Bullet Hole

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bullet Hole

Last night around 8:30 ish i was shot at driving home from Mcdonalds, i was getting food for my family. The bullet struck the passanger side quater panel punching a hole though it. Its between a .38 caliber or 9mm, too big to be a .22.

now that the story is out of the way how should i fix this new panel or bondo and sand down? My truck is oxford white so paint shouldnt be hard to match.

should i be posting this somewhere else if so i will.

i will have pictures up as soon as i can find my camera.. the picture is on my cell phone at the moment so i can text it to someone if need be.

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 04-22-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Suspended
was there any other damage besides cosmetic? Id take it to a dealer or body shop and get it checked out then get a quote on the fix. File it against your insurance company and file a police report if you havent already. Hope you're ok. Strange story. Let me know how it works out. Not a big fan of bondo, unless you drive a bagged chevy.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Put plate armor over it???

Old 04-14-2008, 12:05 AM
yes police report was filed and my insurance deductable is $500 so if its not over that im gonna be paying it out of pocket anyway. I also am oposed to bondo, this all happened last Saturday night and it was the first time this had ever happened like this. I dont have my camera but ill be posting pictures soon.

And there was no damage under the hood, the bullet was going upward and back toward the drive seat it punched though the quarter panel the struck the "lip of metal" that the hood sits on when closed, being that it struck the corner it didnt have enough force to punch though that also. the quarter panel is the only damage.

Actually the Officer that responded is a member on here dont know his name but he said he was on here. Might arise after he see's this and if so.. "Thanks to your service"

if the bullet would have been over a foot it would have struck my daughters car seat... she wasnt with me thank god!

Plate armor? is that a joke? this isnt a joke i could have been killed just as easily my daughter could have been killed if she was riding with me!

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 04-14-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Applies to such a small area, filler is the correct repair. When done right there will be so little that you should not be able to see any difference at all. Should be a 1 hour repair with refinshing time as well (1.5h hours?). I'd guess $250 in all, perhaps $300.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by tcope
Applies to such a small area, filler is the correct repair. When done right there will be so little that you should not be able to see any difference at all. Should be a 1 hour repair with refinshing time as well (1.5h hours?). I'd guess $250 in all, perhaps $300.
Thank you im low on funds do to unemployment (rrrr) should i go ahead and spray some primer over the metal to keep from rusting? and my truck is a 99 how much has my oxford white faded will brand new paint match or will it need to be blended?

Thank you agian!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Yeah, it was a joke. Didn't know you would get so upset over it...

As for the filler, as tcope pointed out, this is the correct situation for it. It gets a bad name because idiots who damage their cars go buy a gallon of it, slap it on all over the car (which is what is absolutely isn't meant for), then it breaks apart and falls off later.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:35 AM
no not really upset just not the right time for it! answer my question then joke about it, instead of throwing a joke out there... my stepdad told me to spray some clear paint over it and leave it there, id be golden seeing how everyone is buying those stick on bullet holes.. haha.

and yes i thought about plate armor actually, with the way this world is going might as well drive a tank, or at least a humvee!

i have a sence of humor just help me out alittle before joking sorry for buggin out on you though!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 AM
No problem, I understand. My apologies.

I definitely think in the mean time though, putting a clear or primer on it would be best so it at least doesn't start to rust or anything. When you take it to the shop, they will most likely sand the area around the hole down to the metal, plug it up, then repaint it. As for the color, it may be better for them to match it to the paint now instead of the factory paint (unless it has been cleaned and polished up).

Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=roushstage2;3162944]No problem, I understand. My apologies.

I definitely think in the mean time though, putting a clear or primer on it would be best so it at least doesn't start to rust or anything. When you take it to the shop, they will most likely sand the area around the hole down to the metal, plug it up, then repaint it. As for the color, it may be better for them to match it to the paint now instead of the factory paint (unless it has been cleaned and polished up).[/QUOTE]

HEHE my truck gets a monthly bath and a bi-monthly wax the paint is scatched to primer in a few spots (mostly previous owner) and dented in others. There is also black spray paint (overspray i geuss) from the neighbors.

The truck will be getting completely striped and sanded next year then repainted, gator blue, black or forest green cant choose!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 AM
If it were me, since the truck is going to be repainted, use some touch up paint and call it good. No point in spending all of that money right now if you are going to have it completely repainted next year. You could have it fixed then, and it would be cheaper since they are already stripping the paint off and doing light body work.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
no not really upset just not the right time for it! answer my question then joke about it, instead of throwing a joke out there... my stepdad told me to spray some clear paint over it and leave it there, id be golden seeing how everyone is buying those stick on bullet holes.. haha.

and yes i thought about plate armor actually, with the way this world is going might as well drive a tank, or at least a humvee!

i have a sence of humor just help me out alittle before joking sorry for buggin out on you though!
ok now since you mentioned the way this worlds going, this is when you purchase an AR-15 (or your assault rifle of choice) and shoot back! fight crime!

lol sorry but no matter what you do your gonna spend more than you want on paint matching. if it was me i'd cut out a peice of metal, stitch weld it in, body fill it to smooth, prime n paint.

i feel your pain about the daughter issue, i have a 6month old now too. but im pretty sure the first bullet shot at me better be the last. either i'm gonna chase him down without a gun and die that way, or im hunting him like a piggy with a pump shotty to make a mess.

Last edited by Klitch; 04-14-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
ok now since you mentioned the way this worlds going, this is when you purchase an AR-15 (or your assault rifle of choice) and shoot back! fight crime!

lol sorry but no matter what you do your gonna spend more than you want on paint matching. if it was me i'd cut out a peice of metal, stitch weld it in, body fill it to smooth, prime n paint.
yes defintely and my .45 is going back in my truck loaded! my 20 gage is in there but thats hard to get to and load then fire. im going to be take a concealed weapons class to get my permit. im sick of the stoop kids/gangs that want to mess someones life up. ive been around guns my whole life never at the wrong end though ill pass the class with ease!

yeah thats what i figured i dont need the paint to match perfectly just good enough till next year when it gets a total paint job!

thanks Klitch

Old 04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Pictures as Promised!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Bullet Hole