Question for you Detailing Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for you Detailing Gurus

Ok, last weekend I tried the NXT 2.0 on my wife's Fusion, and I will say it looks pretty good. I hand washed the car with Meg's Deep Crystal car wash, followed by Meg's clay bar, followed by Meg's Paint cleaner, followed by Megs polish, topped off with 2.0. Now, with all of these products on the car, and I did say it looked pretty good, and its smoother than ever before, but the products weren't as easy as everyone had made them out to be. The 2.0 went on great, hazed up, but when I used the microfiber towel to remove it, it left what appeared to be dark spots throughout the car, so I followed it up with a once over with the Quickdetailer by Meg's, and they were gone. My question is this... I used Zaino on my old car, 96 Trans Am, jet black... and it was easier than putting tireshine on... from step 1 to finish... and I could do this in the direct sunlight on the black car... I'm thinking about switching to Zaino, but is there any tips someone can give me before I waste all of the Meg's product? I would like to put on another coat to her car this weekend, but I don't want to deal with the uneven dark spots again...

Thanks in advance...

Semi Satisfied 2.0 user in Oklahoma...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
You have to wait for the wax to dry, not just haze.
The Swipe Test

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by roushstage2
The Swipe Test
So this would also cause the "oily" residue left behind after removal? I forgot to mention this earlier.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by roushstage2
The Swipe Test
Correct. If you're too lazy to read the link. All you do is wait 10-20 minutes. Take a clean finger and swipe it against the finish. If there is no smudge, oily residue etc than it's ready for removal. If it leaves some haze, smudge, oily residue etc than you need to wait longer. Warm climates usually take 10 minutes and wet climates around 15-20 minutes.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Correct. If you're too lazy to read the link. All you do is wait 10-20 minutes. Take a clean finger and swipe it against the finish. If there is no smudge, oily residue etc than it's ready for removal. If it leaves some haze, smudge, oily residue etc than you need to wait longer. Warm climates usually take 10 minutes and wet climates around 15-20 minutes.

I did read the link... just not use to something leaving an oily film on the car... I ate dinner and cleaned the dishes while that crap was drying...

Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Zaino easier then NXT, man I dont know about that.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Suspended
As I branch out from just solely using Megs, Ive come to realize that there are a lot of great products out there made by different companies. It all depends on what works best for you and what results you want. Some like Megs, some like PB, some like Mothers, some like Adams, its all opinion and all based on personal opinion. No ones right and no ones wrong. Stick with what works best for you.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by gators241987
As I branch out from just solely using Megs, Ive come to realize that there are a lot of great products out there made by different companies. It all depends on what works best for you and what results you want. Some like Megs, some like PB, some like Mothers, some like Adams, its all opinion and all based on personal opinion. No ones right and no ones wrong. Stick with what works best for you.
That's the best advice, find something you like to use and use it often. The only time I had a little trouble with NXT was when it was really humid outside, or when I tried to wax while it was raining outside. Then it just took a really long time to dry, normally by the time I wax the whole truck it's ready to come off.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Try putting it on thinner, polishing it in a bit more, and letting it dry longer.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
Zaino easier then NXT, man I dont know about that.
I was thinking the same thing. NXT is probably one of the easiest things to remove short of a lot of Poorboy's products.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Try putting it on thinner
Good advice.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
the two main things to concern yourself with when applying the NXT.

1. THIN and EVEN application.

2. Allow to properly cure prior to removal. this could be 15 minutes to 45 or even longer, depending on conditions like temp and humidity.

issues with either one of those steps can lead to the things you experienced.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
the two main things to concern yourself with when applying the NXT.

1. THIN and EVEN application.

2. Allow to properly cure prior to removal. this could be 15 minutes to 45 or even longer, depending on conditions like temp and humidity.

issues with either one of those steps can lead to the things you experienced.
110% agreed.

BTW-- Gip, where you been, man??? I havent seen you around these parts in forever!!! Glad you're back!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey when applying the NXT, should you be using a back and forth motion, or circular??

Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by diggman08
hey when applying the NXT, should you be using a back and forth motion, or circular??
I use a circular motion for most of the vehicle. Back and forth for places like the A-Pillar and close to the fender wells.

Quick Reply: Question for you Detailing Gurus