Complete disgust and frustration

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete disgust and frustration

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong and I would appreciate any and all help.

I got a DA for Christmas and the weather is finally cooperating enough for me to actually use it. I'm trying to remove some very light scratches from my wife's black Mustang and am having no luck at all. The scratches were induced from our previous ignorance of the proper method of washing and drying a vehicle.

Anyway, here was my procedure.

Wash with Meg's Gold Class, 2 buckets
Clay with Meg's
#80, W8006 pad with DA on setting 5, very light pressure, 2 passes
#80, W8006 pad with DA on setting 5, medium pressure, 2 passes
#80, W8006 pad with DA on setting 5, me practically sitting on the damn machine
#80, W8006 pad with DA on setting 6, light to medium pressure

Nothin'

So, I decided to call it a night, grab some pictures and call in the cavalry. I couldn't even get any good pictures, save for one.

The white spots all over the place are sling from the #80. I'm too frustrated to even wipe it off. The scratches should be pretty obvious, though.

Again, any and all help appreciated.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Couple things. First, don't' get down, this takes a little practice. You are in the learning curve right now. It's normal.

I don't think that 80 was meant to be used that fast. 5 is pretty fast.

There is a chart that RockPick posts here often I highly recommend you print it out and keep it handy. It covers Megs products pretty good.

Sling is due to a few factors. Too much product and going too fast.

It's is kind of best practices to spread the product by blotting it if you will on the surface then use a lower speed to spread the product in your working area.

Once that is spread you can pick up the speed a little but don't go over the speed recommended by Megs for that product. What happens is, product gets too hot and will clump, and thus not break down properly.

Using a DA takes a little practice, its not going to be magic the first time in your hands, it takes a little time to get the "hang of it"

As for the pressure, I don't think pressure in this case makes a difference.

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look that bad, I bet it looked worse before you started working on it. Sleep on it and try another pass with the DA set at a lower speed and only work on a 24X24 section. Go slow, spread the product, over lap, go side to side, up and down. I do X's too, I just try to cover the product and work it in slowly.

Go slow....you'll start to get the hang of it once you see the results of going slower.

EDIt, got to thinking, when starting out, don't be afraid to work a smaller section use the product longer. For instance, try a 12X12 section and work that in for 2-4 min. Then check your results.

Last edited by RollingRock; 04-19-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Suspended
Go SLOW !! I'd also only use #80 at Speed 4.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Go SLOW !! I'd also only use #80 at Speed 4.
Agreed. Just be patiend and work slowly. Make sure you work all the product in and you dont use too much.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks, RR.

I never thought for a second that going too fast would be an issue. I have that chart on my computer... somewhere. I'll find it.

I have been applying product to the pad, spreading it around manually, then turning the DA on setting 1 and spreading it. Then I cranked it up to 5 and watched nothing happen but the stuff being slung all over the car.

Patience. I read it all the time on this forum. I need to implement it a little more and be better prepared for what I'm doing.

I've calmed down a bit and am headed out to the garage to try again for a little while.

Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks too, to Gator and Thumper.

Thumper, our GT is nowhere as cool as yours, but I hope to make it just as shiny.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow evening with some results.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by SleepyMax
Thanks, RR.

I never thought for a second that going too fast would be an issue. I have that chart on my computer... somewhere. I'll find it.

I have been applying product to the pad, spreading it around manually, then turning the DA on setting 1 and spreading it. Then I cranked it up to 5 and watched nothing happen but the stuff being slung all over the car.

Patience. I read it all the time on this forum. I need to implement it a little more and be better prepared for what I'm doing.

I've calmed down a bit and am headed out to the garage to try again for a little while.

Thanks again.
Trust me, what you are experince is normal, lots of us admittedly or not has said WTF am I doing wrong here?

Take your time run a slower speed on the day work a smaller section and then it will click...pay special attention to how the product looks fresh and what it looks like after it is broken down. Once you find that "sweet spot" you can work a larger area with the same results b/c you know what to look for.

Also different lines react differently. Some will turn dusty when done. Some won't.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SleepyMax
Thanks too, to Gator and Thumper.

Thumper, our GT is nowhere as cool as yours, but I hope to make it just as shiny.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow evening with some results.

Anytime. It really helped me to get the how to dvd on using a dvd. Its a great buy and really shows you how to properly work it. Reading on here is one thing, but seeing it is completely different. Anxiously waiting these pics.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 AM
5 is fine for the top end of DA speed.

as mentioned above by several. patience.

slow down the speed at which you are moving the DA across the paint.

work smaller areas.

make sure you are working the product until it is broken down.

here is the speed chart.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Progress!

I successfully removed some of that spider-webby crap out of the paint.

I was definitely using WAY too much product and wasn't letting it break down properly. No chance I'll get the whole car done today, but I'll see how far I can get.

Makes detailing a lot more enjoyable when you see progress

Old 04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Learning curve at work.

Thrilled you got it all figgured out.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:28 PM
not that the elders have ever done it.... but

Not to hi-jack.. but once you have spattered the cowl, railings, steps, mirrors, etc etc.. is there any 'magic' way to clean it off!

I swear I could burn the whole truck into a cubic foot of ash and all that would be left is little white speckles!

Cheers!
Bob P.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:52 AM
When you here this you will most likely be a skeptical as i was but, it is a miracle cure and only costs a couple of bucks. Cooking oil will dissolve and remove splatter. Place a small amount on a terry cloth or mf towel wipe on and then remove..trust me it works.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
EDIt, got to thinking, when starting out, don't be afraid to work a smaller section use the product longer. For instance, try a 12X12 section and work that in for 2-4 min. Then check your results.
is it really key to spend that much time on a small area?
ive always done everything by hand, but i thought a da would make it go faster??

Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by bmw4422
is it really key to spend that much time on a small area?
ive always done everything by hand, but i thought a da would make it go faster??
You've got to properly break down the polish each and every time. The DA does make it go much faster, but it's not instant gratification. The DA will take out far more imperfections than by hand.

Quick Reply: Complete disgust and frustration