Poorboy's Detail (pics to come)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poorboy's Detail (pics to come)

Well I finished detailing my truck with PB's products and the 7424. This is the direction i took with the products:

wash
clay
SSR2.5 Orange
SSR1 green
PP White
BH or WD with Black
EX-P or EX with blue
Nattys of course by hand.

this was my very first time using a DA and i got some great depth and gloss out of the paint. paint correction was hit or miss. i was able to remove about 70% of the swirls but there are still some there that persisted. imo, my truck was not badly swirled. maybe an OCD'er on here would freak out about it, but to the average person, it wasn't terrible. my goal with this was to get that super-clear, super-glossy finish that i see so many pics of. well, maybe next time. anyhow, here's some things i noticed and questions i have about some products.

ssr2.5 + orange pad: removed most of the heavier swirls (duh) the directions say to work the product until you see light dusting. i would work and work a section and never see this. the product would break down until it was almost translucent, but i'm not sure if i worked the product long enough. comments?

ssr1 + green pad: this mother f'er dusted like crazy. about 3 seconds after i turned on the DA, dust was everywhere. the sun was a little stronger by now and i noticed that it dusted slightly less on the shady side of the truck. should PB's products optimally be used in shade even though they say otherwise? the ssr1 did remove the marring that was created by the 2.5.

PP + white pad: made the paint pop ever more slightly. seemed to fill/remove a few more swirls, though with a careful look, you could still find some. product never "dusted" so i just used my judgement on when it was broken down or not.

Black Hole + black pad: this was my favorite step. BH really added a lot of gloss and depth. since it's a glaze and not a polish, i pretty much just evenly applied it all over the truck, trying to work it in as best i could. couldn't tell if it was broken down (is it supposed to break down?)

EX-P + blue pad: pretty much the same as above with the BH.

Natty's Blue by hand: it's a wax. wax on, wax off. no different than any other wax i've used before with respect to application, though i did like how it preserved the shine and gloss, rather than slightly dull the shine like some waxes i've used.

so to finish: i'm happy with the outcome being my first time. i know there's probably a lot of room for improvement in my technique, though i tried to follow the north, south, east, west method as best i could.

any coments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. pics to follow shortly of course it had to rain a few hours after i finished.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Pics

Old 05-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a pretty solid process. I am going to be using my flex for the first time this weekend I think I am going to use pretty much the same process. I would like to see what you get for responses on how they break down. I would really like that info.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same experience my first time using the DA (i've only done about 3 vehicles) but the first was my truck. I only used #80 on a W8006, but I got alot of depth and gloss, and a good bit of the swirls out but it's still swirled.

Can't wait to see pics! I'm really curious to see that BH

Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Big Slick
Well I finished detailing my truck with PB's products and the 7424. This is the direction i took with the products:

wash
clay
SSR2.5 Orange
SSR1 green
PP White
BH or WD with Black
EX-P or EX with blue
Nattys of course by hand.

this was my very first time using a DA and i got some great depth and gloss out of the paint. paint correction was hit or miss. i was able to remove about 70% of the swirls but there are still some there that persisted. imo, my truck was not badly swirled. maybe an OCD'er on here would freak out about it, but to the average person, it wasn't terrible. my goal with this was to get that super-clear, super-glossy finish that i see so many pics of. well, maybe next time. anyhow, here's some things i noticed and questions i have about some products.

ssr2.5 + orange pad: removed most of the heavier swirls (duh) the directions say to work the product until you see light dusting. i would work and work a section and never see this. the product would break down until it was almost translucent, but i'm not sure if i worked the product long enough. comments?

ssr1 + green pad: this mother f'er dusted like crazy. about 3 seconds after i turned on the DA, dust was everywhere. the sun was a little stronger by now and i noticed that it dusted slightly less on the shady side of the truck. should PB's products optimally be used in shade even though they say otherwise? the ssr1 did remove the marring that was created by the 2.5.

PP + white pad: made the paint pop ever more slightly. seemed to fill/remove a few more swirls, though with a careful look, you could still find some. product never "dusted" so i just used my judgement on when it was broken down or not.

Black Hole + black pad: this was my favorite step. BH really added a lot of gloss and depth. since it's a glaze and not a polish, i pretty much just evenly applied it all over the truck, trying to work it in as best i could. couldn't tell if it was broken down (is it supposed to break down?)

EX-P + blue pad: pretty much the same as above with the BH.

Natty's Blue by hand: it's a wax. wax on, wax off. no different than any other wax i've used before with respect to application, though i did like how it preserved the shine and gloss, rather than slightly dull the shine like some waxes i've used.

so to finish: i'm happy with the outcome being my first time. i know there's probably a lot of room for improvement in my technique, though i tried to follow the north, south, east, west method as best i could.

any coments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. pics to follow shortly of course it had to rain a few hours after i finished.
If the surface was getting warm (in the sun) they tend to dry up too fast and thus dust, but I have never seen SSR1 Dust after 3 seconds. Did you load the pad with QD before putting product on it?

