Tire cleaning idea...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:53 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire cleaning idea...

So I was taking a shower and thinking about cleaning my tires. Why? I don't know. I'm weird like that. I'm one of those people that will sit there and completely out of the blue start laughing about something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand or even a topic discussed at any recent point in time. I just have random thoughts at really random times. Everybody knows somebody like that so don't look at me (figuratively) like that. Anyway, scrubbing tires, especially ones with aggressive sidewalls, can be kind of a pain in the ***. I was thinking about how they have those carpet brush attachmens for the DA. I was wondering how well one of those would work on a tire or, hell, even a wheel well if you had the room. Just a random thought. Feel free to shoot it down and call me stupid. I have broad shoulders.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 PM
good idea but it seems to me that combining high rpm's and an aggressive sidewall tire would tear that brush up

Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I got 2 of those "Sonic Scrubbers" for Christmas with the pack of automotive brushes. That thing works damn good on tires! Just an idea. A lot smaller and a lot more convenient than a PC.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Suspended
seems to me like that would just make a mess and would be hard to control. I'd rather just use a big brush, but thats just my prefrence. You might as well try it and see how it works

Old 05-16-2008, 06:22 PM
yup, good brush and good APC is what you need. I've often tried to recreate the wheel but usually revert back to the ways that work.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Suspended
I LOVE Meguiars APC+ !!!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 PM
esf
Originally Posted by RollingRock
yup, good brush and good APC is what you need. I've often tried to recreate the wheel but usually revert back to the ways that work.
That's what I do now. This thought just popped into my head though. I wasn't trying to find an easier way. I might have to give it a shot anyway. I just don't think I'll be satisfied until I see it fail.:o

Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I LOVE Meguiars APC+ !!!

Don't inhale the "vapor" from it...it will hurt...just ask Ryan...

Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 PM

Not nearly as bad as the wheel bright or pad cleaner from pinnacle. I got sick as a dog from cleaning my wheels then pads and breathing that crap.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Suspended
I bet, my girlfriend could smell it from the house door leading to the garage when I was washing my car.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I bet, my girlfriend could smell it from the house door leading to the garage when I was washing my car.
I am doing the undercarraige on Sat, going to be using the breather for sure.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:59 PM
ok now I know that this has been discussed b4 but this one is for the record. I cleaned my truck last week and it looked great. I scrubbed my tires, they looked ok but not great. What should I use b/t these two products to get my white letters clean. Simple Green or APC+

Old 05-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pmason718
ok now I know that this has been discussed b4 but this one is for the record. I cleaned my truck last week and it looked great. I scrubbed my tires, they looked ok but not great. What should I use b/t these two products to get my white letters clean. Simple Green or APC+
Some may disagree with me, but I like Westley's Bleach White. Use a stiff bristled brush and go to town. This product does contain a small amount of acid so it is possible that it could harm your wheels if you don't use it correctly or completely rinse the tire and wheel after. I've been using it for years with great results and never had any problems with it.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ian51279
Some may disagree with me, but I like Westley's Bleach White. Use a stiff bristled brush and go to town. This product does contain a small amount of acid so it is possible that it could harm your wheels if you don't use it correctly or completely rinse the tire and wheel after. I've been using it for years with great results and never had any problems with it.
Exactly! Been using it for many years, never messed up a wheel. Occcasionally, I have tried the more expensive stuff and nothing has done as well.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by ian51279
Here are my thoughts on the Bleache White (henceforth abbreviated as BW):

Yes, it is very strong. It is a derivation of Hydrofluoric Acid (HF) at a small concentration (If I remember correctly, its something like .17 or .017%). Keep in mind, though, that it is the same chemical used to etch concrete...

That said, it does a FANTASTIC job of quickly cleaning tires VERY well... I typically use it on vehicles that have lots of mud embedded in the tires, vehicles that have been SEVERELY neglected, or vehicles that have horrible brake dust engrained in the tire... Yes, something like APC+ or Simple Green (albeit at 4:1, 2:1, 1:1, or straight up) will work eventually, but sometimes speed is necessary...

So, I dont typically recommend BW for the weekly washer. It can really screw things up if/when the overspray gets on your paint/rims. However, with caution and infrequent use, you *should* be fine.

The weekly washer (or heck, even the guy who washes monthly) will do fine with Simple Green. At that often of washing, the harshness of BW is unnecessary. However, if you are the guy who washes less than 12-14 times a year, then it may be useful to get something more powerful, like BW.

I realize that the other products out there will do a similar job of cleaning, but they take a little more time. Time is something that I typically dont have when I am detailing. So, if you dont mind spending an extra 2-5 minutes per tire (assuming you wash less than 10-12 times a year), then SG is plenty good for you. But if speed is the need, go for power.

I know, this kinda beats around the bush, but I am hoping to present to you as much of a non-sided response with as much fact and as little opinion as possible.

NOW HERE'S MY OPINION:
I like BW a LOT. It gets used on every customer car and on neglected friend's cars. It gets used on mine when I do a big detail and I want to make sure that I remove ALL of the grime. That comes out to SG on the tires with normal wash soap on the rims for the normal wash vs. BW on the tires and SG on the rims at every major detail. Intermediate wax-touch ups are NOT considered big details for this description.

That clear as mud enough for ya?

Quick Reply: Tire cleaning idea...