lookin new?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lookin new?

I need some advice on what products to get. I just bought my truck almost 2 weeks ago, and I would like to do a full detail and wax job on it. It finally quit raining, so its pretty dirty. I've washed it about 4 or 5 times in the last 2 weeks, but I havent had a good chance to clean it like I want. Its a used black truck, so the previous owner managed to put swirl marks all over it. What swirl remover products, clay bars, wash, and wax's would you recommend, oh and what order with steps. My other 2 vehicles are white, so I havent really had to go to work to get them looking nice.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rednoved
I need some advice on what products to get. I just bought my truck almost 2 weeks ago, and I would like to do a full detail and wax job on it. It finally quit raining, so its pretty dirty. I've washed it about 4 or 5 times in the last 2 weeks, but I havent had a good chance to clean it like I want. Its a used black truck, so the previous owner managed to put swirl marks all over it. What swirl remover products, clay bars, wash, and wax's would you recommend, oh and what order with steps. My other 2 vehicles are white, so I havent really had to go to work to get them looking nice.
welcome to the CD section, I recommend you start by reading the detail sticky.

If it were me, I would invest in good car soap, clay, pick a product line and get started.

Start off the truck right, by claying it. Like any craft, the end results depend on the proper steps.

Starts with washing and claying a new surface. From there, you have lots of choices.

JP

Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 PM
is there any brands you would recommend? I think the weather is supposed to be clear for a while. Im off tomorrow, so I figured Id go ahead and donate some time to cleaning it.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Suspended
Welcome to this part of the forum. Now how much are you willing to spend on products/tools? Are you willing to invest in a PC 7242?

Also can you post pictures of your problems? It's hard to suggest proper products without knowing what you're working with. My favorite companies are Meguiars and Poorboys. www.PoorboysWorld.com

Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by rednoved
is there any brands you would recommend? I think the weather is supposed to be clear for a while. Im off tomorrow, so I figured Id go ahead and donate some time to cleaning it.
you'll get lots of opinions on this and rightly fully so, there are great product lines out there. They are each subjective and like anything, each line has some duds and some gems.

If you are going to get started tomorrow, you prob don't' have access to a DA yet, so its probably best to go with the Megs line that you can buy just about any where.

Get the Clay kit, an extra bottle of Spray Mist QD, and the Megs products.

Someone will have to jump here to tell which ones you will find at your local stores, i am just not as familiar with that particular line of Megs products.

This will get you started and down a good path.

After that, if you get the OCD bug, you may want to look at other products and experiment and have fun.

We are here to help you along your journey, we are not paid to post here but we are all very passionate about detailing.

Let us know what else you need and good luck !!!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I dont mind spending some money on the truck to take care of it. I would love to invest in having the right tools to work on it, but somethings will have to wait, I really want to mod the truck a lot too. I like megs products. The swirl marks arent bad. Im probably the only person that notices it or looks at it, but I think most people are like that when they car about their vehicles. Im just confused on which products in the megs line. Should I get a the DC paint cleaner, or ScratchX? Car wash, NTX or DC or Gold Class? Is the polish worth it? Its kinda confusing because a lot of the products claim to do the same thing, but say its the best. I have a Waxmaster WB9000. Ive never used it. Is it good for anything? haha

Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Suspended
Well I'd definately invest into a PC 7424 when your funds allow, it'll change your whole game. My suggestion is to stick with Meguiars A-Line, their consumer grade (Red Bottles). Wash with Gold Class, Clay with the Smooth Surface Clay Kit, Polish, NXT, and than Gold Class Wax. Wait 12 hours before applying the Gold Class Wax though. NXT needs a cure time otherwise you'll just be removing the NXT.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 PM
thanks a lot for the help. ill try and take some before and after pics.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:08 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Black truck - using readily available products by hand?

Megs Gold Class wash, quality wash mitt and quality drying towel
Megs Smooth Surface claybar kit
Megs ScratchX (for scratches that the cleaner doesn't get out)
Megs Deep Crystal steps 1 and 2 (cleaner, polish)
Megs NXT 2.0
Applicators for all products except the NXT, it comes with a foam one, I use microfiber for the other products
Quality microfiber towels for product removal

Top that with a pure carnauba - someone help me here with a recommendation for something that Wallyworld or Autozone would have?

The Waxmaster is an orbital. It's pretty decent for applying the polish and wax, but it doesn't have what you need to do much paint correction. You would have to match the correct bonnets to the product.

Last edited by glc; 05-08-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Suspended
Meguiars Gold Class.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Black truck - using readily available products by hand?

Megs Gold Class wash, quality wash mitt and quality drying towel
Megs Smooth Surface claybar kit
Megs ScratchX (for scratches that the cleaner doesn't get out)
Megs Deep Crystal steps 1 and 2 (cleaner, polish)
Megs NXT 2.0
Applicators for all products except the NXT, it comes with a foam one, I use microfiber for the other products
Quality microfiber towels for product removal

Top that with a pure carnauba - someone help me here with a recommendation for something that Wallyworld or Autozone would have?

I haven't had the opportunity or time to detail my truck yet but I'll be topping the NXT 2.0 with Mother Carnauba Wax. I have a black truck as well, and I've heard that will give the black paint that extra bit of shine.

Quick Reply: lookin new?