How do you find the time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you find the time?

I know this is going to sound like a "waaaaaaaaa" b*tchy whine, but to those of you out there with families, how do you find the time to clean your truck? I'm dying because my truck is covered in pollen and dirt, the insides need vacuuming and wiping down.... it's just a mess and it kills me every time I get in it.

I love my truck, and really want to try and keep it clean, but I'm out of the house from 6:30am-7pm with work, then there's yardwork, little league, horse shows and all the other stuff dads do with the wife and kids. How do you guys (and girls, of course) make the time?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 AM
I normally just take a weekend and lock myself in the garage from Friday night until Sunday night. I dont get them often but when I do the vehicles look pretty good by sunday night.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Bought my pc and acc. 2 months ago and tried it out for about 10 minutes, thats it. I have no time to take care of the truck any more. I even bought some #16 and everything is just sitting in the garage. My summer is booked so now im hoping before the fall to do a full detail.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wake up nice and early on a saturday morning while everyone else is still in bed go get it cleaned up and then I can continue the day. Nobody minds bc they are all sleeping anyway. And when I do a full detail I just send them out to do something I dont like doing, which is generally shopping.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I do the same. I get up at dawn on Saturday while everyone is still sleeping. Best time to wash and go at it for me as the sun isnt hot yet and much of my back yard is in the shade. Once I wash it, I dry it and put it back in the garage. Later during the weekend I will put in 15 minutes here or there to put the UQD or dressings on it. Lately my kid who is almost 3 has been catching the detailing bug. She wants to wash her power wheels F 150 all the time, so I have been letting her wash the wheels on my truck. I found that getting the kid involved and interested helps out because when I want to detail my truck, she isnt cranking about having me do something else with her instead.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm glad somebody else feels my pain. I work 70 hours week too and everything has to come together just right for me to be able to wash my truck, which happens like once a year! The fact I don't have a garage and that I work different hours than your standard M-F 9-5 doesn't help either. Lately I've been doing the wash when the sun goes down method because its cooler and by then most "activities" have already come and gone and I finally have some time. But even still, for me to lug out two buckets from the basement, pull the hose out, fill them up, pull out all my washing gear from the basement, spray the truck down, wash it, then wipe it dry, and QD it still takes 1.5-2 hours on top of a 12-18 hour workday is no fun. And thats if I'm hauling ***! Even still, it rains 2 hours after I'm done and when I come home from work the next day, I got two inches of pollen sitting on it again. Why do I bother?

Those touchless car washes are so tempting sometimes, it would make things so much easier. I just can't do it though, at least not during the summer. I don't want to damage my chrome rims!

Its the price we pay to look beautiful!!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
I would love to be able to spend some time on my truck but it isn't going to happen. I have had the truck for 2.5 years and I have never waxed it. I would like to but I don't have the time. I'm lucky if I have time to wash it in the driveway rather than at the car wash (not the touchless car wash).

I think it looks pretty damn good for rarely getting washed and having never been waxed.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I can sympathize with you folks that don't have time - but if you can lock down ONE DAY every 6 months, you can do it. Wash, clay, clean/polish, wax, whatever - and the rest of the stuff that goes with detailing. If you have to use touchless tunnel washes the rest of the year, so be it.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
I wake up nice and early on a saturday morning while everyone else is still in bed go get it cleaned up and then I can continue the day. Nobody minds bc they are all sleeping anyway. And when I do a full detail I just send them out to do something I dont like doing, which is generally shopping.
Same here perfect timing.

Quick Reply: How do you find the time?