For the whites out there!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For the whites out there!

Trucks, that is. I'm a newb when it comes to detailing. I have my Wal-Mart stash in my garage and it does a good job but I want to get really serious like some guys on here. I see a bunch of guys talking about Megs' number system. And, can someone make a list to make Oxford White really stand out? I think I can make her shine, but you guys are the only ones I can count on to help me bring out the "Ford" in "Oxford White"

Thx! Looking forward to seeing some expensive shopping lists :o

Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Trucks, that is. I'm a newb when it comes to detailing. I have my Wal-Mart stash in my garage and it does a good job but I want to get really serious like some guys on here. I see a bunch of guys talking about Megs' number system. And, can someone make a list to make Oxford White really stand out? I think I can make her shine, but you guys are the only ones I can count on to help me bring out the "Ford" in "Oxford White"

Out of Office Automated response:
"I cannot respond b/c I have hung myself."

RR's Last Will and Testament
use the......S.E.A.R.C.H butttttton...

Thanks, my 4K'th post was maybe my last one here....

Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Suspended
First and most important, get a G100 or Porter Cable 7424 with pads. Also some good hand applicators.Good products to start out with are Meguiars #80 which is a polish to remove surface imperfections. Poorboy's White Diamond is a glaze which would be applied next. It's made specfically for white and lighter colors, it's amazing. I've got it and use it on my girl's Satin Silver S197. Than get some Poorboy's EX-P or EX Sealant. EX has some carnuba in it. EX-P is a pure sealant. Top it with a carnuba of your choice like Meguiars #26, #16, there are a bunch out on the market. Also get Meguiars #34, Final Inspection, it's one of the best QDs IMO.

I'd also spend the money on a bunch of good microfibers. I just put my first order in with Pak Shack but they are supposed to be flat out awesome. They are expensive but I'll be able to tell you if they're worth it, I'm sure they will be.

Also invest in these other products ... Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and Meguiars Super Soap. Meguiars Hyperdressing and Meguiars APC+, don't forget to buy the spray bottles for them because they have the correct dilution ratios on them. Use two buckets with grit guards, SM Arnold Lambs Wool mitts. Tire sponges, yellow honeycomb bug sponges, maybe a foam gun. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but other people can add to this.

I use AutoGeek.net and AutoDetailingSolutions.com and they are both great to buy all of my stuff. I've never had a bad experience and they are great to work with. They are both very knowledgable about their products. I hope this helps you out.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by RollingRock

Thumpers response was much, much better... Boo Rolling Rock

Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 PM
There was a thread about this just a few days ago
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336171

Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121

It's really hard to say with white, you will never have the results of a perfectly done dark color car. I too have oxford white and no matter the prep work you cannot get the depth (deep wet look) you can with a dark vehicle. Synthetics work well with white, for that saran wrap look. NXT is great in my opinion and will last very well.

On a well preped oxford white hood, I masked off 3 sections for the LSP #16 #26 and NXT or #21 (I forget which),,, #26 clearly won me over, mostly for the clearity but IMHO was just better. But really, durability has to come into it and I personally think NXT or #21 last longer then #26.

#16 is great on dark colors but I'd not bother with it on white. I've read lots of great stuff on liguid pinacle soveren for light or white paint but have never tried it. I guess thats my next mission,, but I'd never expect to get that deep wet look that one can get with dark paint.

Bottom line good prep work first, allways make a difference. Then find a product you like cause opinions just like mine are all over the map.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock

We can bet that as JP swings slowly from the garage rafters, he's at least done the deed with and extension cord lovingly treated with Hyperdressing and the garage windows were recently clayed so as to make it easier for the CSI's to look in.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 AM
i just did my wifes white car, the products i used are on the rear spoiler pic
the bottle of clay lube is missing the clay bar as its all used up now.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336308

Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM
duplicate post

Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Suspended
Darko21 get some PB White Diamond ... you'll thank me.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Search, followed by more searching. White cars/trucks are a pretty popular item around here...

Old 06-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Here is my combination for durability.

2 bucket wash w/ Megs Gold
Dry with blower and blot with Megs MF
Tape trim
Clay w/ Megs blue using Megs #34 as lubricate
Megs #80 w/DA
ClearKote Vanilla Moose w/DA
PB's EX-P w/DA
Collinite 845 w/DA (put on very thin)

I use DA to apply everything as I am old and use different MF for each application to buff off. I have heard a lot of great things about PB's White Diamond, but have not had chance to use.

Enjoy!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Powercat
Here is my combination for durability.

2 bucket wash w/ Megs Gold
Dry with blower and blot with Megs MF
Tape trim
Clay w/ Megs blue using Megs #34 as lubricate
Megs #80 w/DA
ClearKote Vanilla Moose w/DA
PB's EX-P w/DA
Collinite 845 w/DA (put on very thin)

I use DA to apply everything as I am old and use different MF for each application to buff off. I have heard a lot of great things about PB's White Diamond, but have not had chance to use.

Enjoy!
X2

That's more or less what I did, except for the dry method (towel) and claying (A-line).

Next time around I'll try some S1000 to see if there is a difference, but so far the C845 is my favorite.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, I feel like a 2 year old in Harvard law study lecture....

Sorry if I didn't search, my mind has been out the last few days, lol. Can someone give a price range on the things that powercat and thumper said?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Suspended
Come on, don't be so lazy. Just go to these sites and use their search. It will pull up the products very easily.

www.autogeek.net

www.autodetailingsolutions.com

Quick Reply: For the whites out there!