Oily Residue Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oily Residue Cleaning

After removing my NXT Wax/Sealant, sometimes it leaves behind a sort of oily residue in random small spots that's a PITA to remove. Normally it happens on the hood or flat surfaces like door panels

Is this normal and indicative of me needing to put my elbow grease into my MF towel to remove the stuff, or is there an "professional anecdote" to resolve this?

It's not easy to see, but upon close inspection it's there.

Thanks!

Last edited by kars85; 04-16-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:25 PM
I am interested to hear the answer to this, too... So far, I have decided that it comes from having too much product sit for a bit in one place, but this is only a guess... My paint almost always looks blotchy until I QD it...

My solution has been to:

1. Apply wax
2. Remove wax (this is where you see it, right?)
3. QD the entire truck. It seems to even it out...

Old 04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
My guess is two things.

1. amount of product used
2. "dry or cure" time of the sealant.

In the past I have had had terrible luck with Megs 21, topping it too soon with bad results and having to redo the affected area.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 PM
That's a good idea to use QD to even it out. After doing the NXT process, laying down my coat of caranuba, I never thought to hit the "high" spots with QD.

Great idea.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 PM
What do the directions say on the back of the bottle? Does it say anything about cure time or dry time? Just wondering I don't use that product.

I can tell you that with Megs 21 if it is not cured, a QD don't get rid of the streaking.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
What do the directions say on the back of the bottle? Does it say anything about cure time or dry time? Just wondering I don't use that product.

I can tell you that with Megs 21 if it is not cured, a QD don't get rid of the streaking.
100% AGREED. I usually let #21 sit on there for about 45 mins before removal, then I wait to top it until 24 hours because of the streaking. After 24 hours, I QD (to remove dust mainly, but it helps a touch) then use #26. No need to QD again after #26 unless you just feel like it OR you are using somethign like 4-Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer or UQD.

JP-- after using #21 again for the first time in ages, I can now remember why I liked EX-P so much. I know, I know, you told me so... (memories of EX-P, Nattys Blue, SSR 3, SSR 1, and S&W just flooded my head... And the flavor of Nattys Red!!! )

BTW-- for some reason, that pink FK #425 pops into my head... Is it depth/pop-enhancing or just a QD? I cant remember... Is it any good?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
100% AGREED. I usually let #21 sit on there for about 45 mins before removal, then I wait to top it until 24 hours because of the streaking. After 24 hours, I QD (to remove dust mainly, but it helps a touch) then use #26. No need to QD again after #26 unless you just feel like it OR you are using somethign like 4-Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer or UQD.

JP-- after using #21 again for the first time in ages, I can now remember why I liked EX-P so much. I know, I know, you told me so... (memories of EX-P, Nattys Blue, SSR 3, SSR 1, and S&W just flooded my head... And the flavor of Nattys Red!!! )

BTW-- for some reason, that pink FK #425 pops into my head... Is it depth/pop-enhancing or just a QD? I cant remember... Is it any good?
Ryan, I haven't used FK#425

funny, I just ordered more EX-P and a full set of Lake CCS pads from SM.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Ryan, I haven't used FK#425

funny, I just ordered more EX-P and a full set of Lake CCS pads from SM.
Really? I cant remember if RP said it was good or not... Maybe I will search in a bit...

Dont rub it in... If I had the space to put more goodies, I would (and I think you know it, too...) By the way, did I tell you that I have the other wrench? Perhaps I can bring it by one weekend... How soon you need it? If necessary, I can mail it over there.:o

Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
By the way, did I tell you that I have the other wrench? Perhaps I can bring it by one weekend... How soon you need it? If necessary, I can mail it over there.:o
Great news as Lowes didn't have another one....

I don't need it right away but if you are in the area, you know the "special hiding" place I use for drop offs and pick ups if you are in the area.

(Shhhhh, the hose wheel cart)

Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Great news as Lowes didn't have another one....

I don't need it right away but if you are in the area, you know the "special hiding" place I use for drop offs and pick ups if you are in the area.

(Shhhhh, the hose wheel cart)
Gotcha!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
NXT 2.0 needs to be applied in the shade in a very thin layer and rubbed in a bit. Then it has to completely dry before removing. If you do that, you shouldn't have a problem with spotting.

Quick Reply: Oily Residue Cleaning