Clay bar questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar questions

Hoping to do the clay bar this weekend or first of next week, as long as the weather holds out.

1. Picked up the mequires claybar system, do I use the whole bar or rip part of it off?

2. At what point do you know the clay bar is done for and you need to buy another?

3. After washing the truck. Do you use the same way like when washing? (start at the top and wash everything at the bottom last) or do you just do panels/sections at a time. Disregarding the washing procedure.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by FX4Screwdude
Hoping to do the clay bar this weekend or first of next week, as long as the weather holds out.

1. Picked up the mequires claybar system, do I use the whole bar or rip part of it off?

2. At what point do you know the clay bar is done for and you need to buy another?

3. After washing the truck. Do you use the same way like when washing? (start at the top and wash everything at the bottom last) or do you just do panels/sections at a time. Disregarding the washing procedure.

Thanks
1. Split the bar into 2 or 3 pieces. This way if you accidentally drop one of the pieces, you can just throw it away and grab another.

2. You'll be able to tell. If your using it on just your truck it'll last a while.

3. Just do a section at a time, and make sure to use plenty of lube.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
The Meguiars bars in the retail kit are already quite small, and there's 2 of them. I used the whole bar, I think breaking it would make it too small to handle easily. The clay that you order is in considerably larger bars which do need to be broken up.

I've done 4 vehicles with one bar, and it looks like it's ready for retirement now.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
The $15 Meguiars kit I bought only came with one 8oz bar. I did the whole truck with it and then just trashed it. Thats only because I have never done it in 4 years and the damn tar roads around here leave all kinds of black spots.

2 sq ft sections, that way the lube doesn't run off as bad and you don't end up wasting it.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
glc
Hmm - the pro stuff from Meguiars (blue, red, and purple) is sold in 200 gram bars - that's about 8 oz. The Smooth Surface Clay Kit comes with two 50 gram white clay bars - or at least the one I bought at Autozone in January did.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry, I had to go check. I bought the mothers kit.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Suspended
I thought the Smooth Surface Clay Kit only came with one piece of clay ...

Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 PM
glc
Nope - Megs Smooth Surface is two 50 gram white bars, Mothers is a single 80 gram bar, and if I'm not mistaken it's yellow. This being the case, if you get the Mothers, bust the bar in half, or maybe thirds if you are comfortable using a piece that small. You may be comfortable using a Megs bar busted in half, if so, go for it. I'm personally not.

Both kits come with QD and a sample of cleaner wax, and Megs throws in a MF too.

Quick Reply: Clay bar questions