1ST Detail, and kinda lost

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 05:03 PM
|
1ST Detail, and kinda lost

Ok so I am going to tackle my truck in the next week or so. I have a lot of light swirls. I am going to wash, clay, and probably do the 3 step process. I was going to use ScratchX for the whole truck, but is it worth it or is there an easier way? I have read the posts on the proper way. What is ScratchX the equivalent to on the Megs line ie 80, 83. I want to do it right but then again am the newbie, and you are the pros. By the way the truck is red

Old 04-16-2008 | 05:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I would use meguiars #80 to help remove the swirls. Then move on to waxing and lsp. Scratch-x is a completely different animal, I would not recomend using it on the whole truck. I know some of the more expirenced members will be able to give you a better idea of what to use. But I would seggest posting some pics of the paint you are going to be trying to repair. Its alot easier to give advice if we see what we are working with.

Old 04-16-2008 | 05:16 PM
I agree that pictures of the paint issues would help.

If you have very minor swirling, it's possible that the first two steps in the 3step system you mentioned will indeed help out. If you have more serious issues, you may want to step up to #80 by hand, or something similar. If you have much more serious issues, doing it by hand may not yield the best results.

It all depends on what you want to get out of the detail, and what you're dealing with now.

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:04 PM
|
I'll get pics as soon as I ca. I am stuck at work for the next 16 hrs

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:07 PM
Have you read the sticky? That sohould do several things:
1. When you are not running BS EMS calls, you can do something
2. edumacate yerself!

BTW-- if you need lights or whatnot, check out my classified ad (or shoot me off an email). I cant say much here-- against forum rules, but let me know if you want more info.

Quick Reply: 1ST Detail, and kinda lost