 hours apart routine, you are stretching your boundaries, which i think is important..sure knowing 1 or 2 lines thoroughly will be helpful..i think that i heed that statement for in lines of polishing products..not LSP

Souveran will not be your cup of tea...at 80 bucks a tin, it will not impress i dont think..i bought and looked and then sold cuz it just wasnt worth it. Its durability is terrible but looks are great...i want something that looks great and offers decent durability...therefore i chose chemical guys 50/50 concourse but that is just me....the P21S 100% carnauba is a great wax..really wet...but very expensive. #26 is a great wax for the money..deep and actually decent durability.

#16 is of course illusive from online shops but it can be had second hand quite easily...autopia has for sale sections that offer it for around 20 a can shipped...this is pretty unbeatable i think...my advice would be to check around these sections at autopia, detailingbliss and see what you can find...until then 26 is the best for performance to cost ratio in my honest opinion....

Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by stud_135
Ryan, i actually love these kind of discussions

Instead of the same ole NXT 12 hours apart routine, you are stretching your boundaries, which i think is important..sure knowing 1 or 2 lines thoroughly will be helpful..i think that i heed that statement for in lines of polishing products..not LSP

Souveran will not be your cup of tea...at 80 bucks a tin, it will not impress i dont think..i bought and looked and then sold cuz it just wasnt worth it. Its durability is terrible but looks are great...i want something that looks great and offers decent durability...therefore i chose chemical guys 50/50 concourse but that is just me....the P21S 100% carnauba is a great wax..really wet...but very expensive. #26 is a great wax for the money..deep and actually decent durability.

#16 is of course illusive from online shops but it can be had second hand quite easily...autopia has for sale sections that offer it for around 20 a can shipped...this is pretty unbeatable i think...my advice would be to check around these sections at autopia, detailingbliss and see what you can find...until then 26 is the best for performance to cost ratio in my honest opinion....
Thanks, man. I appreciate being understood/taken seriously... And I agree with the correction vs. LSP idea you have (ie: 1-2 lines for correction and experiment with LSP)

Anyway, thanks for the input for the other waxes-- as you can tell, I looked at names and not pricetags... Glad you brought that up. Thanks for the tips on finding #16, BTW.

Anyway, I am off to bed... Thanks for the reply!