detailing experts help needed (ie rockpick, rollingrock, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
detailing experts help needed (ie rockpick, rollingrock, etc)

Im hoping that someone with more knowledge than myself can help me with this problem. I DJ on the weekends, as I have for roughly 8 years or so, anyway - about 4 years ago I bought an enclosed 6x10 Pace cargo trailer with a ramp door on the rear and side door. Its jet black with silver painted frame and a silver roof, that im pretty sure is maybe just unpainted aluminum? When i bought the trailer, brand new, it absolutely gleamed and stayed that way for a couple of years. I had asked the dealer when I bought it how to keep the trailer's finish looking good and I was told nothing, the aluminum finish wasnt like a car's paint so I wouldnt need wax or anything of that nature. Just wash it when it gets dirty and be done with it. Well fast forward to now, my trailer is anything but gleaming. Its black finish couldnt be any duller. Ive washed and scrubbed and cant seem to get it to shine. I dont know if its mildew or what but its horrible looking. The frame has spots of surface rust showing where the silver paint has chipped, but thats easily fixable. I was hoping someone might know of some secret to restoring the finish on this trailer. Ive looked all over the web and even asked other trailer dealers and nobody can seem to give me an actual answer, they all just say wash it but washing it does nothing, the dull stains and coloring never go away.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 AM
If it is in fact paint, you just need to go through the detailing cycle. On a towing trailer, it may not be worth while to clay it. You can if you want to though. After that, you will need to clean the paint. I have only really used Meguiar's, so I can help you with those products.

In the Meguiar's line, you can use a product like M80 Speed Glaze. It is a cleaner/polish. You may want to use something like this to save you a step. It will help remove swirls, scratches, and oxidation. It will also add oils to the paint to make it look darker and shinier. M80 is best utilized by machine, but can also be used by hand. As for the wax, Meguiar's NXT 2.0 is a really good choice. It is a full synthetic wax with much better durability than the original. As for the aluminum roof, grab yourself a Powerball, an electric (plug in) drill, and Meguiar's Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum polish. The polish on the powerball yields superfast, great looking results.

Any pictures?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 AM
What polishes have you used on it so far if any?

Sight unseen it sounds like oxidation of a single stage paint. Pics would help the more knowledgable folks out a bunch.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to have to defer to needing pictures as well... I concur with JGG in that it sounds like it's likely single stage with oxidation but, it's a tough call to advise without really seeing it up close.

Just curious... have you tried rubbing on a spot with a product like cleaner wax? If so, did your pad/finger/toe turn the color of the paint?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I will try and get some pics today of the trailer. I have not tried putting any kind of cleaner wax on the finish though. I may try that when I get off work.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by south_ms_sprcru
I will try and get some pics today of the trailer. I have not tried putting any kind of cleaner wax on the finish though. I may try that when I get off work.
If you opt to give it a try, test it in an inconspicious place first. We'll wait for the pics.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM
The only reason I think it isn't SS (which I ventured to think it was oxidation at first as well) is because it was stated the good looking finish lasted for a couple of years, and SS paint "untreated" won't look good that long. I am still curious to see though.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I dont think its single stage paint, bc it did stay very shiny for the first couple of years and I remember asking if the finish was anything like the finish of a vehicle and they told me over and over again that it was not.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by south_ms_sprcru
I dont think its single stage paint, bc it did stay very shiny for the first couple of years and I remember asking if the finish was anything like the finish of a vehicle and they told me over and over again that it was not.
Vehicles are no longer SS. None to my knowledge anyway. Maybe that's where-in lies the confusion.

I'm surprised RR hasn't chimed in. He seems to take good care of his camper. I'm sure it has a similar finish.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 AM
There are actually vehicles still produced today with single stage paint. Usually blacks and reds. If they said it wasn't like an automotive finish, maybe it is a painted gel coat?

EDIT- here is from the Pace website:

EXTERIOR SKIN MAINTENANCE
Clean exterior aluminum streaks with Black Streak Remover. Wash exterior often with a soft brush and a quality RV or Trailer Wash and Wax solution.

Last edited by roushstage2; 04-11-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Id find a quality detailer to take care of it. Never go to any type of dealership for any detailing needs/ questions.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:02 PM
i figured a detailer would charge me out of the rear to polish up all that aluminum...its 6x10x6, so two long walls, two short walls, and a long roof...that would take hours to polish wouldnt it?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Sorry I haven't chimed in b/c I am not sure what to do.

My camper is not similar. It is GelCoat, totally different, requires a much different approach.

To the OP, sorry man I don't have any suggestions for you on this one.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Do you happen to try the Cleaner Wax yet and see what happens, pictures?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
We gotta figure out exactly what this "finish" is to properly advise.

Quick Reply: detailing experts help needed (ie rockpick, rollingrock, etc)