coated with Pollen dust

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coated with Pollen dust

My truck had just been completely detailed, got two coats of NXT, it looks mint. Well sort of...The garage door had been open on the other bay while I detailed my Altima. Now my truck has a super fine coat of yellow pollen dust

So I was out at the store running errands and I decided to try the California Duster for $10. If it didnt work, I would just bring it back and get my ten frogskins back. Nothing to loose.

The thing actually worked extremely well. I wouldnt use it if the truck had sand or grit dust, but for pollen it was amazing.

Anyone else use this? It worked so well, something must be wrong with using this instead of rewashing the pollen?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Suspended
It's known to cause marring.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I've used the California Car Duster for years with great results. Like you, I only remove light dust or pollen. Sometimes I'll wipe down my truck with detail spray after using the duster.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
marring due to the oils on the duster or from abrasion?

Maybe I will only use it on the tonneau cover or relegate it to dusting the furniture in the house

Last edited by Les22; 04-29-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 PM
My personal opinion, take that for what its worth...

I used one of those CA dusters once.....never again. Took me 15 hours to repair the damage it caused.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by RollingRock
My personal opinion, take that for what its worth...

I used one of those CA dusters once.....never again. Took me 15 hours to repair the damage it caused.
15 hrs? What the hell were you doing with that damn thing?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by tardman91
15 hrs? What the hell were you doing with that damn thing?
.. probably a full detail.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
.. probably a full detail.
BINGO

Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Everyone has an opinion about the Cali Dusters -- here's mine FWIW...

When you take a dry media and run it across a dry media, you generate abrasion. This is exactly how the Cali Duster works...

I will admit that I think that the majority of the problems that are caused by this contraption is a result of human error (pressing to hard, using a blatantly filthy dust head, using it in areas where it shouldn't be used, using it when you should really wash, etc), the bottom line is that there are MUCH safer methods that can remove the pollen. In my opinion, those methods aren't only safer but, they work better.

To each their own... I didn't buy the vehicle but, I will say that I no longer have one, use one, or encourage others to use one.

-RP-

Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
I never had a problem with just removing tree pollen (which is miserable where I live - detail one day, vehicle turns green by the next day). Actually I would only use it for removing tree pollen and nothing more (reason I bought one). I don't use any pressure, I lightly drag the strands over the paint and only let the weight of the fiber strands touch the vehicle. I could see how applying pressure would easily damage the paint.

It's funny because my neighbors think I'm way over the top just because I wash my vehicle once a week most weeks and when they see me come home from work and use the California duster it just totally blows their minds, lol. I don't know, but, 30+ G's on a vehicle is a lot to me and I can't help but want to keep it in the best shape I can - it just blows my mind to see $30,000+ looking dirty/scruffy looking, heh.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Suspended
Ive never used a duster, or even seen one. But, would spraying a QD before using it work?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
I wash the whole vehical first then as I go panel by panel with detailer before I apply any product with a "clean" microfiber. As the product sets up and the pollen accumulates on top of the product I take another "clean" microfiber and just make light sweeps across it just light enough to brush the pollen away more air action than friction. Do not break surface tension of the product! Then wipe it off like a moofoo. I can't think of anything better with the situations we have to deal with. Elders?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:30 PM
they do work, sort of. Its like RP and RR said, think of it like a dust mop retail stores use. Pretty much the same basic idea. though i believe the head of the duster has some kind of wax or coating on it, not sure though. Mine gets washed regularly and misted with a light coating of QD before each use. simply spray, let the QD soak in for a second or two (so its not getting rubbed all over the truck in a bad way) then LIGHTLY dust. this product should not be used in place of a wash. Its mainly for situations like the OP posted about, garage kept vehicles that haven't left the garage before dusting.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 AM
I agree with emig5m. Don't apply any pressure to the duster. LIGHTLY go over the paint. It's best for removing pollen, and only safe to use the first day or two after a wash. Any thick buildup of dust should be washed off.

It's also important to have a good coat of wax to begin with.

I use the duster to remove pollen, then QD and micro fiber towel to touch up after that.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM
I have officially removed myself from this thread.

Good luck with the dusters.

JP

Quick Reply: coated with Pollen dust