need some advice on ordering.... calling all elders.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some advice on ordering.... calling all elders.

ok guys, i know that i could probably search all of this stuff but i think that it would be faster if i just asked and it would probably be helpful to others to have this information all in one place. ok.. on to the questions.

i have a brand new 2008 Black FX2. i am wanting to do a first full detail on the truck and im looking to buy quality supplies through one of the main sources that you guys usually buy (ie: ADS, Autogeek). i am looking at buying a G-100 to speed up details and allow me to fix future problems as they arise. currently right now i do not have any quality supplies to apply my product to the truck and want to get those supplies again to prevent causing problems now and also to aide in the future. i do however have the product that i need to put on the product. the product that i am using is going to be:

Megs gold class soap.

Megs smooth surface clay kit

Megs #7

Megs NXT 2.0

Megs #26

what will i need to apply these products to the truck? where is the best place to get them? and if at all possible a part number for them. im guessing what i will need is pads for the application using the G100, MF towels to remove the product once applied to the truck, some type of waffle weave for drying after washes. am i forgetting something else? thanks in advance guys.

justin

Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok... well before you get creamed lemme be the first to ask if you've read the sticky? if not, do so.

Now with that said, if you purchase the g100 (if you can't find one the G110) you will need pads. You can go with either Lake Country or Meguiars. I personally use Meguiars, so i cannot comment on the LC's but from what i've read the people that use them love them, but as far as the Meguiars go, You will need the W8006 (Polishing Pad) and the W9006(finishing pad). You want one pad dedicated to one product. Therefore get like 2-3 W8006's and say 1 finishing pad, or how many ever you see fit. ADS has a good deal on 6-pack pads both LC and Megs.

I would pick up a 4-pack of Meguiars foam applicator pads (these are like 3.59 for the pack from ADS). These are what you are going to apply the products by hand with. Again, note that there are multiple brands available for everything, however I use the Meguiars stuff (and subsequently what ADS mainly sells) so thats what i'm commenting on.

For the Waffle Weave and the MF towels. You will get one Supreme Shine towel with the clay kit. ADS sells these in singles or 3-packs, which obviously the 3-packs are more economical. Also, Meguiars makes the waffle weave towels, again single pack or 3-pack.

Those are my recommendations. Have you checked out ADS's DA Package deals since you said you are going to purchase all of the stuff. Rick will definitly hook you up.

Just My .02

Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
ive read the sticky but it didnt go into depth on the actual pads and what not to use. or maybe i missed that.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're doing pretty well... I wouldn't use the #7 in your scenario...

Here's your pad selection for the Meguiar's product-line (you'll get the other chart soonn... it always gets posted after this):

Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
RP, what are you thinking - maybe #9 or #80 instead of the #7?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Suspended
Use #80 instead of #7. Rick put up a new special on pads, get some. Also, pick up some hyperdressing. You cant beat the $29. Get some quality MF's as well. Supreme shine is fine, although if you want the best, get some ultra-plush from Ranney at pakshak.com. Try the PB black hole since you have a black truck. Im thinking you will like it. Stay on top of your truck while its new and remove the dealer swirls and you should have an easy time with it.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 PM
why use #80 instead of #7? and thank you RP for that chart it is exactly what i was looking for to help me order. from what i see i need to snag a couple w8006 and w9006 pads.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
The #7 is a pure polish and doesn't do any paint correction. The NXT will do the polishing.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 PM
u dont really need to do any paint correction. the truck only has 1600 miles on it. i figured that since there is no paint correction needed that the #7 would be best.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 PM
u dont really need to do any paint correction. the truck only has 1600 miles on it. i figured that since there is no paint correction needed that the #7 would be best. im kinda new to this so i could be wrong.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight05
u dont really need to do any paint correction. the truck only has 1600 miles on it. i figured that since there is no paint correction needed that the #7 would be best.
If the paint is exactly where you want it right now, I'd totally concur with you on skipping the abrasive polish step. I made an assumption -- my apologies...

That said, you're really not going to gain a significant amount by using the #7. My suggestion, do half of your hood with the #7 (thin thin thin thin thin) and then do the other half without. Assess. Do what you feel like you need to do from that point...

So, in short, if it looks good, go with it. If it's kind of a wasted step in your eyes, blow it off and go to the NXT.

-RP-

Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 PM
thanks RP. you guys are always a help. ill get the mandatory pics up when i get the stuff and get her detailed.

Quick Reply: need some advice on ordering.... calling all elders.