New Truck, Deep Gash, Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck, Deep Gash, Looking for Advice

Hey folks,

Been lurking for a few months. First post looking for help. Bought a new S-Crew FX2. She was born on March 5. I took deliver on March 20. Then over the weekend I noticed a nasty gash in the side driver's side door! I think it happened some time on Sunday. Geez, had the truck barely two months and already a nasty scratch.

So I looked over this forum and found out that Scratch-X was good. I tried it earlier today and did nothing more than clean up the scratch, which looks lighter. The scratch is long and almost "U" shaped. The Scratch-X was effective making most of it less visible, but there are two marks in there where the color turns from white to an almost orange-red color. I fear that the paint has been scratched to the metal.

So here are some pics. First from the side:

Another pic dead-on:

And one last pic from a distance:

After applying Scratch-X and putting some elbow greese on it. The scratch is cleaner and when I rub my fingernail accross it you can barely feel it on the light areas. The dark areas (orange-red color), you can really feel it.

Any advice?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No simple answer here...

You've presented something that can't be removed with a traditional detailing product.

You can either try to touch it up using tube touch up paint and then wet sanding it back to flat or it's body shop-thirty.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the answer.

So ... next up is touch up paint I guess.

Just to double check. This means cleaning it up real good. Putting some touch up paint on it. Sand it and polish it. Put a clearcoat or sealant on it. Is that pretty much the only way? And is this something that an amateur can do or should I consider a body-shop?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you dont seal it or prep it, you'll see that neat scratch creeping back up sometime down the road.

my trucks faded (good old red!) so i'm gonna go to my fav bodyshop to have a small bottle of touchup paint made that will match better.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:33 AM
the pitfalls of black also you see everything
when i picked up my truck it had some nicks and dings
the touchup worked great just take your time

Old 05-07-2008, 01:18 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
If it's a brand new truck, I'd recommend a body shop. There is no way an amateur will be able to touch that up without being noticeable. That's gotta be sanded, blended, and finished.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree that a person with a lot of paint experience (body shop) would need to repair that in order to get it to look good. Paint and sanding will be needed but won't need to be blended. No other panels close enough and it's a new truck so the new paint will match. I'd say it's a 3 hour job so it should be around $150.

Quick Reply: New Truck, Deep Gash, Looking for Advice