Death by clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death by clay bar

Probably a stupid question for you pros but I am not sure.

I have an oxford white truck and have rail dust all over the truck. I am sure the white makes it easier to spot the rail dust spots.
I had the problem last spring but it seemed like the billion tiny rust spots have come back again. I am not sure if all the salt they dump on the roads in the winter magnifies this problem but man this is a pain. Last year reading this forum I found out what the spots are and found that clay bar will remove them. It just seems that I can not get them all not matter how much time I spend on a panel they still seem to be a few here and there. I noticed tonight that after claying while applying the cleaner wax after clay and rewash that the wax appeared to either remove some of the small left over spots or at least hid them so they are not so apparent.

Is there an easier way to get rid of some of these smaller spots than using just a small clay bar?
Did the cleaner wax actually remove some of the smaller spots?
If so and I break down and get a porter cable and learn how to use it perhaps with like a cleaner wax or equivalent will it help remove rail dust at all?

I may have a bit of OCD but if you really get up on this truck the little rust spots seem to be all over the truck and my poor arms can not take much more!!!

Honestly I am settling for that looks ok and better than when I started but I really would like to get rid of every spot or close to it if I am going to put in the time.

As always thanks for any help.

TT

PS. can a normal guy like me run a porter cable? I am scared to death of ruining the paint with a rotary tool of any type.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 PM
What type of clay bar are you using. I think that meguiars has a mild blue and an aggressive red. Maybe try using a more aggressive clay bar?

Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
You could try a good paint decontamination kit like this...

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

Or this...

http://www.autoint.com/M-32.php

I've used both with various levels of success.

If nothing else, your paint will be very clean and smooth... cleaner and smoother than any claying can do.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I have the clay that comes in the little kit at local auto parts store. The two I have are megs white clay bar and mothers yellow clay bar.
I am not sure if there is a difference between those two in aggressiveness but they both seem to do about the same job.

Where would you recommend ordering just clay online?

Thanks very much for the reply and the help.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks Boss 429 I will look at those kits now too.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
What type of clay bar are you using. I think that meguiars has a mild blue and an aggressive red. Maybe try using a more aggressive clay bar?
Although I can see where you are going with this, I am thinking it will take a different tactic rather than more agressive clay.

Blue clay will remove everything red will-- it just takes longer to do it.

To the OP-- yes, the CW will remove some of the spotting-- the abrasive/chemical cleaners in it will help out some.

I think that you should probably invest in some of the Meguiars Deep Crystal System step 1 (The cleaner step). Follow the directions, and it should help out. If this doesnt do it, Meguiars Color-X is another fantastic product. Yes, I am aware that there are all sorts of professional products out there that will cut it, but sometimes an A-line product does just the trick, and often I find myself using a consumer line product for smaller problems to avoid the time input (typically on others' cars... )

Yes, any old fool can use the PC. With few exceptions, the only way to really hurt your paint with a DA is to throw the buffer at the truck (obviously this is sarcastic). Pretty much, if you use common sense and invest in the training DVD, you will be golden. Best detailing investment I ever made.

Quick Reply: Death by clay bar