Rubbing out very light scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rubbing out very light scratches

Probably a dumb question, and I searched a little, but didn't really find what I was looking for (I know that's what everyone says!).

Anyway, I was driving on a dry, dusty offroad trail with sage brush lining each side of the trail and sometimes it got a bit narrow.. It was a blast though!

The scratches go from the front fender to the rear tail light on both sides. Maybe a dozen 'lines' on each side within a 12" strip, but are so light that you can't even feel them. You have to come up to within a couple of feet to even see them...

I've got some Meguires Scratch X, but my question is, do I have to do the whole panel (from top to bottom) or can I just work in the 12" strip where the majority of the scratches are?

I've not even done a 'test' area yet, but thought I'd toss the Q out to the detail experts anyway!!

Thanks!

Mitch

Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might be able to see where you polished the paint and those strips of paint where you polished might look better then the rest of the car. This is why I tell customers I dont like to do spot buffing.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks Dan,

That's what I was thinking too. The truck is the stock 'Royal Blue' or whatever name it is for the dark blue metalic, so I'd bet that this color will probably show even more if I only half assed it and did only the scratches....

But, for the rest of the panel, I wouldn't have to work out any scratches, so do I still have to rub it as much as the area where the scratches are?

How much, if any of the original clear coat would be left on an 11 year old truck?? It's garaged kept while at home, but it is a daily driver too.. I've don't have any faded paint anyplace on it, so maybe there is still some clear coat?

Mitch

Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM
You shouldnt have to rub as much on the rest of the panel. I wouldnt be concerned about going through the clear.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitch,

If it were me, I wouldn't use ScratchX anyplace other than where the scratches are. In fact, I don't think I'd use it at all. While ScratchX does have some abrassives, it also has a whole lot of fillers. So it may do more hiding than removing...

I'd get some Meg's #80 Speed Glaze. It has a nice amount of "bite" to it, and it also leaves the surface looking very wet and glossy. And since you said that you can't feel the scratches, and can only see them up close, I'd bet that the #80 would take them out without breaking a sweat. Plus, if you use it on your entire truck, it will also remove some of the minor swirl marks that an 11 year old truck is bound to have.

Oh yeah, if you decide to go with the #80, be sure to put a nice coat of wax or sealant on top of it to seal in the shine. Meg's #26 or NXT 2.0 works well if you want to stay with Meguiar's.

Last edited by bamorris2; 05-27-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
I would agree with bamorris.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Suspended
Probably a dumb question...but I am a newb to CD. Can you do the #80 with a buffer, and do the entire truck?

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 AM
#80 can be used by hand or machine.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Probably a dumb question...but I am a newb to CD. Can you do the #80 with a buffer, and do the entire truck?
Guess that is what I get for not returning phone calls.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 AM
Thanks bamorris2,

That makes a lot of sense, and yes, the scratches can not be felt at all. I'll look for the #80 Speed Glaze and give it a try..

Or, keep the scratches as a 'badge of honor'! ha, ha...

Naw, I'll work 'em out.

Thanks again,

Mitch

Quick Reply: Rubbing out very light scratches