Interior Got Wet

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Got Wet

Does anyone have some ideas for dealing with this situation? Late last summer about a quart and a half of salt water leaked onto the back seat of my '99 extended cab. It was a few days before I discovered what had happened and with the windows always being shut in my truck it developed an odor. Soon the cold weather caught up with me and I didn't get around to dealing with it. I figured during the winter I shouldn't try to shampoo it as the cool temperatures would delay the drying. I unbolted the flip up seat bottoms and they don't smell too bad. I think the majority of it is coming from the carpet back there. Aside from a spray of lysol I haven't really done anything yet. Is there a product that anyone could recommend?

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are a little pricey buy the only way I know to completely eleminate the smell is to, get an ozone generator. It acutally gets rid of the smells not just covers them up. Thats what restoration companies do with smoke damaged goods. Plus it leaves your truck smelling like it does after it just rained. Hope this helps

Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
One thing to try is one of those carpet steam cleaners that has a hose attachment to get it thoroughly clean. If you do that, leave the windows open till it's completely dry. Another thing to try is Blue Coral Dri-Clean Plus upholstery cleaner, scrub it in, let it dry, and then vacuum.

The best simple spray-on product I've found for simply killing odors is Odo-Ban. Walmart carries it, it's on the same shelves as Febreze and works a lot better. Lysol is only a masking agent, and it's temporary.

Quick Reply: Interior Got Wet