nxt and carnuba

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did a small test area w/ just nxt and the water beads up pretty well

Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 PM
You should take a side by side picture of the beading with NXT and no LSP, or compare it to something else.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 PM
i will try to tommorow

Old 04-30-2008, 01:02 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
So based on this thread, the looks of NXT arent that great? Hows the durability?
To me, NXT 2.0 by itself, 2 coats, not topped with carnauba, looks great. It seems so far to be VERY durable, if you use UQD after washing it almost makes it look like you just waxed it and it boosts the polymers.

For non-OCD'ers, I can honestly say that going right from clay to NXT 2.0 will satisfy most people out there. My stepdaughter and I did her 01 Catera this weekend - I clayed it for her, then handed her the ScratchX and told her to hit wherever she saw scratches while I took a nice break. When she was done I used NXT 2.0 while she did a complete interior detailing. She is **** about appearance but not quite OCD, and she was very impressed.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I'll poke in for this one.

I think what we have here is semantic confusion and a little misinterpretation.

Anytime a Polish is used it has enough abrasive quality in it to remove surface imperfections and thus is somewhat considered a cleaner. sort of.....kind of....A product that is considered a pure polish is just that, no other properties in it, no wax, no sealer just polish.

When you talk about a product that has no real abrasive quality and you use the word "pure" most of the time this is used to describe a glaze.....

I agree with Dan and Boss here on this one...

Take PB EX as an example. It is a sealer with carnuba in it...there is no need to top it, however if you top it with a carnuba LSP product it works just fine and it many cases, it can enhance the depth.

If you were to use PB EX-P, that is a 100% pure sealant...and it is perfectly fine to top that product with a carnuba LSP but not with another polish/wax combo but like EX, some people do not feel the need to top or stack. Its a personal preference.

As you can see, it is somewhat dependent on which line or combo of products you are working and the choices you have for the desired results.

I sure hope that came out right, i haven't had an adult beverage yet so my thinking could be a little out of line here.
Meguiar's though does not consider a "polish" to do any cleaning. That isn't how they describe their products. I agree with the glaze part (Show Car Glaze, New Car Glaze). But, GC is not a cleaner wax (it will not clean [remove defects]), it is a wax with "glaze"/oils in it. You can top NXT with GC and not have problems because GC won't remove/clean anything. I went 2 months with that combo, and it was still A-OK when I just decided to put some NXT 2.0 on just because.

If it didnt have any Carnauba in it, then I would think it would be called a sealant, not a wax. Its my understanding that synthetic waxes have polymers/acrylics along with some Carnauba. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showpo...29&postcount=3

Im waiting for a reply from Meguairs.
Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant is essentially the exact same, except that it can be applied with a rotary and available in larger quantities. My understanding, from being on MOL for years, is NXT is only a synthetic wax. Meguiar's also uses wax and sealant, for the most part, interchangeably.

Last edited by roushstage2; 04-30-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by abervintageman4
i did a small test area w/ just nxt and the water beads up pretty well
Water beading up isn't really a sign of protection or how well the wax is working.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Water beading up isn't really a sign of protection or how well the wax is working.
does that mean you will stop posting this?

ZING........

Last edited by RollingRock; 04-30-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by RollingRock
does that mean you will stop posting this?

Nope !! I love that picture, it's beautiful !!

Zing !!! Dontcha know you're not supposed to wear white after Labor Day !?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by glc
To me, NXT 2.0 by itself, 2 coats, not topped with carnauba, looks great. It seems so far to be VERY durable, if you use UQD after washing it almost makes it look like you just waxed it and it boosts the polymers.

For non-OCD'ers, I can honestly say that going right from clay to NXT 2.0 will satisfy most people out there. My stepdaughter and I did her 01 Catera this weekend - I clayed it for her, then handed her the ScratchX and told her to hit wherever she saw scratches while I took a nice break. When she was done I used NXT 2.0 while she did a complete interior detailing. She is **** about appearance but not quite OCD, and she was very impressed.
Pretty sure the second layer would just be removing the first layer.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Pretty sure the second layer would just be removing the first layer.
Two coats to ensure proper and complete coverage..

ever mindful of the law of diminishing returns.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok just to be on the same page.. before applying the second Coat of NXt, you buff of the first right...

Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Suspended
Yes and wait for the first layer to cure before applying the second coat. 12 hours is usually long enough.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Two coats to ensure proper and complete coverage..

ever mindful of the law of diminishing returns.

Overrated. Pay attention to how you're applying it and you wont be missing spots.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Suspended
Overrated. Pay attention to how you're applying it and you wont be missing spots.
There's more than one way to skin a cat. It doesn't mean one way is wrong. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Just sharing my feelings...

Quick Reply: nxt and carnuba