Best way to fix a stratch on a Black Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to fix a stratch on a Black Truck

I was wondering how do you guys fix your sctratches or rock dings in your black paint. I saw a video of this product on youtube and looks really good, http://www.autobarn.net/duscfix2in1p.html. What you guys think, anyone tryed it?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 PM
take a pic of the scratch / ding and i can tell you. if its too deep you need paint, if it is just a surface scratch you could use scratch X or even one of those color wax snake oil things. or be like a redneck buddy of mine...black duct tape and a sharpie...im not kidding.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Suspended
stealerships sell those as well. they help, but they do not provide a permanent answer

Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I've wetsanded, and polished (or touched up and polished) out plenty of scratches in my day. Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't.

Good luck, and take your time and go EASY!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 PM
they are deffinetly deep sratches im trying to find out whats the best way to touch them up with out making it look crap, that kit made look good just wonder if anyone tried it.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Suspended
Can you feel the scratch with your finger nail? If so than you're going to need paint. If not, than you could buy some Scratch-X. I don't have any idea what kind of products you have or anything. A picture would be good, too.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The general rule, that Thumper has mentioned, is that if it catches your fingernail, then it likely can't be 100% removed...

That said, I can tell you that it can be diminished - maybe to a point where you're not as sick to your stomach about it.

This truck (a member of the site):

Had a couple of scratches that were moderately deep. After talking with him before the detail, it was pretty much determined that I'd give it my best shot and try to get them out. While I don't have those before and afters on this machine, I can tell you that I got them to the point that they were not noticable unless you caught them in the right light and at the right angle.

Pictures may help us here... black is finicky.

If you're wanting to give the touch-up paint a whirl, I'd first check with a body shop or two to see if they can recommend any 'chip fix' type of place that may be able to do a nice job. Some of those guys are great, some blow (putting it nicely). If you want to take it on yourself, search around here a tad as there are some really nice tips and 'how-to's' that have been written to guide you in the right direction...

Again, if I was on my home machine rather than my work laptop, I've got a few links to share here that offer great touch-up paint tricks and tips.... I'll try to get those posted back up here soon (if I remember -- odds are that I won't considering that I can barely remember what I did about 3 hours ago)... Searching is a better bet as they've been previously posted...

-RP-

Quick Reply: Best way to fix a stratch on a Black Truck