Showroom New Trim Restorer vs. Black WOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Showroom New Trim Restorer vs. Black WOW

I'm debating what to order. I've had about all I can take of my fading plastic. I really need something for the cowl, and also the bed rails. The rest of the exterior plastic is in pretty good shape.
Which one should I go with? I know they're different products. The TR is a dye, and the black wow is more like a really good armorall type of product. I used the Bondo Restore Black, which is similar to the TR, and I did not care for it at all. The black wow costs about 2x as much.
I've seen the results of both and have to say I am impressed with each product, but I guess I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks about the two.
PS - I really like the water beading action of the Black WOW. Makes it look nice and protected. Does TR have the same effect?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Here's some pictures so you know what I'm working with:

The bed rails are in similar shape, but not quite as bad. The rest of the plastic looks pretty good.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Not to make your choice worse but here is what i use.
I highly recommend this product much easier to apply and works great.

Go to the link then go down to the 5th Item and order it. I buy it by the case.

http://detailingdepot.com/productsea...ategory=speitm

Old 04-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Is that stuff in an aerosol can? I think that would make a big mess. Plus, on the lable it says it's a conditioning spray for rubbers. I don't know how good of a job that would do on hard plastic.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Yes it is an aerosol and it works great on hard plastic, and while you do get some overspray from it. It cleans up very easy with detail spray and a MF.
I have been using it for years and I won't use anything else on exterior trim. I also use it under the hood. I wouldn't have recommended it If i did have first hand knowledge and experience with it.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 AM

Does anybody else have any opinions?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 AM

I can't give any opinions right now as I just got a bottle of Black Wow from ADS. I will have to wait a while to use it since the forecast is for rain here for a while. Based on what I've heard and seen, I went with Black Wow. I hope it's as good as it sounds!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Uhhh.... I cant believe that Bondo Restore Black didnt do it for you... Mine looks darn near as good as when I did it over a year ago... So, I guess if I was you I would pull it off, buy a couple of cans of Krylon Fusion (Black and clear) and go to town on it and all your other trim. Then I would maintain it with something like Stoners Trim Shine... But that's just me.

If you didnt want to paint, I would try BlackWow. Not to discredit Richard, but with BlackWow, you dont have to buy it by the case in order to make it look good... But maybe Richard works with more than a few vehicles... He can add his input on that matter... Also, with a spray, you get overspray...None with BlackWow.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 PM
You do not have to buy the In and Out spray by the case to make it work that was a ridiculous assumption on your part, I mean come on now.
I buy it by the case for a few reasons. One is I get a better price on it that way, it also saves on shipping and I also have many vehicles i use it on.

One can will last for approx. 6-8 applications on the F150 doing all my black exterior trim and under the hood. And like i said the over spray is such a minor issue it isn't even worth worrying about. The over spray cleans up with detail spray and a MF super easy. And i can assure you it is much easier and faster to apply the in and out spray than it is to apply that Black wow by hand with a sponge.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Just to jump in here...when using "spray" as a medium for product...why not spray it on an applicator then apply it to the surface? That one is easy. There are many products that come in spray form and you have to be smart and figure out how to use them to make it work for you.

As for the two other products you listed. I only have experince with BW, Ticman is your guy for Showroom...he pioneered using it here and has the proceedure down pat. Others too.

Looking at your truck, I think I would take a stab at BW first. And know that 1 application is not going to do it. Follow the instructions, do it once, dry it off. Use a damp MF to "buff" it, then wait a few hours. Then apply again.

There is a video on their site that shows how it works, check that out.

If that doesn't work, try the Showroom later.

I do think that BW is better than Poorboys TR...but they are a little different,

BTW, i think you should remove the cowl to do the application so you can go at it better and not lean over your fenders.

Free Tip: take an old Megs foam applicator (they are cheap anyway) and cut off a 1.5 X 1.5 section and use that for your application so you can control it better.

Last edited by RollingRock; 04-21-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Richard D
You do not have to buy the In and Out spray by the case to make it work that was a ridiculous assumption on your part, I mean come on now.
I buy it by the case for a few reasons. One is I get a better price on it that way, it also saves on shipping and I also have many vehicles i use it on.
Hmmm... That came out wrong. Here is what I meant:

with the stuff Richard uses, it must take a lot since he buys by the case.

BUT--- I didnt know you also did the engine bay with it. That uses a LOT more than just the trim alone. Then, the last part in the above quote was kinda what I figured, hence the "But maybe Richard works on more than a few vehicles" clause-- keep in mind I only work on mine and only occasionally do I get to do others' cars. So to me, a can should last a minimum of 2 months... Also keep in mind that being a student, ANYTHING by the case is expensive to me... so when I hear about anything being bought in that manner, it kinda strikes me as odd. (Then everyone else thinks that it is normal and I realize how nice it must be to get paid once in awhile...)

Anyway, again, I was not trying to be rude/discrediting/etc, but mostly it came out wrong. Sorry, man.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03

BUT--- I didnt know you also did the engine bay with it. That uses a LOT more than just the trim alone. Then, the last part in the above quote was kinda what I figured, hence the "But maybe Richard works on more than a few vehicles" clause-- keep in mind I only work on mine and only occasionally do I get to do others' cars. So to me, a can should last a minimum of 2 months... Also keep in mind that being a student, ANYTHING by the case is expensive to me... so when I hear about anything being bought in that manner, it kinda strikes me as odd. (Then everyone else thinks that it is normal and I realize how nice it must be to get paid once in awhile...)

Anyway, again, I was not trying to be rude/discrediting/etc, but mostly it came out wrong. Sorry, man.
Gawg Ryan...you are sooooo rude all the time...what gives? Always disrespectful of the "elders"

Kidding of course.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Gawg Ryan...you are sooooo rude all the time...what gives? Always disrespectful of the "elders"

Kidding of course.

That "poop banana" is absolutely HYSTERICAL!

By the way, I have bad news for you. Nattys Blue doesnt taste as good as Red. In case you were wondering. However, it isnt too bad when put on a bagel... Problem was, I got thirsty after munching, so I had to have a shot of Spray and Wipe. That helped. But after that, I was in the mood for a Grape Nehi. Since I didnt have one, a nice mixed beverage of Sprite and HD did the trick. (Can you tell I washed my truck and added a coat of Nattys today???)

In all seriousness, I was afraid that the flake was going to fall off today. I put some on top of the #26 that was on there, and I was pretty sure that the flake was coming out to get me...And much like the Loch Ness Monster, it was ULTRA wet looking... Thanks again, Chad.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03

No worries it's all good.

The in and Out spray is in aerosol form and spraying it on a applicator first would not work to it benefits. It works great right out of the can the way it was intended. And it certainly does not take much time to do it.

And like i said i buy it by the case as it is cheaper int eh long run doing it this way. I pay like 4.00 per can when buying it by the case as oppsoed to 5.95 or 9.95 if you buy it from Adams. So the savings is huge.

Hmm looks like Adams no longer sells it. Hmm wonder what happen

Last edited by Richard D; 04-21-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 AM
I think they had to reformulate it due to VOC.

Quick Reply: Showroom New Trim Restorer vs. Black WOW