Need some first time help/ advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 07:58 AM
|
Need some first time help/ advice?

Well I'm off work next week and my black truck looks a little beat up from are Canadian winter from all the salt and sand.
I'm going to attempt to give my paint a good detail to bring back the WOW/Pop to the paint. I read the sticky on detailing. Which is great.
This is what i was thinking of doing.

1. Wash

2. Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System

3. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl Remover 2.0

4. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze

5. Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax Paste 2.0

Would this sequence be good. Do i need to do a paint cleaner between step 2 and 3? Any advice would be great from the experts out there. Now take into account I'm in Canada and cannot readily find some of the products Ive read in the detailing forum.

Thanks Irish!

Last edited by Irish FX4; 04-14-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2008 | 09:08 AM
Moderator &
It's a decent procedure... pretty standard.

Sight unseen, no one here will be able to fully assess your situation and be able to say that this is 'the way' to go.

Again, it's a pretty standard 'wash, clay, polish, protect' procedure so, all in all, you're probably pretty safe.

As for the paint cleaner -- kind of unlikely that you'll need it on a 2004. #9, while is isn't a super aggressive 'cleaning' product, will do some of what a paint cleaner will do -- just on a more minor scale.

-RP-

Old 04-14-2008 | 09:08 AM
Without pictures its impossible to know if you need more than #9 for any paint correction. If you have lots of minor swirling, you're probably better off with #80.
You might want to use #80 instead of #9 and then do a test spot with #7 afterwards and compare to see if you think you still need to do the rest with #7. If you don't notice much of a difference, then there's no need to put #7 on the whole truck. Some will tell you that there is a big difference, some will tell you that there's minimal-to-no difference. It's up to you. In my experience, I don't see enough of a difference to justify taking the time to put #7 on after using #80. To each his own.
You can always do a test spot with #9 and see if it does what you want it to (using the least aggressive approach first technique)

Old 04-14-2008 | 10:42 AM
glc
On a black truck, you may want to top the NXT with a pure carnauba for more pop.

Old 04-14-2008 | 10:56 AM
Do you want to hide the imperfections or remove them? Will you be doing this indoors or outside? Are you using a buffer or doing it by hand? Is the paint factory or not?

Old 04-14-2008 | 11:21 AM
|
Wow lots of good advice allready. Thanks.
I will be doing it out side and it is factory paint. I do have a orbital buffer. But had not put much thought into using it or doing it by hand. There are only minor to medium swirls on the paint and a not so bad scratch about 8 - 10 inchs long going accross the fuel door that i seemed to pick up last week.
I'll try to get that out with some maguairs scratch-X.
So if i wanted to get rid of the swirls i would need somthing more agressive the #9?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Irish FX4; 04-14-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2008 | 12:06 PM
glc
I'd be very careful if you use an orbital - it's too easy to damage the finish if it's not used properly. A DA is a lot safer in the hands of a less experienced operator.

Old 04-14-2008 | 03:55 PM
|
Originally Posted by glc
I'd be very careful if you use an orbital - it's too easy to damage the finish if it's not used properly. A DA is a lot safer in the hands of a less experienced operator.
Hey GLC,

What are the does and don't s when using a orbital buffer? Would the Meguiars Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl Remover remove light swirling?

Thanks again.

Irish.

Old 04-14-2008 | 03:57 PM
glc
I'd better defer to the pros here - I'm not sure enough and don't want to mislead you.

Quick Reply: Need some first time help/ advice?