Tonneau Cover Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau Cover Maintenance

I have a Ford soft tonneau cover and was wondering what would be the best product to use to clean, and maintain it? I sure don't want to use any products that might lead to cracking or other problems in the future. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Is it just a vinyl type material? Should only need regular car soap to wash it. To protect it Id use something like 303 Protectant.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 PM
extang tonic- dont know what the official take is on this product.
but i used it on my last tonneau cover, havent tried it yet
on my new one. i thought it worked great.

http://www.extang.com/docs/tonnotonic.html

Old 04-20-2008, 11:54 PM
303 is great for this kind of thing.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:50 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
I've been using Megs Natural Shine on my Lund Genesis soft cover - it looks great and lasts a long time, but it DOES run and streak down the bed sides when it rains.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I've been using Marinize's Vinyl-Aid, a cleaner & conditioner, its what I use on the boat seats and such. I have waiting been to top it some ASD at the next cleaning. Anybody ever put ASD on a tonneau cover ?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I've been using Megs Natural Shine on my Lund Genesis soft cover - it looks great and lasts a long time, but it DOES run and streak down the bed sides when it rains.
I hate that streaking crap... I use either Ultimate Quick Detailer or Eagle One Wax As U Dry on all my plastic and soft bed cover and it keeps it looking brand new and zero streaking when it rains. The Wax As U Dry actually must have some good cleaners in it because it will pull dirt out and get my microfiber dirty when I do the bed cover right after a pressure wash and a soap scrub but the Ultimate Detailer beads water much better... both look about the same on the plastic and cover.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
I'll have to try UQD next time - I use it on the rest of the truck after a wash anyway.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I'll have to try UQD next time - I use it on the rest of the truck after a wash anyway.
Yea, it keeps it looking just like brand new. It doesn't enhance really, like a tire shine will totally look different then just a brand new tire, and I don't think it will bring back faded/non-maintained finishes, but if you use it while you're still in good shape it will always stay that way. I see 04 trucks and the plastic is faded (especially the piece around the back window) and mine looks beautiful, brand new, pristine- like brand new pieces where just installed and my truck sits outside 24/7 through all the elements, lol.

Actually I take that back about not bringing back faded parts... When I got my truck the original owner didn't take care of it to the level I would to keep it mint and the front plastic grilles where starting to turn light grey from dark grey and after a couple washes and passes with Wax As u Dry they turned back to the nice dark grey. I think Wax As U Dry just has heavy cleaners in it because even after a 3700psi pressure wash down and soap scrubbing it will still pull dirt, grime, (or oxidation maybe?) out of the plastic pieces/soft bed cover (like a clay bar will pull crap out that normal washing doesn't - Wax As U Dry is liquid clay for plastic, lol.)

Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I have a soft tonneau cover on my '06 H/Davidson

truck and the paperwork that came with it said to not treat it with anything, since its already treated at the factory. When I have put something on it, like 303, etc., it makes it look good, but it attracts dust, dirt, faster, and as everyone else has said, when it rains, it runs off and leaves streaks down your paint. The texture of it makes it harder to clean - you need a brush or something strong to get dirt out of all those places.. Here in the tree-falling-crap-24x7-world of Washington, I dont know yet what to use to keep it clean short of finding a place in the garage.. Good luck. DanF

Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Smile Thanks

Thanks very much for the info guys - much appreciated!!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:27 PM
every company has a prefered product...

Old 05-05-2008, 01:51 AM
i used meguiars rich leather on mine. sure its vinyl or maybe pleather or somethign but it sure came out nice.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover Maintenance