Tire cleaning idea...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a friend of mine ruin a set of $2,000 wheels from using it on his car. Sad thing was that his car didn't even have white walls so it wasn't really a big need for the stuff. The chrome was ruined, first it got cloudy and eventually it started peeling up. I won't use it, ever. A stiff bristled brush and Meguiars APC+ and it'll have it looking great. After that you can just keep it regularly washed and you'll be good to go.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I had a friend of mine ruin a set of $2,000 wheels from using it on his car. Sad thing was that his car didn't even have white walls so it wasn't really a big need for the stuff. The chrome was ruined, first it got cloudy and eventually it started peeling up. I won't use it, ever. A stiff bristled brush and Meguiars APC+ and it'll have it looking great. After that you can just keep it regularly washed and you'll be good to go.

Im going to order some of that now but I have a question b4 I do. Does the APC+ need to be diluted with water like HD? If so I will purchase another spray bottle. So Thumper your saying APC+ over Simple Green? Cool.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 PM
lol. somebody just told me to put some gas on the white letters.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
Im going to order some of that now but I have a question b4 I do. Does the APC+ need to be diluted with water like HD? If so I will purchase another spray bottle. So Thumper your saying APC+ over Simple Green? Cool.
YES!!!! Dilute, please!!! The bottle has all sorts of dilution ratios for you so you can know.

and YES!!! I think APC+ is superior to SG. But some people already have SG, so I typically make a point of mentioning it...

There are many uses for each. I have BW, APC+, Simple green (straight up), Simple Green (1:1), and a bunch of specialized cleaning agents...

Old 05-18-2008, 06:16 PM
ok so what ratio should I dilute the APC+ to clean my white letters on my wheels. One other thing. What is the big diff b/t APC and APC+

Old 05-18-2008, 06:25 PM
ok so what ratio should I dilute the APC+ to clean my white letters on my wheels. One other thing. What is the big diff b/t APC and APC+
I will let some others chime in as to the ratio-- only because I dont remember what I used. Also, I typically dont use it for tires-- I use it mainly on bad wheels and engine bays...

The difference (aside from color and smell) between APC and APC+ is that the '+' is signifying that it has fabric softeners added to it-- it is great for spot cleaning (I know that both me and RP keep a bottle handy around the house for that). Thus you have a lot more versatility with what you spray it on.

BTW-- RP- do you have a photo or some other identification marking that I can use to discern between the new formulation of APC+ (which neither of us like as well as the older stuff)? I would like to find a gallon of the old stuff locally, but I dont know what to be looking for. I guess that other than this, MPPP, and #16, I never get to experience shopping for decidedly old products...

Old 05-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Suspended
Yes APC+ needs to be diluted with water, a lot of water vs the amount of product. I'd order the Meguiars APC+ bottle that ADS sells. It's one of my favorite Meguiars products now that I've used it. I've used two whole bottles since I got my order.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 PM
I go for the old fashioned method, a scrubbing brush & a bucket of soapy water followed by some copious sprays of tyre foam seem to work pretty well, just let it dry before driving.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Yes APC+ needs to be diluted with water, a lot of water vs the amount of product. I'd order the Meguiars APC+ bottle that ADS sells. It's one of my favorite Meguiars products now that I've used it. I've used two whole bottles since I got my order.
Thumper Im going to order some of this now from ADS. Are you sure this will do the trick to get my letters back white.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Thumper Im going to order some of this now from ADS. Are you sure this will do the trick to get my letters back white.

Let me just say that APC+ is VERY strong....it will remove skin...ask me how I know.

Dilute it or use with casution and wear gloves.

JUST an FYI, its strong but the + means that it has a carpet softerner in it...if the ratios are right of course.

Will it make your white letters pop out? Sure.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Let me just say that APC+ is VERY strong....it will remove skin...ask me how I know.

Dilute it or use with casution and wear gloves.

JUST an FYI, its strong but the + means that it has a carpet softerner in it...if the ratios are right of course.

Will it make your white letters pop out? Sure.

What dilution would you recommend that I start with for the tires? Is the bottle process the same as with HD in that you fill it to the ratio line with water and the remaining with the APC + up to the line where it starts to form the neck

Old 05-19-2008, 01:44 AM
What dilution would you recommend that I start with for the tires? Is the bottle process the same as with HD in that you fill it to the ratio line with water and the remaining with the APC + up to the line where it starts to form the neck
Man....I am probably the worst person here to ask about ratios...there are only few products I really ratio properly. That being said, you could prob do a 10: 1 with APC+.

I use it two ways...these are not the proper ways:

1. Poor some in a spare bucket and add water....use a brush to dip in the solution and clean wheels and wells.

2. If there is NO wind, I will use my spray bottle and stray 1:1 on the wheels and still use a brush dipped in WATER to do the tires.

This much I can tell you...when you spray it on, allow a little time for it to work down...you will be amazed on how much "stuff" will come off the tires.

Like I said, I am not the model of how to use APC+ properly....I like short cuts.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Suspended
I was under the impression that 4:1 was for wheel wells, tires, etc while 10:1 was for carpet, interior.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 PM
ok I just ordered a gallon of APC + and a APC spray bottle. Any other ideas on the ratio

Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Suspended
I'm pretty sure what I said is what the bottle says or rather implies ...

Quick Reply: Tire cleaning idea...