As for getting "most" of what you wanted out of the paint, you have done the really hard correction part. Anything left you can hit it again later or use just the SSR1 with the green pad and work on selected problem areas. Save that Orange for another day. The PP on the white after SSR1 should have added more depth then "ever so slighly" That tells me you got good results from the SSR1, is that right?

When I work with the SSR's, I do not wait until dust, infact I rarely see dust, but then again, I never work in sun thus my surface temps are usually normal. What I do is recognize when the product is breaking down, it changes in appearance and a good way to tell is to watch how the pad patterns the product when you first start, note the consistency. As the heat and friction start to break down the polish will change in consistency and the pattern if you will on the surface will also look different. That may not make sense to you or anyone else reading this but it does to me.

You find your way the more you play with the product and tools.

Lets see those photos

Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock

You find your way the more you play with the product and tools.

Nice read there, RR...

I think you're hitting the nail on the head with the quote above. As is true with most things, practice will make you better (I don't believe in perfection -- although, Heather Locklear... uhh, nevermind)...

I'm with the other guys now... let's get those pics!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I think the sun had a lot to do with your problems. PB's say they're safe in sun, but anytime I've had sun on the paint, or even started detailing after running the car (hot hood,) it never seems to work right.

As RR eluded to, you'll start to notice what things should look/feel like with more practice.

Pics man!

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
sorry guys, i'm trying. it rained last night so i used some QD to get rid of the spots and wait for better light. wouldn't you know it, it f'in rained AGAIN, so I need to QD it again. i swear you can't win for losing.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I have a question that I was hoping ya'll could help me with. I have searched these forums, as well as forms on poorboysworld.com, and I cannot find exactly what I'm looking for. I am used to Tropi-Care products, which basically includes one swirrel remover, one polish/sealant, and one wax. Poorboy's offers so much more variety that I am having a hard time finding each product's place in a detail. RR, I think it was you that said WD and BH are great products between details, but what about as a apart of a full detail? I guess I'm making this a lot harder than it really should be. I know it's a glaze and I always just assumed that it would come just before the LSP. I'm glad you created this thred Big Slick...I love to see the products/processes that other people use. Looking forward to see some pics.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by AsheFX4
I have a question that I was hoping ya'll could help me with. I have searched these forums, as well as forms on poorboysworld.com, and I cannot find exactly what I'm looking for. I am used to Tropi-Care products, which basically includes one swirrel remover, one polish/sealant, and one wax. Poorboy's offers so much more variety that I am having a hard time finding each product's place in a detail. RR, I think it was you that said WD and BH are great products between details, but what about as a apart of a full detail? I guess I'm making this a lot harder than it really should be. I know it's a glaze and I always just assumed that it would come just before the LSP. I'm glad you created this thred Big Slick...I love to see the products/processes that other people use. Looking forward to see some pics.
Ok, I'll take a stab at this but please note that products will differ based on surface condition.

A full detail should consist of these steps:
Wash
Clay
Polish (surface correct)
Glaze-optional step
Seal-optional step
LSP
Some folks often use a sealer after LSP.

For using PB's in these steps, here is my take, leaving out wash and clay b/c those should be fairly obvious on products to use:

Polish-surface correction products: SSR's, 3, 2.5, 2, 1 (you need to step down polish these products, 2 after 3, 1 after 2 etc) SSR1 can be used solo if needed.

Or

Polishes-Combo's: PwS, PwC, PwC-Blue, three products there

Or Lastly,

Polish with the least amount of abrasive: Professional Polish

Next step-----------------------------

Glaze Products:
WD and BH. These are glazes with concealing properity to them. They can be used in between full details.

Next step-----------------------------

Sealers:
EX and EX-P, EX has carnuba in it, "could" be used as a one step product. EX-P is a pure sealant.

Next step------------------------------

LSP's. Nattys, Red (Special), Blue and Orginal (Often referred to was white)

Ok, there you have it, those are the products in "order"

Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks RollingRock...glazes are new to me. Now it's time to try one out.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AsheFX4
Thanks RollingRock...glazes are new to me. Now it's time to try one out.
Having used many of the Tropi-Care products - including the TC Swirl Cutter and XP - I think that you'll be quite pleased with the Poorboy's products.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Having used many of the Tropi-Care products - including the TC Swirl Cutter and XP - I think that you'll be quite pleased with the Poorboy's products.
Funny you say that. There was a time over a year and half ago, I guess, when I had to make a decision on which product I was going to go deep in....I picked PB over TropiCare. (It seems to me that TC has cut back their line a lot over the last year or so) Anyone else catch that?

Sorry, to be OT here Attworth.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Sorry, to be OT here Attworth.

I'm too tired to know what you're talkin about..

You'll definitely be happy with PB's though Ashe

Old 05-23-2008, 12:52 AM
I think when you do a full detail and post pics you should always give your pads and speeds. It's so helpful for most people starting the detail trend to know how the detail was done.

BTW, yours looks amazing.

Quick Reply: Poorboy's Detail (pics to come)